Author Topic: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!  (Read 25332 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Interstellar Marines is alive! THANK GOD! Awesome new footage!
Just out of curiosity, what games are of the "space marine" genre? Am I just not playing them? The only thing that would lead me to believe that it's over-done is the fact that people tell me it's over-done.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just not thinking it's cliched because every game that focuses around "space marines" that I've played, you can't actually differentiate yourself from normal marines aside from the fact that they always refer to you as "space" marines.

Section 8?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not very space-y.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, I mean, you're definitely a space marine.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No.

THIS is a space marine:

Everyone else claiming to be a space marine = pussy
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I know all about the 40K tradition, but Section 8 isn't honestly far off. Just less...metal.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
http://www.spacemarine.com/#/en/trailers/
Initial release is for consoles only, no word yet whether we'll see PC version.

Just out of curiosity, what games are of the "space marine" genre? Am I just not playing them? The only thing that would lead me to believe that it's over-done is the fact that people tell me it's over-done.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just not thinking it's cliched because every game that focuses around "space marines" that I've played, you can't actually differentiate yourself from normal marines aside from the fact that they always refer to you as "space" marines.

I think in general people consider space marine games to be any that involves space, aliens and/or powersuits (see Gears of War, Resistance, Half-Life etcetera). Though a lot of those are just marines fighting against space aliens.

Of the games I've played where the hero actually goes and/or lives in outerspace and is a marine:
Alien vs Predator 1+2
Halo 1-3
Doom 3 + xp
maybe Pariah (I can't really remember, it's been ages since I played this bargain bin game)

Personally I prefer sci-fi to modern shooters (bleah, Counter-strike) so I'll take space marines anyway. Though the only enthralling game I've played in recent memory was Thief 1+2 which are hardly new and hardly space marines.

No.

THIS is a space marine:
<snip>

Everyone else claiming to be a space marine = pussy

I don't know, if it's a choice between Colonial Marines who go into battle with bare minimum of armour and 40k space marines who go into battle in fully encased powersuits, I'd call the latter the sissies myself. Hey buddy, lose your armour, go up against a pack of genestealers and then you can call yourself a real marine.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't know, if it's a choice between Colonial Marines who go into battle with bare minimum of armour and 40k space marines who go into battle in fully encased powersuits, I'd call the latter the sissies myself. Hey buddy, lose your armour, go up against a pack of genestealers and then you can call yourself a real marine.

To be totally fair to them, the armor makes no difference to the genestealers in the fluff. Indeed, Tactical Dreadnaught armor doesn't either. (On the tabletop, however...)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Any large biological cretaure that is a threat to a sci-fi warrior in anything except huge number = utter stupidity.

The weapons and armor science can come up with PWNZ anything biological.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Any large biological cretaure that is a threat to a sci-fi warrior in anything except huge number = utter stupidity.

Don't underestimate nature, man....
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Oh, god, we've triggered TrashMan's kneejerk reflex to lash out against things he considers uncool.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Space Marines!

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Oh, god, we've triggered TrashMan's kneejerk reflex to lash out against things he considers uncool.

No, not uncool. Extreemely unlikely and stupid.
That's because technological evolution is fast and focused.

Find me an animal that can take out a main battle tank. You can't? Now imagine a battle tank of 24th century. To put it simply - ain't gonna happen!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Technological design is fast and focused, and unlike evolution, it can be proactive rather than reactive. So you're completely right, technology kicks evolution's ass.

However, this doesn't mean that there's nothing that will ever threaten an armored space marine, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. We may be able to adapt faster than evolution can, but if we run into something that's already incredibly badass, it could probably do some real damage. And that's not even getting into the problem of intentional, directed biological evolution, like the Zerg or the Flood.

And in any case, the last engagement between nature and high-technology didn't go so well...we're lucky she was 'able to complete her mission and return to base under her own power.'

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Ever watch "Jaws"?
"No"

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Somebody needs to read War of the Worlds again.  :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Somebody needs to read War of the Worlds again.  :P

Haha, yeah.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
I can't believe that no one has said Quake II. You are part of the US space marines!! And you drop out of a huge ship in space and do some general marines stuff. To be a space marine you don't have to fight in space just be inserted by space drop (orbital). Today's marines assault from water hence marine, they don't fight in water.
That is only the SBS, so maybe those who actually fight in space could be the Special space service!
 Oh and yeah I know originally the marines fought on ships so the men who guard the spaceships are also marines I guess
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
if this game has a mission where you start out outside a spaceship, then are able to selet your breach locations, i'd caall badasss and ready up paypall

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Quote from: several people
Alien vs Predator 1+2
Halo 1-3
Doom 3 + xp
maybe Pariah (I can't really remember, it's been ages since I played this bargain bin game)
Section 8
Space Marines

This list doesn't convince me that a space marine character type is over done. Then again, I haven't played AvP. I played Halo 1 until it became apparent that I thought it was a terrible game. I also felt Doom 3 was a terrible game and that you couldn't differentiate normal marines from the space variety, I haven't played Pariah, Section 8 just came out so it is hardly contributing to any cliche, and and that WH40k game isn't out yet, and the WH40K concept itself is independent from video games.

I honestly don't think that "Space Marine" is a concept that can be cliched. That's like saying racing games where you drive a car are cliched. There are different aspects than space marine that cliche the games.