Author Topic: new server ? status update  (Read 4607 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
new server ? status update
im sorry if this is confusing ... i have nothing real to say im just hoping that taylor will popin and post where we( in the sense of community, multiplayer) are at,  and what is the update status........

hides in the corner and waits fr the flak
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: new server ? status update
The answer depends on which new server you are referring to.  :D

Here is the basic rundown of everything though:

FS2NetD v2.5:  Client side of this is what is in current 3.6.10 builds and no further changes are intended before 3.6.10 goes final.  Server side it required a massive rewrite and upgrade to support everything.  These server side changes are currently in a state of being about 95% complete.  It meant a big change to packaging, fixing numerous security issues, reworking the code for auto-maintenance, massive changes to make everything be stored in the database as well as properly fixing old database issues, and recoding the lobby chat server daemon so that it can properly handle mods and have better security.

FS2NetD v3.0:  Depending on available time I would like to get this officially launched by the end of the summer if possible.  My plan is to take the code that is declared 3.6.10-final and then just upgrade all of the code in there for v3.0 support.  This way it will still be the same otherwise as the official 3.6.10 release, with only the multi being a little bit different.  This will offer numerous little changes both to the client and server sides.  The important stuff for multi-players: SquadWar will be back, login data with the server will be encrypted, all stats saving will be moved to the host like in retail (as opposed to being on each client like now) which should greatly reduce problems with stats not saving properly, better handling of clients reporting hacked data, better handling of host/clients having different verified data in the same game (the host will be able to set it so that everyone must have the exact same tbl signatures), reduced traffic between the clients and FS2NetD server, and hopefully a working NAT punch-thru setup this time to reduce firewall issues in games.  And unlike before, v2.x and v3.x clients will be compatible with each other.  The only incompatibilities are with SquadWar (obviously) and with the host option that says all clients must have the same tbl signatures (older clients in such a game would get booted as being hacked/invalid by the host).

New website:  The entirely new website is currently on hold for the next version of FS2NetD which will hopefully be released later this year.  The hold up was because I simply didn't have time to finish designing and coding the massive number of changes needed for the site, and because an even larger number of changes will be needed again in order to support SquadWar returning in the next version of FS2NetD.  In the meantime though, the old website has gotten a bunch of updates to fix problems and work with the new v2.5 server setup.  These updates bring better browser compatibility, a bunch of security fixes, numerous bug fixes, better support for mods, better reporting of active games, allowing logged in users to log out, and a user account area where you can change your password or email and have your login info sent to you again (ie. in case you forget your password).  The updated website is already done, but since it requires the new server and database setup to function, it can't go live until the rest of it does.

The v2.5 dev branch is a bit stale at the moment, since I didn't have nearly as much time to work on as I thought it the past couple of weeks.  I had originally intended it to already have two weeks of testing by now.  There is probably about 10 hours of work left to do on it though so hopefully I can get it finished up this week.

The v3.0 branch has already been started on the client side.  The client side SquadWar code is already around 80% reintegrated with FSO.  Most of what SquadWar actually is is on the server side though.  More of the todo list items have been started on the client side as well, but nothing having any real progress to mention.  The server side won't be started until after I get done the the v2.5 server changes.

Offline captain-custard

thats great news

can you go into  little more detail? :D

just joking

thanks it seems like your keeeping busy and out of trouble thats good
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Have you looked at what it would take to add UnP port forwarding support?  It would be yet another tool to get around those firewall issues that so many have, and I imagine it would be easier than the NAT punch-thru.  Just occured to me while reading this so I thought I'd ask since I've never seen it brought up before.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I hadn't really wanted to mess with UPnP that much, but it is on the list of possible things to add in order to try and deal with the problem.  NAT-PMP is already on the list though and is definitely something that I want to add.  Assuming that I have the time I'll try to add both. :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok just wondered if it was on the radar as a possibility.  I imagine the bulk of home routers support UPnP, but not all do it well I've found.  The list of changes is very impressive, hopefully now that the F4 crash might be fixed soon the multiplayer component of FS2 will finally see the use it deserves.

Edit:  Hopefully this gets noticed.  One thing I was concerned with is that hopefully 3.6.10 will be out very soon, and after that there's already a pile of code waiting to get committed.  I hope to encourage a controlled commit process of major changes so they can each be tested, but I'm betting the next version might be ready by the summer, or at least quite different from 3.6.10.  I just hope this doesn't get in the way of your plans for the FS2NetD 3.0 code.  One possibility is to allow work to continue on the next version if so, but add this to the 3.6.10 tag as sort of a 3.6.10.1, while also adding it to HEAD.  Otherwise it could end up that the next version is ready by the summer and it could go in that instead.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:44:22 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
UPnP seems like sort of big mess, so I am hesitant to spend a lot of time working on it.  But I do realize that more routers are likely to support that at the moment as opposed to NAT-PMP so I am going to give it it's due attention when the time comes.

