Poll

Do you still play fs2_open on Windows 98 or ME?

No and I do not care about Win98/ME
61 (88.4%)
No, but I expect fs2_open to work on Win98/ME
5 (7.2%)
Yes I still play on Win98/ME
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Windows 98/ME?  (Read 10917 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
On another topic, why would anyone want to have '98 or ME on a machine that could support FSO?  Such a machine would certainly be able to run XP.  Especially if you play around with the services... Actually, any version of Windows from 2000 on up can benefit from that kind of tweaking.  clicky  << Find your OS under "Popular Content" and tweak away!

My vote is to go ahead and kill 98/ME support.

Speaking strictly for myself, the only reason I would build a 98/ME system these days would be to run old DOS games, Descent, and/or FreeSpace on 3Dfx hardware.  With DOSBox, Descent source ports, and (of course) the SCP around, I don't see much of a point.

We've got to move on sometime...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Why, indeed..

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/ (zeckensack's glide wrapper)
http://www.warp2search.net/contentteller/news_story/glidos__3dfx_glide_emulator_for_dos.html (glide DOS emulator)
http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=16384 (nGlide, 3dfx glide wrapper)
http://alpha.emulation64.com/Wrappers.html (a list of glide wrappers)
http://www.glideunderground.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=HTMLArticles&file=index&req=showcontent&id=89 (another list of glide wrappers)

EDIT: the lists have descriptions and pros / cons for different wrappers, check them out.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
It appears that voting is a bit one-sided.
Let's drop ME support then, 3.6.10 will do for them.
Maybe we should make a topic with instructions how to make FSO work on ME, it will contain all nessesary links (3.6.10, stable 3.6.11 with PP, etc.).
It should satisfy all of it's users out here.

I wouldn't go that far.  I'd say either 3.6.12 or 3.6.14 is the last and move on with 3.7.x being the cutoff for backward support.  So 3.6.x supports it and 3.6.7 moves on.  It's a good cutoff point. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Y'all should keep in mind Fury's original post: this is a poll for informational purposes, not a vote.  HLP is not a democracy and neither is the SCP.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
... Is it totalitarian?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's still supported?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
... Is it totalitarian?
More like a benevolent dictatorship. :p

*leaves a peace offering of one hundred thousand Headz, gift wrapped, to appease the gods*

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Oligarchy.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
*leaves a peace offering of one hundred thousand Headz, gift wrapped, to appease the gods*
* FUBAR-BDHR has munchies :headz:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Err.. doesn't windows '98 have a memory cap of like 512MB anyways?  So SCP is probably going to outgrow it sooner or later in that regard alone.

The whole Windows 9x line had that limitation.

I'm amazed people some people here are still using 98/ME.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
There was a registry hack to get around it.  You could have more then 512 on ME but it only made use of it for certain things. 

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
There was a registry hack to get around it.  You could have more then 512 on ME but it only made use of it for certain things. 

then it died
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

I'm amazed win9x is capable of running on modern hardware.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk

I'm amazed win9x is capable of running on modern hardware.

Why?  MS-DOS 6.22 still does as do several other DOS OSes.  Granted you don't have much memory to play with anymore and network drivers are a pain in the butt to find but it will run. 

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Really? Then again ME blew in so many other ways it wasn't worth it, 2k was far superior in every respect except dos support. Even in that area 98 was better.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's because 98 was just a GUI layer on top of DOS...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You're thinking of Windows 1.0 - 3.11. Windows 95 was its own OS.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, but it was easily possible to drop down to the command line to get access to a full-blown 16 bit DOS. While Win32 got started with 95, the old DOS API was still fully available in 95 and 98, making compatibility really easy.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns