Author Topic: Bethesda sues Interplay  (Read 8955 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Re: Bethesda sues Interplay
I think that's insulting, comparing Interplay to Atari. Atari is one of the grand old dames of the computer gaming world, while Interplay is nowhere near as spectecular.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think that's insulting, comparing Interplay to Atari. Atari is one of the grand old dames of the computer gaming world, while Interplay is nowhere near as spectecular.

admittedly in terms of stature and respect there is a massive discrepancy but I think it made my point that game companies rarely die and for the most part just change hands
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Game companies die all the time?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

The modern Atari has nothing in common with the old company aside from the name.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
The modern Atari has nothing in common with the old company aside from the name.
Yeah, I just realised a while later that most of the original Atari staff went off to form Activision, I think.

Game companies die all the time?
Studios yes, publishers not so often.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Shack News has some more information, including Interplay's first feeble attempts to mount a defense.

Summary:  "We didn't violate our license agreement in that manner, because we violated it in this completely seperate manner, but we didn't violate the license in that way, because we did violate it in the first way, so we're totally innocent.  QED."

Kind of makes me hope they've got a cheap lawyer, because if he's not, the company is getting fleeced.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just a note about the FS2 OEM, FS2:Colossus, they did a similar deal with FS1, "FreeSpace: Darkness Rising". It had afterburner trails and planet bitmaps. I still have the CD for it. :D

Well, maybe if Interplay finally kicks it THQ can buy the rights to Freespace from them.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Well, maybe if Interplay finally kicks it THQ can buy the rights to Freespace from them.

That may or may not be a good thing.

Just sayin'.

Offline Topgun

You Post Editor!@@!!!

lol

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I didn't edit the post. I deleted it and made a new one.  :D

I was tired and it took me a minute to realize how silly what I wrote was, so sue me.  :ick:

Offline Topgun

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Quite a repetoire they have there.

Offline eliex

THQ hasn't exactly been on top of the recession, up till March this year they were forced to cut several losses and publish "incomplete" games, notably DoW II but has recovered slightly though since last month. With Interplay's price for FS rights, I doubt THQ would consider buying it due to a lack of interest of the space genre at this point of time.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
How many other franchise rights do they have other than FS?

Interplay is a beast that refuses to be buried.  Remember when the entire Black Isle staff got fired?  Didn't kill Interplay.  Remember when Interplay got bought out, and the parent company dissolved?  Didn't kill Interplay.  Remember when California chained the Interplay office doors closed, because the employees weren't being paid?  Didn't kill Interplay.  A lawsuit that doesn't seek monetary damages?  That's pretty small fry, compared to the other hurdles that have stood before the publisher.

A more apt analogy is Interplay is the Jason Voorhees of the game publishing industry, no matter how many times you motally wound it, it just wont ****ing die.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

How many other franchise rights do they have other than FS?

Descent, Baldur's Gate, Earthworm Jim, MDK, and Redneck Rampage pop to mind pretty quickly.  I'm sure there's at least a few others that never gained quite the same level of notoriety.

As to the Jason Voorhees analogy, I have to contest it.  Interplay may be good at receiving mortal wounds, but they're doing a pretty piss-poor job of dishing any out.  EA isn't going to step into a different room, away from Microsoft, THQ, and Ubisoft, and then get gutted by Interplay.  ;)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
A very annoying practice. I actually thought that I had the full version of Descent for ten years before I bothered to read the fine print at the end. 

I remember this

I can't recall the last thing where I saw Interplay marked on it
"No"

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Interplay may be good at receiving mortal wounds, but they're doing a pretty piss-poor job of dishing any out.

Oh ok, so then they are a GVC Mentu. :p
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Maybe more like a disarmed Sathanas. :p

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Comparing Interplay to one of the neatest Capital ships in that game?
C'mon, that's not right
"No"