Author Topic: Animation Code woes  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
could it be that it's just not taking into account the case that the animation is still in the speeding up phase? if this is the case I can probably fix it easily. I can probably get it fixed the day after tomorrow if that's what it is, although I'm not sure that's what it is.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Still nothing? :(

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
 :bump:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I actually have some free time this weekend.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
 :bump:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I'm such a horrible person...:(
I honestly haven't been able to do any recreational coding for the last few months, honestly I haven't done much of it since I started going to the school I'm about to graduate from, May 7th is my last exam, ever, maybe I can get to it then? it's not like the old days when I had freespace and a development environment all primed to go on a moments notice, I have a hard time just getting FSO's code.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive been kinda keeping a loose eye on the system and kinda fixing bugs as i found them. of course the system needs a partial overhaul for sanity reasons (see other animation code thread) and new features/triggers. setting the $type: to any type not directly hardcoded should be acceptable (i think this works already), since any type can be triggered by scripting. also the scripting trigger is probably unnecessary because script can call any trigger by name. maybe also add a sexp with the same functionality of the scripting functions. implement linked animations! i believe they were part of the original plan for the animation system. aside from a -1 to 1 value to link them to, they really only need 3 values: rotation amount, rotation offset, and smoothing. then make it possible to animate subobjects in the cockpit model. thats about all i want.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I just want better, more versatile animation system.
The 'Turret firing' trigger actually working would be a start  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Animation Code woes
i did notice a couple things. one i believe i fixed was that the sub-object had to have hit points to animate, i found this annoying since you might want to have a non-destructible animation object. you may have also needed to set an object speed (not sure about this one). and finally you had to edit your model and add +triggered: to the sub-object that you wanted to animate. that last one is easy to miss, not obvious at all, poorly documented, and worst of all, its not reported to the modder in the debug builds. if possible i think the requirement of the subobject property should be removed if it doesnt serve any major purpose.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

How's this issue coming along? I can see it being a potential game stopper (or AWESOME feature being removed for the BP guys) for WiH atm for quite a lot of pilots :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Honestly, animation code is being more trouble than it is worth. When you get something to work, it only works half the time on good day.

Someone really should fix this.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The animation code, unfortunately, is one of a long line of FSO features that were abandoned before completion.  I sometimes wonder if we should start ripping those sorts of features out.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In this case, that might be a good idea. As it is implemented, it's too full of weird stuff that borders on black magic (For example, the turret firing trigger).

A new implementation, one that not only does rotation but also translation and that is better controllable (using, for example, the embedded scripting thing I proposed here) would be good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There's no working support for translation whatsoever in the engine yet, so that would be kind of difficult.  At least rotation already model and collision support.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There is a way to simulate translations, by using two invisible, non-collidable submodels, configured a bit like an arm with an elbow joint.  You'd have to control 3 rotation points... one at the "elbow" where the two invisible submodels contact each other, and one where where each contacts the main model.  All three would need to be timed to trigger at the same time.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's no working support for translation whatsoever in the engine yet, so that would be kind of difficult.  At least rotation already model and collision support.
The model and collision code already needs to be rewritten.  If someone is doing that, translation support could be added at the same time.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The animation code, unfortunately, is one of a long line of FSO features that were abandoned before completion.  I sometimes wonder if we should start ripping those sorts of features out.
Considering the fair amount of capital ships that have an initial turret rotation setting I'd say, please no. Not to mention the ships that have triggers on afterburners.
While limited, at least *some* parts of the current animation code works.
Of course, I'd have no complaints if it were to get a proper replacement or something.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Agreed - ripping out the animation code without replacement would be an awful idea! It may not be as bug free or even as functional as it should be, but it does mostly work - and the flexability it offers ship builders even in its current state is amazing.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is there proper documentation then on what currently does work (and what was intended to work)?  Without that it could prove difficult to rewrite a replacement.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unlikely.  It was Bobboau's baby, and any changes made by other people were merely bugfixes and feature patches.