Author Topic: Those Freakin Dragons!  (Read 9516 times)

What I did on insane was to protect the lemnos, and then fly circles around it while it shoots down the dragons... didn't find any other good way.
Btw, has anyone ever managed to protect every lambda transport in that mission on insane?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Don't think you can.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I made it on medium, I've never been able to pass through the 3rd mission on insane :P
el hombre vicio...

If your wingmen die they probably die alone, far from the rest of the team, gang banged by Shivans. A good way to prevent that is having them form up on your wing every time they complete an assignment (such as killing a wing of bombers, a cruiser or disarming a capship). While they are coming back into formation, you, the squadron leader must look for the next most important thing to shoot at. As soon as all ships under your command are pretty close (500 meters or so would be enough, waiting until they take their positions takes time), give the next attack order.

Now the Shivans are facing one or multiple wings attacking in a well organized wave. They rely on the opposite to succeed.

As for killing Dragons...

-8x Maxim and some kind of shooting skill will take at least one down before it even gets in range.
-4 Trebuchets launched at a wing will score one or 2 hits (and Dragons don't often survive these)
-Changing targets rapidly to shoot only the nearest Dragon also works when you're outnumbered
-Having your wingmen in formation, waiting until you get in range of missiles and giving the C->3->9 order usually gets the Dragons under heavier fire than they can handle, at least until the dogfight begins.
-Having your wingmen armed with 8x Maxim gives good results too, as long as they're in formation with you when you give the order to shoot.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I usually order wingmen to protect that Mentu, then rush ahead and try to get the Thanatos kill, then protect the Lemnos.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Its handling is supposed to be comparable to the Perseus, I believe. Fortunately, the AI doesn't seem to know this...  :P

No. Just no.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Its handling is supposed to be comparable to the Perseus, I believe. Fortunately, the AI doesn't seem to know this...  :P

No. Just no.
Yes. Just yes, actually.

The Perseus's Rotation Time is 3.3 on all axis (Pl?), the Aeshma's is 3.3 on X and Y, and 3.7 on its Z axis.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes. Just yes, actually.

The Perseus's Rotation Time is 3.3 on all axis (Pl?), the Aeshma's is 3.3 on X and Y, and 3.7 on its Z axis.

And yet even on Insane where the Aeshma gets bonuses in AI hands, the Perseus handles it with it ease.

A Feddie Story

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Dev problem then, since they almost maneuver exactly the same with the exception of one axis yet fly like retards no matter the difficulty.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
What are it's angular accel / max linear speed/accel?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
In Table-readable terms please.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This is very interesting, I must say... I'm pretty confident in deciphering the table terms, but an experienced tabler would be a better conveyor of information. I really think it's an AI thing, because the Aeshma really doesn't look like it should be too bad:
Code: [Select]
$Density:                       1
$Damp:                          0.2
$Rotdamp:                       0.4
$Max Velocity:          17.0, 17.0, 68.0
$Rotation time:         3.3, 3.3, 3.7
$Rear Velocity:         20.0
$Forward accel:         3.0
$Forward decel:         1.5
$Slide accel:           2.0
$Slide decel:           2.0

Here's the Perseus for comparison:
Code: [Select]
$Density:                       1
$Damp:                          0.15
$Rotdamp:                       0.35
$Max Velocity: 0.0, 0.0, 80.0
$Rotation time: 3.3, 3.3, 3.3
$Rear Velocity: 0.0
$Forward accel: 2.0
$Forward decel: 1.5
$Slide accel: 0.0
$Slide decel: 0.0

So, is the Aeshma dangerous? Yes. The Shivan pilots just clearly lack motivation...  :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Double post to clarify information for those who may not understand the information from the ships.tbl:

NOTE: use the Wiki and look up "ships.tbl". Then, next time you decide to crack into the FS2/FSO ship VPs, you'll know what you're looking at.  ;)

The density values for both fighters are the same, so impacts do the same amount of damage to each. The Perseus has a forward damping factor 0.05 units less than the Aeshma's as well as a rotational damping factor also 0.05 units less than the Aeshma's, so it handles a bit more "snappily." But not by much...

Obviously the Perseus is fast, but the Aeshma can move laterally in x- or y-, up or down, at 17m/s. It can also move backwards at 20m/s... If the AI knew how to use this in close quaters, you'd be in for a much, much harder fight.

Despite the slightly higer acceleration damper, the Aeshma actually has a higher acceleration value. I'm not sure how this works in game as I havn't seen the actual coding to process the numbers from the table (but be pretty sure they're simple algorithms...). It also has acceleration values up or down comparable to the Perseus' forward acceleration, though the damper again compromises those figures. The deceleration value is the same, though the Perseus would in fact decelerate faster than the Aeshma due to the damper.

The moral of the story? In terms of conventional maneuvers, the Perseus would wail on the Aeshma, though it would still be a good fight. Add in a wicked AI or a human player (both of the same skill, of course. Now where did we put Quantum Delta's evil twin?...) and the Aeshma's lateral/backwards flight characeristics and you've leveled the playing field by a significant margin. I'd like to see that one...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Obviously the Perseus is fast, but the Aeshma can move laterally in x- or y-, up or down, at 17m/s. It can also move backwards at 20m/s... If the AI knew how to use this in close quaters, you'd be in for a much, much harder fight.

At that particular speed I'm not convinced it matters. The AI is quite capable of handling pure lateral/vertical manuvers, as anyone who played FS1 on Insane can tell you about Scorpions, but I think it needs more to work with.

A Feddie Story

Blackdove was very slightly better than me btw Thaeris, in terms of dogfights we could be stuck on eachothers tails until one of us made a mistake or he eventually caught me (damned joystick throttle control), for extreme periods..and pretty much most players can 'drag out' a fight in a 1on1 by just turning as hard as they can.

The two fighters would probably be eternally turning if the input systems were exactly matched.

protecting the transports in apoc IS possible but realistically only if you're planning on not making it to the jump node and/or sacrifice other ships.
Apoc is one of the only missions where I 'accept' not getting a perfect outcome :P
If you mean saving them from the super nova then 'fraid you can't, well unless the disabling/disarming and not destroying the two cains bug still works >.>
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Maybe it's the 'no dynamic goals' flag...  IIRC that causes ships to not try to dodge shots...

Or is that a FRED-side flag and not a ship flag?

Maybe it's the 'no dynamic goals' flag...  IIRC that causes ships to not try to dodge shots...

Or is that a FRED-side flag and not a ship flag?

IIRC it's a FRED flag.

And AI doesn't put too much effort into dodging shots until it gets the first hit that damages it's hull.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

And AI doesn't put too much effort into dodging shots until it gets the first hit that damages it's hull.

You sure about that? I've seen dragons dodge even before getting hit at all.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Using Fury's AI? I've never seen that.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
when you fire at them, they accelerate, not a crazy way of dodging but..

and technically if you fire a missile, they will dodge, that's dodging before getting hit ;)

or maybe I just suck and tend to fire on the surroundings a lot.
el hombre vicio...