Author Topic: Skybox tutorials?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Is there a skybox tutorial that has ever been written? I've searched the forums to some extent, but can't seem to find any here or on the wiki. Any help here would be great.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Desertfox287

• Sweat saves blood-Erwin Rommel
I haven't been able to find one either...so hopefully this helps out us both

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
For skyboxes in general or skyboxes in relation to FS2?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Desertfox287

For me, in relation to freespace

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
do you want to make them from scratch or use existing ones?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Desertfox287

Make them from scratch unless I can easily edit others for my needs

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
do you want to make them from scratch or use existing ones?
Whatever works best for you. A good tutorial is really all I'm asking for here.  ;)
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

I would like to add my request for a "Skyboxes for dummies" type thread. The skybox page on the wiki assumes quite a bit of previous knowledge with truespace, and I have no idea how it would work with other modeling programs. It also says almost nothing about how to use an image program like Photoshop to skybox. (*double-checks wiki* yup.)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think i wrote most of that tutorial. i actually wrote it up wit images and such to make it easier to read, but i dont know whatever happend to that, i dont seem to have a copy anymore.

rendering skyboxes in max is fairly easy.you need to make 6 cameras, each with a 90 degree fov. they should all be in the same location and pointing along the principal axes in both directions. build a scene around it. when your done set up a batch render and render the scene from each camera. best way to do this is to create your first camera at 0,0,0 pointing along +y with up pointing to +z (keep in mind z and y are reversed in max, fs uses z for forward and y for vertical). clone this camera as a copy and rotate it 90 degrees around z, do this 2 more times untill all for directions are done (it helps to name them so you know which is front). your up and down cameras should just be copies of your front camera rotated + and - 90 degrees around the x (as in pitch) axis. you can link em together if you want to move them or rotate them as a system.

to make a skybox model all you really need to do is start with a large cube, flip the normals, apply a uvw map modifier, set mode to box, click fit. then assign the skybox textures you rendered to each side. you may need to rotate the images 90 degrees or flip/mirror them in an image editor if things dont line up correctly. of course if youre using a template scene with cameras and rendering already setup, it pays to change the uv mapping of the model to work with the way cameras are setup, that way you can use the pof on every scene you render with that camera setup, just change the textures.

space scenes are rendered fairly well in max and newer versions of truespace. but if you want to do terrain based skyboxes you could try bryce (version 5.5 is free and i think it comes in pc and mac versions), which is specially designed for that kinda thing. i think terragen can do it too but i never could understand that proggie.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:42:17 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Desertfox287

thanks for the help Nuke

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
It would be great if I had 3dsMax.  :p Thanks for the help though. Herra mentioned a way to use the starfield.pof and adding textures that way. Is there anyone who could better clarify on how that is done?
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

This is basically what I saw:

i think i wrote most of that tutorial. i actually wrote it up wit images and such to make it easier to read, but i dont know whatever happend to that, i dont seem to have a copy anymore.

rendering skyboxes in max is fairly easy. οὐδένα πώποτε τῶν πολιτῶν, ὦ ἄνδρες Ἀθηναῖοι, οὔτε γραφὴν γραψάμενος οὔτ᾽ ἐν εὐθύναις λυπήσας, ἀλλ᾽ ὡς ἔγωγε νομίζω μέτριον ἐμαυτὸν πρὸς ἕκαστα τούτων παρεσχηκώς, ὁρῶν δὲ τήν τε πόλιν μεγάλα βλαπτομένην ὑπὸ Τιμάρχου τουτουὶ δημηγοροῦντος παρὰ τοὺς νόμους, καὶ αὐτὸς ἰδίᾳ συκοφαντούμενος (ὃν δὲ τρόπον, προϊόντος ἐπιδείξω τοῦ λόγου)

δέομαι ὑμῶν, ὦ ἄνδρες Ἀθηναῖοι, ἐθελῆσαί μου μετ᾽ εὐνοίας ἀκοῦσαι λέγοντος, ὑπολογιζομένους τό τε μέγεθος τοῦ κινδύνου καὶ τὸ πλῆθος τῶν αἰτιῶν πρὸς ἂς ἀπολογήσασθαί με δεῖ, καὶ τὰς τέχνας καὶ τὰς κατασκευὰς τοῦ κατηγόρου καὶ τὴν ὠμότητα, ὃς ἐτόλμησε παρακελεύσασθαι πρὸς ἄνδρας ὀμωμοκότας τῶν ἀντιδίκων ὁμοίως ἀμφοτέρων ἀκούσεσθαι τοῦ κινδυνεύοντος φωνὴν μὴ ὑπομένειν.

Learn how to use Max or TS, then try again.

I'll throw that on the pile of things to become proficient (at least halfway competent) in!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
knowing how to model is kind of a perquisite to making a skybox.

of course you could just download skyboxes and apply them to a cube, provided you at least know how to model a cube. :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Desertfox287

knowing how to model is kind of a perquisite to making a skybox.

of course you could just download skyboxes and apply them to a cube, provided you at least know how to model a cube. :D
A cube is a hard shape to master

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
Ok, I have a question regarding putting textures onto the starfield.pof model. A while back Herra said that this could be done with Alpha blended textures. (?) Anyways, my issue is, I'm taking a picture of a space scene, saving it in Photoshop as a DDS, then in PCS2 I apply the texture to the starfield.pof model. However, ingame I'm getting horrid seam lines. Is there a way to change this using the starfield.pof model, or using a specific texture, or do I have to resort to the generic skybox model (which after 19 long frustrating hours I could not figure out.) 
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think its better to use your own model, that way you are 100% sure that your mapping comes out right. i dont know how starfield.pof is mapped. if its a sphere that has had a simple sphere mapping then the map will be warped it strange ways and the texel density will not be uniform (whichy could look ugy if the texture wasnt specifically designed for it). also seams will always manifestif you dry to draw anything fancy over them, such as stars. the seam should be placed in a very bland area of the texture. for example making it solid black with in a couple pixels around the seam. sems on cubes are so much easyer to deal with in my opinion.

Nuke's Scripting SVN