Author Topic: Let me............... Tel-e-port you!  (Read 84829 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: The Earth is uninhabitable
Everyone's arguing that we could go colonize Mars or whatever, that we just have to try hard enough, but...well, the fact that we have to try so hard is kind of the point.

We used to have to try REAL hard to fly, now it is a common thing. Tech advancement gradually makes such tasks become trivial everyday things.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't in any way disagree.

Nonetheless the fundamental need to drag around all this absurd life support suggests that there are far better ways to do it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which, in themselves, obviate the need to keep pressing on. Paradox. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Clarify please?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I think he means that since our living conditions are so specific, our need to replicate them elsewhere is more important.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Clarify please?

If you are perfectly adapted, like the dolphins, you stop adapting. It is because we are poorly equipped otherwise that we went the route we did. If we were naturally equipped to handle our home environment, would we have ever developed as far as we have? No. We wouldn't need to.

Not being strong has been our strength.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, right, I'd agree with that. But there's no reason to believe that our particular set of skills is the right solution to long-term survival.

Offline Kosh

I don't in any way disagree.

Nonetheless the fundamental need to drag around all this absurd life support suggests that there are far better ways to do it.

Like what?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not be a fragile, bipedal ape who needs a very temperamental environmental and constant coddling to get by!

Be an uploaded intelligence instead. Or some species capable of easy long-term hibernation.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Did you just advocate Transhumanism?  :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Transhumanism means we just stop again. :P I can't agree with that.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hurr? Transhumanism means unlimited freedom to adapt purely on the basis of conscious planning, instead of the half-assed consciousness we have right now.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
-isms rule.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
No matter how ridiculously unsuited we are to galactic domination, we'll probably colonize the entire galaxy anyway. Why? Becuase we're stubborn little monkeys.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, but the deal is, there might be things out there that are a lot more stubborn.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
There is no evidence for that.

We are far superior space colonizers compared to any other multi-cellular organism we've encountered.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ex-****ing-actly. :wtf: Our sample size is one measly planet. We have no idea what's out there.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
But we have no reason to compare ourselves to imaginary hibernating armored space bats.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Isn't that what we do, though? We think of things that don't exist yet? That's kind of our big adaptation as a species. This is a discussion about whether mankind is 'good at surviving', or whether we're maybe not as ideal as we think we are.

For example, we can compare ourselves to organisms that have survived for thousands of times longer than we have and that maintain the ability to travel between planets by crazy meteoric happenstance.

We have some of those living on Earth. They are very small, very old, and very hard to kill.

Offline Kosh

Hurr? Transhumanism means unlimited freedom to adapt purely on the basis of conscious planning, instead of the half-assed consciousness we have right now.

I am actually a big advocate for Transhumanism as well, but it still does have limitations. If we were able to upload our consciousness into a computer system of some sort, that system also needs to operate within a rather tempremental environmental limitations. Even though the limits are relaxed, they still do exist and we shouldn't forget that. We would still need some sort of life support to live on the moon, we would still need to develop some sort of FTL-ish space propulsion system to get to other stars in a reasonable amount of time.

Brain I/O error