As far as releases go, my current plan is something like this:

1) Set my tree at 3.6.10-final, then develop FS2NetD v3 in that frozen code state.
2) All test builds will be that 3.6.10-final code with only the FS2NetD/multi changes.
3) Once development is complete a new 3.6.10-final build (versioned as 3.6.10.x) will be released with the new code.

At that point the code will be commited to SVN.  I don't really want to wait for the next FSO version before getting the new code into everyone's hands, even if it is all done at the same time.  I just want to smother to death all of the old code as quickly as possible and that means trying to get rid of normal 3.6.10 builds as well.  With 3.6.9 multi compatibility out of the picture by then I would like to get rid of the FS2NetD v2 code out of the way as quickly as possible as well.  After all, even though it has seen quite a few changes since, it was originally designed to go into 3.6.9.  The only reason it didn't was because there wasn't enough time to get it tested properly and for me to finalize the rewrites to the server.  So the v2 design is actually a few years old at this point and reuses too much of the v1 code/design for my liking.  v3 will build on v2 changes, but will essentially be a complete rewrite.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That should work fine then.  If the next version is still on testing builds we can just phase out the official stable build with the new one, shouldn't be too big of an issue.  Then we can just move your changes into HEAD and hopefully all will play nicely.

Offline captain-custard

ive been thinking about something ( yes i know its strange) and hopefully with my lack of technobabble i will get to explain it.....

is it even vagually possible within the lobby ( there are 4 chat channels) to send each standalone/mod babylon , diaspora , fate of the galaxy , silent threat etc to an individual channel ,that way when coming into the lobby you can see if there is anyone online in your game or if they are playing another variant and then swittch to that one if you so choose ( yes by exiting and changing your game or mod ) this would help (me personaly) not to have a browser running at the same time and would make the whole multiplayer thing more appealing..... so does any one have any thoughts on this ... is it possible?

thanks in advance

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
is it even vagually possible within the lobby ( there are 4 chat channels) to send each standalone/mod babylon , diaspora , fate of the galaxy , silent threat etc to an individual channel ,that way when coming into the lobby you can see if there is anyone online in your game or if they are playing another variant and then swittch to that one if you so choose ( yes by exiting and changing your game or mod ) this would help (me personaly) not to have a browser running at the same time and would make the whole multiplayer thing more appealing..... so does any one have any thoughts on this ... is it possible?
The v2.5 update, whenever I get the chance to finish the last bit of code and install it on the server, will use a different set of chat channels for every running daemon.  You will not be able to switch between these different set of channels however, the server will just offer you only one set for the daemon that you are currently attached to.  It's not mod based though, so if the Diaspora team have a public daemon for everyone to play on and then separate daemon running for development purposes, those two daemons would get all different chat channels even though it's for the same mod.

The plan is to eventually have a standalone FS2NetD app which combines the basic properties of the website, as well as a chat client, and you will be able to easily switch between the different running daemons and chat with other people.  The game itself won't ever have this capability though, which means that you would still need two different things running to do what you want.

Offline captain-custard

thanks that was a quick and understandable reply .... thanks taylor

:D

Offline captain-custard

ok we seem to be a few weeks away from 3.6.10 going final , we have RC2 , and RC3 seems to be just around the corner , and as long as there are no major problems chief  has said that that will be final........;

so i hope that there are no major problems for the server changes .....

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'm just hoping that mod support will be much improved especially with mods that go wild with weapon variety although it's just a small wish at best XD

my two biggest concerns:
non-stop fighter beam spammage by clients (I run out of energy in seconds but my friend just holds down MOUSE1 with glee :lol: then again fighter beams just refuse to "obey the rules" enforced on it by the modder and that's a whole different problem not related to multi)...

clients missing weapon effects/ammo on initial spawn (but this one doesn't really show itself if all multi computers are on the same physical LAN i.e. not simulated VLAN/Hamachi or even fs2netd)...

/random-rant-don't-mind-me- :lol: - :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are those bugs in Mantis?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Whoops didn't notice the reply. Yeah random rant, go figure. :nervous:

Either I did and it ended up unresolved or forgotten, or I didn't since my mind was elsewhere. Will be a damn long while before I can call my friend out to playtest, unless one player controlling two computers is good enough to simulate a bugfix session...? :confused:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Since that is most likely how it will be tested one person using two computers is just fine.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which is why I hate standalone bugs that affect the client only the most of all. Cause then I need to run FS2_Open on 3 different PCs. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Or force port and run the standalone and host on the same computer.  Although that does make the logs hard to read if you are running debug.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

bump