Author Topic: FS2O: At beginning, at pilot selection, Game abend  (Read 1576 times)

Offline BBarrib

FS2O: At beginning, at pilot selection, Game abend
In FS2O, at the pilot selection, when pressing the SELECT downward arrow, the game freeze and a Window appears with the message "FreeSpace has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I have the choice to sent or not the dump to Microsoft.  And the am I back to the launcher.
Attached are the files as per the FAQ.
I have tried many thing, like upgrading from 3_6_9 to 3_6_10, as you can see in Errorlog.txt, but to no improvement.
I also tried with and without mod, upgrade of mediavps, adding to the custom flag.

Anyone has an idea what is going on or what I have done wrong?

Thanks,

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: FS2O: At beginning, at pilot selection, Game abend
First turn off -wcsaga and -tbp. These are flags that trigger gameplay features that are designed for Wing Commander Saga and The Babylon Project respectively.

Secondly, sort out your mediavps directory. It's a huge mess; reading the installation thread of the 3.6.10 mediaVP's might be a good idea, since it explicitely does tell you that it's a bad idea to mix 3.6.8zeta VP's with 3.6.10 MediaVP's.

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\3610_Patch.vp' with a checksum of 0x07e72699
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mp-710_adveffects.vp' with a checksum of 0x55caf318
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mp-710_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xe22bdcc2
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mp-710_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x20b9069a
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0xd06bf123
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_adveffects.vp' with a checksum of 0xfeb54970
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0xc9e372bb
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_core.vp' with a checksum of 0x0dc7bb8f
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xa3141c30
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x2f8a711a
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_music.vp' with a checksum of 0x4dbbbe96
Found root pack 'C:\games\FreeSpace2\mediavps\mv_textures.vp' with a checksum of 0x2c43a80e

Just looking at the file names I can't be sure which of these are old and which are new versions (well, Assets and Advanced are definitely from 3.6.10, as is the Patch file, but right now I don't have the VP versions of the latest 3.6.10 release readily installed so I can't check the checksums). So, I would recommend that you delete these files (or rename it to mediavps-disabled if you desperately want to preserve this mess), download the re-released 3.6.10 MediaVP's plus the 3.6.10 Patch, and make a new MediaVP directory.

Then there's this, which I am not familiar with:

Code: [Select]
Wokka!  Error opening file (JtEP.fc2)!
Error parsing 'JtEP.fc2'
Error code = 5.

This means there is a campaign file called JtEP.fc2 somewhere in your installation, and the game tries to open it and fails, which is the immediate cause of the crash (although you would get serious problems with the mish-mash VP's later on anyway).

I am not familiar with this campaign name; MediaVP's certainly doesn't have it, and I cannot see it in multi-mission-pack either. Considering that there doesn't seem to be any other mods or VP's involved (and seeing you have tried with no mods at all), this is probably some rogue campaign file in your ../FreeSpace2/data/missions/ directory.

The root data directory should preferably be kept clear of all user modifications for cases just like this. Could you do the following:

-go to command line
-navigate to ../FreeSpace2/ directory
-execute tree /f /a data > data-tree.txt
-post this file (data-tree.txt) in pastebin or as an attachment here. Or even in code tags if you wish.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:33:25 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.