Author Topic: Bethesda sues Interplay  (Read 8940 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Bethesda sues Interplay
It's not quite so neat when it doesn't have any functioning beam cannons.  At that point, it's a massive space brick that can suck up all the damage in the world, yet can't hurt a fly itself.  Which kind of fits what we're talking about.

It's not quite so neat when it doesn't have any functioning beam cannons.  At that point, it's a massive space brick that can suck up all the damage in the world, yet can't hurt a fly itself.  Which kind of fits what we're talking about.

Oh it tried to hurt me plenty in the lion's den, beam cannons or no.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
It's not quite so neat when it doesn't have any functioning beam cannons.  At that point, it's a massive space brick that can suck up all the damage in the world, yet can't hurt a fly itself.  Which kind of fits what we're talking about.

The ending. That basically makes it the neatest ship in the game

Spoiler:
That could actually be used metaphorically for Interplay. Perhaps it will end the Freespace 2 way where they take everything down with them
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:51:49 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Interesting.  I was not aware that sending letters to fans constituted breach of contract.

Interplay argued in their court documents that Bethesda breached the contract...(such as sending letters to everyone that Interplay tried to sell the original Fallout games to) to such an extent that the contract is now null and void

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It means companies interested in the Rights towards the earlier games, not copies of the game itself.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Hmmm. So ... if I understand this right. If the courts rule in favor of Interplay, Bethesda might owe them a buttload of cash, which Interplay could thereby use to create new games?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

I can't see Interplay putting the games up for sale/play on GameTap, GOG, etc. unless they were certain they had the rights to do so.  

Interplay have a history of this. I remember when Interplay got into a hell of a lot of trouble for releasing Star Fleet Command: Neutral Zone,  a cut down version of the original Star Fleet Command that was created by Interplay by removing the models and certain other game assets from the files without the permission of the IP holder (viacom I think at the time) and then keeping the profits without giving the IP holder their cut. Also, as I recall Freespace 2: Colossus, a similarly cut down version of FS2 that ended when the Colossus defeated the Repulse was created without the permission or knowledge of Volition and resulted in a law-suit as once again Interplay didn't pass on the profits or seek the permission from V who owned parts of the IP. As If I remember correctly this was a contributing factor to the V/Interplay split.

I have a copy of FreeSpace 2: Colossus.... It was packaged as OEM software with Logitech WingMan 3D w/ Force Feedback. That little disc is how I discovered FS2....Thanks Interplay, for your conniving little money-making schemes!
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

As much as I would love to see Interplay go down in flames....I just hope they loose and sell off the FS license to a decent developer(:v:)....too good to be true though.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have that little OEM disk too.  However, would really like to see Interplay burn so better people can start working on so many promising game titles.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Screw your FS2: Colossus, I had the original OEM, Descent: FreeSpace - Darkness Rising. :P

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Whenever a guy who isn't a lawyer describes stuff using phrases like "an amazing, brilliant legal stroke" and "(AMAZING LEGAL SWITCHAROO)" I just assume they are a shill.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Screw your FS2: Colossus, I had the original OEM, Descent: FreeSpace - Darkness Rising. :P

Me too!  I got it with my Dell Dimensions XPS T450 in 1999!
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz