Author Topic: Beams alternate shapes?  (Read 4268 times)

Beams alternate shapes?
Can ship and/or fighter beams be something other than straight lines?

I'm thinking arcs of lighting ala Battletech PPCs. The beams would have a very short duration. Maybe a person could even do a few frames of different shapes for animation??

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Beams alternate shapes?
I think it may be possible with a bitmap representing the arc, which would have been streched over entire lenght of the beam.
I see no other way to do this, assuming you don't want to mess with either scripting or code.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
How do the beams' FX look like in the VPs?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Wasn't there some animated effects for the "lasers" at some stage? If there was, you could create a really long laser (which would look weird, since the back end would protrude behind the ship at t=0), or alternatively, one with a long, 100% bright trail that ends suddenly (if lasers can have trails. Maybe it will have to be a missile).
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
He wants to make a PPC effect. Not sure if you've played MechWarrior, but a PPC has always been described in the novels as a 'white-blue blast of lightning', and the later games portray it as such.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
TBP has the Vorlon Lightning cannon so it should be at least partially possible.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In theory I think it might very well be possible

Code: [Select]
$Section: ;; one section of the beam (you can have up to 5
+Width: 10 ;; width of the section
+Texture: beam-red ;; texture for this section
+RGBA Inner: 255 255 255 255 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+RGBA Outer: 150 150 150 10 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+Flicker: 0.0 ;; how much it flickers (0.0 to 1.0)
+Zadd: 4.0 ;; hehe
$Section: ;; one section of the beam
+Width: 15 ;; width of the section
+Texture: beam-green2 ;; texture for this section
+RGBA Inner: 160 160 0 255 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+RGBA Outer: 60 60 0 10 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+Flicker: 0.45 ;; how much it flickers (0.0 to 1.0)
+Zadd: 3.0 ;; hehe
$Section: ;; one section of the beam (you can have up to 5)
+Width: 25.0 ;; width of the section
+Texture: beam-green ;; texture for this section
+RGBA Inner: 255 255 255 255 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+RGBA Outer: 150 150 150 10 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+Flicker: 0.4 ;; how much it flickers (0.0 to 1.0)
+Zadd: 2.0 ;; hehe
$Section: ;; one section of the beam
+Width: 30.0 ;; width of the section
+Texture: beam-green3 ;; texture for this section
+RGBA Inner: 255 0 0 255 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+RGBA Outer: 60 0 0 10 ;; rgba values (only for non-textured beam compiles)
+Flicker: 0.5 ;; how much it flickers (0.0 to 1.0)
+Zadd: 0.0 ;; hehe

If you have several sections with different textures of different sizes you could create something that might look somewhat lighting like. Just have to create lighting shaped beam textures. Might not be that easy to get it to actually look right though
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
The things is that unlike beam textures, when making a lightning texture you'll probably have to keep in mind how it might look when fully stretched out. So if you're making a lightning texture you'd probably do it full-length and just shrink it length wise until its the right texture size.

Can't you also have the beam texture repeat, so it doesn't look as stretched out?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Aardwolf

You could probably do that better with a missile + trail (a kind of spruced-up Shivan Super Laser effect)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Can't you also have the beam texture repeat, so it doesn't look as stretched out?
How do you do that? I've messed around with the beams before with Shadow Gorrath's help and succesfully created a black beam before, but that didn't use repeating textures.

You could probably do that better with a missile + trail (a kind of spruced-up Shivan Super Laser effect)
Yea, but I somehow feel that that'd be a last resort.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what would look awesome is to take the nebula lighting effect, and make it a weapon.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

TBP has the Vorlon Lightning cannon so it should be at least partially possible.

Oh it does? I'll have to look into that. Though hopefully it's not just on the DN since I've heard from an "interesting debate" that the ship has issues.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Not any more it doesn't.  Anyway it's on the VE Fighter. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Can we use the lightning cannon as a reference if the need arises?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yea.  You just can't use the actual stuff in any release unless it's for TBP.  Don't have the rights to give that out. 

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Kay. That'll be all I need. Thanks.

Can you PM it to me? My TBP VPs aren't on hand atm.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:08:58 am by Stormkeeper »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Texture repeats on beam sections, see tile factor in beaminfo section of weapons.tbl
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Quote from: Wiki
Tile Factor:

* Defines the beam texture tileing factor. Second number defines the tileing type. Type 0 tiles the graphic in the beam as many times as defined by the 1st number. Type 1 uses the 1st value as the lenght of the tile.
    * Syntax: Float, Integer
What does it mean by 'Type 1 uses the 1st value as the length of the tile'?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
You can grab it here:  Lightning Cannon

That's the weapons table and the effects.