Author Topic: Beam cannons  (Read 6821 times)

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
The way I see it, there are 3 distinct types in use by the GTVA.  My decidedly non-canon interpretation:

Green: Terran beam weapons which work by bleeding off plasma from the ship's reactor.  These have the advantages of being relativley small, allowing a given vessel to carry more of them, and they can be 'overcharged' by forcing greater amounts of plamsa through the emitters.  This comes with the cost of increased thermal load on the cannons, and can also damage the reactors themselves if too much plasma is drained.

Yellow: Vasudan beam weapons which utilise directed photon beams.  These are more powerful than the green Terran beams, but require a dedicated reactor to power them.  As a result of this increased bulk, the weapons are typcially mounted in smaller numbers, and not at all on cruisers.  We've not seen if these can be 'overcharged'.

Blue: Ion beams shared by both races.  These are very energy efficient and have a low thermal load on the emitters, allowing for rapid refiring and continual operation, but do very little damage.  Because they can draw power from the carrying vessel's standard energy grid, practically any vessel of cruiser tonnage or above can mount worrying numbers of these weapons.

As for the Shivans, I like to think of their beams as being some kind of graser, if only due to rule of cool.

I like this one best, except for the graser thing. That would be highly invisible, not red.

I would have said that the red beams are the equivalent of your explanation of the Terran "Green Beams". I would think that the reason the Shivan ones are more powerful in many cases is that the Shivans have better heat sinks and reactors. They have had beams for a lot longer than we have. Especially with the "Trapped Fleet theory".
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The way I see it, there are 3 distinct types in use by the GTVA.  My decidedly non-canon interpretation:

Green: Terran beam weapons which work by bleeding off plasma from the ship's reactor.  These have the advantages of being relativley small, allowing a given vessel to carry more of them, and they can be 'overcharged' by forcing greater amounts of plamsa through the emitters.  This comes with the cost of increased thermal load on the cannons, and can also damage the reactors themselves if too much plasma is drained.

Yellow: Vasudan beam weapons which utilise directed photon beams.  These are more powerful than the green Terran beams, but require a dedicated reactor to power them.  As a result of this increased bulk, the weapons are typcially mounted in smaller numbers, and not at all on cruisers.  We've not seen if these can be 'overcharged'.

Blue: Ion beams shared by both races.  These are very energy efficient and have a low thermal load on the emitters, allowing for rapid refiring and continual operation, but do very little damage.  Because they can draw power from the carrying vessel's standard energy grid, practically any vessel of cruiser tonnage or above can mount worrying numbers of these weapons.

As for the Shivans, I like to think of their beams as being some kind of graser, if only due to rule of cool.

I like this one best, except for the graser thing. That would be highly invisible, not red.

I would have said that the red beams are the equivalent of your explanation of the Terran "Green Beams". I would think that the reason the Shivan ones are more powerful in many cases is that the Shivans have better heat sinks and reactors. They have had beams for a lot longer than we have. Especially with the "Trapped Fleet theory".

i like the theory with stuart133s alteration, the different colouring could easily be accounted for by different reactor materials or beam handling method or possibly some kind of enrichment process
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Qent

And their devastating power could be because the beam's wave function collapses and its particles release ZPE microbursts. :nervous:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
You know, there is a reason why it is called science fiction.

Science fiction has a way of becoming science FACT. I see no one has answered the question though......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Kolgena

Think about how lightsabers work. The principle is the same, so it should be pretty straight forward

...if lightsabers had even a snippet of physics behind their mechanism of operation.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That doesn't really qualify as physics so much as technobabble.

We've got plasma cutters in real life, after all.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Yeah but they don't project continuously moving magnetic pockets away from the ship.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Yeah. I think I prefer Hellgate London's explanation for the Molten Edge, e.g fusion reaction contained in a magnetic field.

.... Wait, that sounds like lightsabers!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah. I think I prefer Hellgate London's explanation for the Molten Edge, e.g fusion reaction contained in a magnetic field.

.... Wait, that sounds like lightsabers!

Plasma does not imply fusion! Anyway, the contained plasma thing is awfully similar to the idea of a plasma shield, at least as I interpreted it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I prefer anit-magic field generators myself...How does one make one?
WITH SCIENCE!!!!!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
WITH SCIENCE!!!!!

Jail Scaligetti, is that you?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Hmmm, I sense Final Fantasy is crawling into this thread.

Back on topic - Surely a lightsaber is just plasma, no fusion needed. That would be stupid as it would run out of fuel quite quickly that way.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
WITH SCIENCE!!!!!

Jail Scaligetti, is that you?
Bah, nothing a good old starlight breaker cannot befriend fix
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

And if that's not enough to make friends peace, five at once will certainly ease diplomatic relationships.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmmm, I sense Final Fantasy is crawling into this thread.

Back on topic - Surely a lightsaber is just plasma, no fusion needed. That would be stupid as it would run out of fuel quite quickly that way.
Lightsabers are exactly that.  High energy plasma passed through a circular magnetic circuit so that the energy is returned to the power cell with near perfect efficiency.  The only time the power cell is drained is when the saber is used to cut through a substance or the flow is interupted some how.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Trying to make sense of lightsabers is a really bad idea. Plasma fields don't really work in atmosphere.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm all but quoting the star wars wiki on the subject, which I kinda stumbled into the other day.  I don't read it on a regular basis.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, even it it behaved as described it would still continually lose power to air particles hitting it and whatnot, if it were in an atmospheric environment.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Handwavium = uber-cool laser sword" seems like a far more satisfying explanation to me. :p