Author Topic: SOC  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
On the note of an SOC Campaign, what do you guys want to see in it? (This is not a FRED-Your-Fantasy or anything, so leave those bloody socks at home, will you? :P)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:34:09 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Atmospheric mission where your flight of GTF Kulas fighters, supported by Aroura recon fighters, is assigned to destroy a UEF airfield.

Interesting change in perspective, eh?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Guthan

Their has to be an evil side to the Ubuntu. I want the SOC to bring out those elements.

-Also, no mod has ever done this...but what happened to Aken Boosch? He was last seen talking with shivans, and well...the shivans took him in their transport.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There's as much an 'evil side' to the UEF as there is to the GTVA. It's all up to your point of view.

Offline Guthan

I was just responding to dillman's post, when he suggested on making a campaign. I assumed he was working for you lads. it'd be interesting if something like that came out,

Like in WoW, both the alliance and horde have their ups and downs.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ah yeah, I'll talk it over with Bats and the Darii. :)

Offline -Norbert-

-Also, no mod has ever done this...but what happened to Aken Boosch? He was last seen talking with shivans, and well...the shivans took him in their transport
Not entirely true. I remember once playing a campaign in which Bosch somehow was transported back in time during a jump into another galaxy. And the battlegroup you are part of somehow ends up in that galaxy (without the timetravel) to meed with a culture that are the offspring of Bosch and his command crew.

But I don't remember the name of said campaign.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There's as much an 'evil side' to the UEF as there is to the GTVA. It's all up to your point of view.

The UEF as you and Darius have presented it is pretty much a flat impossiblity. :P There has to be more.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Fedayeen have to be like evil black ops guys or something ("state sponsored terrorists").

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
From what I read about them, they seem to be a bit like that, though I'm not sure if actually evil.
I feel that they're not too sympathic.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The UEF as you and Darius have presented it is pretty much a flat impossiblity.

No. The difference between the UEF and today's governments is smaller than that between today's governments and those of a few hundred years ago. Given accelerating social changes due to self-catalyzing systems, this is not implausible.

Besides, treating the UEF as a homogeneous group is silly. It contains at least three major states with significant culture differences.

:P There has to be more.

Possibly.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
No. The difference between the UEF and today's governments is smaller than that between today's governments and those of a few hundred years ago. Given accelerating social changes due to self-catalyzing systems, this is not implausible.

Besides, treating the UEF as a homogeneous group is silly. It contains at least three major states with significant culture differences.

You have pretty much described the overarching mechanism, I.E. the Elders ask nicely and everyone does it, which is itself not a sufficently strong governmental system, regardless of any amount of social change, to hold together anything. The more you say it's not a homogenous group, the more silly what sketchy description of it you've made sounds. So far all that's been said or can be deduced of the UEF more or less requires it to be very homogenous simply to function.

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't think that this system works solely on "Elders ask nicely and everyone does it".
For example, if some government doesn't do for what Elders ask, the Fedayeen may then come and ask them... less nicely.  :)

So they're a "benevolent" oligarchy basically, the benevolence entirely depending on whether or not you are agreeing with the Elders' decisions?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Vip

So they're a "benevolent" oligarchy basically, the benevolence entirely depending on whether or not you are agreeing with the Elders' decisions?

According to the UEF, every time you oppose the Elders, a kitten dies. Thus it is pure evil to not agree with them and you shall be dealt with in an appropriate manner.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

I figured it was something like that.  *Sigh.*
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, this is all pure speculation. I'm not sure where NGTM-1R is coming from but it's certainly an incomplete analysis.

You have pretty much described the overarching mechanism, I.E. the Elders ask nicely and everyone does it, which is itself not a sufficently strong governmental system, regardless of any amount of social change, to hold together anything. The more you say it's not a homogenous group, the more silly what sketchy description of it you've made sounds. So far all that's been said or can be deduced of the UEF more or less requires it to be very homogenous simply to function.

You do not have adequate information to make an accurate assessment of the structure of the UEF or the functionality of the Ubuntu program.

The role of the Fedayeen is far more complicated and nuanced than that of an internal police force or death squad.

You'll just have to wait and see.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You do not have adequate information to make an accurate assessment of the structure of the UEF or the functionality of the Ubuntu program.

Yes, true, but then again I have enough to start making educated guesses, and I did more or less quote you from a previous thread. Were you lying? :P

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Possibly. Unless it comes direct from a canon source, consider it the speculation of a fellow fan.