Author Topic: Good Old Games (The Site)  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Good Old Games (The Site)
I'm looking at getting a couple of games from the site Good Old Games (Link:  www.gog.com).  I was just wondering, have any of you dealt with them before?  What do you think of them?  I've done some looking at the site already, and so far, I'm fairly impressed, especially with their dedicated team of coders to make sure the games run on modern OSes.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Good Old Games (The Site)
I like GOG a lot. Everytime I had a problem, it was dealt with both promptly and civily.

...The only problem I've EVER had is that they're a Cyprus-based company (or so I've been told). This isn't necessarily bad, but it does mean my bank won't allow debit transactions between the company and myself (thus, the only games I've ever been able to buy from them were FS1 and 2).

Apart from that, they're great. I highly recommend doing business with them.  :nod:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, since they do not carry FS2 or FS1 and don't make any announcements regarding the awesomeness of this community, I don't think anyone here is aware of their existence. </sarcasm>

Seriously, they are a pretty good establishment, and the deals they offer a very good, as far as I know.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Wait, they're based in Cyprus?  As in the Cyprus in Europe?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yeah, that or the Mediterranean, I believe.  :p

Apparently, there's a lot of fraudulent transaction activity going on there, so that's the reason the bank won't allow for business. Well, something like that. It's been a while since I checked...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They're the website that we recommend people buy FreeSpace from.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Yeah, that or the Mediterranean, I believe.  :p
The Mediterranean is a country? Here I though it was a body of water. :D

It seems at least there domain is registered to a office in Cyprus.
     GOG Limited
      2, Chr. Sozos street, Eiffel Tower
      3rd Floor, Office 301
      Nicosia,  1096
      CY (CYPRUS)

And it seems that there DNS provider is a Montreal based company, iWeb. And they own there own IP block for there website which also seems to be hosted at iWeb.

Nonetheless, I have not had any problems with gog.com and have purchased many games from them, including FS2 and FS.  I have never had a problem paying for the games with either a credit card (MasterCard) or via PayPal.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Eiffel towers moved ;)

Gog is good. Use them if you're able. I never have, but i've already got FS2 and its predecessors from original release.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
GoG is good. I'd use them if I could. And since I got my FS2 off an ISP ...
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!