Author Topic: High Max fun times  (Read 1560 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
I don't notice a difference between these shaders and the ones being used when playing 3.6.10. Of course I only played the mission 'Surrender Belisarius' to see the beam piercing effect. What is the difference between these shaders and the 3.6.10 ones? Shaders are just the method of ambient lighting to make it seem more realistic, I believe, and normal maps are not shaders and are just textures with much more detail.
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Did you place the post-processing table in /mediavps/tables, the post-processing effects in /mediavps/effects, enable post-processing in the launcher, make sure the nightly build was selected in the launcher, and add the bloom_intensity 160 custom flag to the command line?

Because you should see a big difference.

And no, your understanding of shaders is wrong.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Shaders are just the method of ambient lighting to make it seem more realistic, I believe, and normal maps are not shaders and are just textures with much more detail.

Wrong, wrong aaaaand wrong.

"Shaders" are a set of programs designed to be executed on your GPU in order to render a picture. Some shaders handle lighting. Others handle textures. They replace the traditional fixed-pipeline method of rendering, since they offer greater flexibility.

Normal maps are textures designed to be interpreted by shaders to simulate surface details that are too small to be modelled in via polygons efficiently.

In short, next time, before making yourself look stupid, please consider visiting the wikipedia of your choice for information on the subject.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And the biggest difference between the posted shaders (non-postprocessing related) and the 3.6.10 shaders is that you shouldn't see ANY difference.
But instead of having 60+ shader files to handle all the separate possible combination's from the launcher, there are now just 2 files to handle everything.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
High Max should see a pretty big difference with postprocessing enabled and configured right, though.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned

In short, next time, before making yourself look stupid, please consider visiting the wikipedia of your choice for information on the subject.

I did a while back, but I don't look stupid because I said 'I believe'. I didn't say 'it is' because I knew that I might be wrong and forgot key points of what they are exactly. It's hard to memorize all that technical stuff because for one, I don't code and make games like you and Bat seem to do, and two, I don't have photographic memory like you and Bat apparently do. Oh, and 3, it isn't necessary to know every detail of every technical thing out there and it wastes time to learn every single little detail of every term out there. Concur? You and Bat know a lot about it since graphics, game creation, and programming seem to be your specialties, and you probably do that as your careers, and may also have photographic memory, but you are clearly not psychic since you didn't know I read about the shaders and other spec defs on wikipedia in the past but couldn't absorb much of the info ;)

I recall it saying that shaders had something to do with the lighting, and I will go back and read it like you suggest.

Oh, and I do like Wikipedia and read many things on it, and I assume it to be accurate, or at least hope it is, but I hear it can be edited by anyone and thus it's not truly reliable. Why recommend wiki more than any other source? I would think that a technical and authentic website about video cards and spec defs would have more accurate info.

On a side note: just because I don't know a certain something and don't study video cards and their termanology doesn't make me look stupid or mean I'm stupid. You can't know it all and not everyone wants to read about every single thing out there, and most probably don't have time. So don't be braincentric. Why so many people here have a fascination with insulting someone's intelligence and using many words to put down their intelligence is beyond me. Maybe many here have been picked on a lot in the past. I know you were very mild about it, but still. Please don't be braincentric.
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I did a while back, but I don't look stupid because I said 'I believe'. I didn't say 'it is' because I knew that I might be wrong and forgot key points of what they are exactly. It's hard to memorize all that technical stuff because for one, I don't code and make games like you and Bat seem to do, and two, I don't have photographic memory like you and Bat apparently do. Oh, and 3, it isn't necessary to know every detail of every technical thing out there and it wastes time to learn every single little detail of every term out there. Concur? You and Bat know a lot about it since graphics, game creation, and programming seem to be your specialties, and you probably do that as your careers, and may also have photographic memory, but you are clearly not psychic since you didn't know I read about the shaders and other spec defs on wikipedia in the past but couldn't absorb much of the info ;)

The point is, you just spurted out a piece of pseudoknowledge about technical matters, where you can be proven wrong quite easily. Correcting it by putting out FACTS instead of letting wrongness stand is one of the things I sort of have to do in here. I can't let your unqualified statements stand in a public place where others may take them at face value.

What you have or haven't read or understood prior to making a FACTUALLY WRONG STATEMENT is irrelevant. I do not care where you get your wrong information from, if it is wrong, it needs to be corrected, and it needs to be done so HARD. I am very blunt and insulting when doing this, because I need to get the point across quickly and efficiently.

I recall it saying that shaders had something to do with the lighting, and I will go back and read it like you suggest.

Oh, and I do like Wikipedia and read many things on it, and I assume it to be accurate, or at least hope it is, but I hear it can be edited by anyone and thus it's not truly reliable. Why recommend wiki more than any other source? I would think that a technical and authentic website about video cards and spec defs would have more accurate info.

A little thing called experience. Just like your post here, posts on Wikipedia on technical matters can be proven right or wrong quite easily. If, that is, you can read the source materials the wikipedia contributors use.
In other words, I don't trust wikipedia on soft matters, like biographies of celebrities, or current politics, or whatever the current hot topic among the masses is. But on technical matters, it is very reliable.

On a side note: just because I don't know a certain something and don't study video cards and their termanology doesn't make me look stupid or mean I'm stupid. You can't know it all and not everyone wants to read about every single thing out there, and most probably don't have time. So don't be braincentric. Why so many people here have a fascination with insulting someone's intelligence and using many words to put down their intelligence is beyond me. Maybe many here have been picked on a lot in the past. I know you were very mild about it, but still. Please don't be braincentric.

My response to this is simply that, while not knowing something is perfectly understandable, even expected, and of course tolerated, posting something that can be proven wrong with 10 seconds of cursory research is not. Saying "I believe...." does NOT make it better.

In closing, there is just one more thing to add:
Locked due to increasing irrelevance to the subject of FSO support.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
High Max is hilarious. He thinks I am a video game developer when I am, in fact, about as far from that job as it gets.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Splitting the original topic? Good idea. Not locking it? Not so much. This is support. Off-topic goes elsewhere.