Author Topic: RELEASE - Relentless  (Read 31026 times)

Ah, how sharper than a serpent's tooth Axem's tongue is...
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Relentless offers a unique player experience. You can either grab popcorn, sit back and relax. OR, actively decide to be part of the action, almost like these new interactive horror movies they have going. The choice is yours! The choice is also optional.
The campaign is user friendly, no longer do you have to be ashamed when in the company of your peers. Hate it how they always talk about beating that awesome campaign but you never got past mission two? Well, that time is over! Victory and Failure are the same thing! Even when you lose, you win! Away shame! You too are now a winner!

Its innovating!

This is a feel good campaign for the whole family!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nuclear1

This thread's going to make me OD on sarcasm.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
See, Kappa, if you'd called this a 'public beta', all these lovely people would be giving you helpful tips instead of the ****ty testers you got stuck with. I am wise!  :p

I can tell you from experience that the best way to learn FRED is to do so by examining the missions of a better FREDder - I don't envy you having to go it alone, but you can always open missions from Derelict or the BWO demo or whatnot and check them out.  (Tip one: never use attack orders on capships, EVER! Except sometimes when it's useful, but that's very rare.)

The campaign should be playable as is after The_E's patch, so go for it, make up your own mind.

*pimpslaps Battuta*

WHY MUST YOU FOOL THE INNOCENTS WHO HAVE NOT BEEN POISONED?! Gah!

All right, 'playable' might be stretching it, but it shouldn't vomit asserts like it would have under 3.6.10/12 before.

Oh and for another tip: Kappa, good place to start for FREDders is Karajorma's FreeSpace Oracle.

For bonus points, scroll all the way down!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And may I remind everyone - although I do not have my global mod hat on - that the goal here is not to cause Kappa to ragequit forever, in spite of whatever claims he might have made to a perfect mission or a highly polished campaign. Let's try to keep the criticism above the belt.

Offline Axem

Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete.

It is missing...

Voice Acting.

As a matter of honor and integrity, I cannot, under any circumstances, leave this community that I love, until I play this shining campaign with Voice Acting! Even if you do not wish to continue with the Relentless torch, I am sure there are many others who would gladly love to have the honor of Voice Acting Director for Relentless on their CV.

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Nuclear1

I want a duet.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Make it a trio!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
drama bomba has left the runway

Seriously, everyone keep a level head about you. It's spring, the HLP RAEGGGG juices are at high tide.

Offline Deka1184

• Formerly known as KappaWing
The last missions work fine in 3.6.10. You've already ruined it, so i wont bother with spoiler tags.

Into the void II or whatever, the player dies. just as hes dying, hes transferred into into the void III, which is a hallucinogenic experience that A1 experiences as hes dying. Into the void IV is just a cutscene of A1 blowing up in front of the lucifer, which immediatley ends the campaign. If it doesent work on 3.6.10 then I'm afraid The E or -Norbert- may have broken something while fixing the campaign, because the last string of missions works flawlessly all the times i've tested it.

Someone lock or delete this ****ing thread please, delete my new account while you're at it. You can be damn sure I will never make the mistake of posting at these boards again.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What you wanted to use on that mission was end-mission. End-campaign is a really bad idea since it triggers several hardcoded behaviors including (I believe?) playing the FS2 end cutscenes (though I'm not 100% sure on that last one.)

A better way to do it would probably have been with cutscene SEXPs, blowing up a proxy ship. You could then fade out all artsy-like.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
I just deactivate video playback in the launcher when I'm not playing the main FS2 campaign.
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Nuclear1

Kappa, I'm only being silly seeing as how I'm a couple thousand miles away from my FS computer.  I'll play it as soon as I get back, but I just can't do anything about it right now.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Y'know, the way this thread has unfolded has been really disappointing in a number of ways.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bit of a cluster****, but honestly, I can't say it was any one individual's responsibility.

*shrug*

He clearly had a lot invested in the campaign and I think it came out a little earlier than it needed to. Standards are high of late, and one-man mod teams have it difficult, especially given the lack of proper documentation.

This whole affair highlights the need for me or The_E or a team to do a 'Before You Release Your Mod...' thread.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Alright, may as well end the discussion.  If anyone else feels they have input, feel free to notfiy.... someone.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What the **** guys? :wtf:

This is going to go down as one of the sadder little moments here on HLP I think. Someone posts a campaign - maybe not the greatest campaign ever, but still something he's put plenty of hard work into , and we get this. Seven pages of what is essentially ragging on the guy. Now yes, ideally he should have run the latest debug build over it and found the bugs, and yes there may have been table issues. But as far as I can tell from the comments (I haven't yet played the campaign) none of these were showstoppers. He beta tested the campaign in the version he felt was a safe and stable and then released it because it worked. Sure, when the errors were pointed out, things could have been handled better - Deka, you maybe need to think about how you handle criticism in a few cases. But nobody, with the exception of The E and Norbert - can really come away from this with their heads held high.

Seriously, and I shouldn't have to be reminding you people of this, especially those of you with project badges, but this is something he did on his own time, for his own amusement. If posts like these had come up on the Diaspora board, or the BP board or any of the hosted boards really, most of you would be jumping up and down to remind the poster of that fact. This is especially bad because you're going on about stuff like it's some kind of assumed knowledge where, as has been pointed out, there's no resources to help with the final release of a campaign anywhere, so people just have to muddle along. When mistakes get made, they're generally from ignorance rather than malice and yet people still get essentially driven away because of it.

I know that posting in a locked thread is a bit... less than ideal, because you lack right of reply. Tough. I hope that people read this, then go back and read their own posts and hopefully will think a little bit before we get this sort of a situation again.

[EDIT]It's been pointed out to me that using "Nobody" in the sense of "nobody, with the exception of The E and Norbert - can really come away from this with their heads held high" isn't fair. There are some people in here doing the right thing, with reasonable, constructive criticism or just non inflammatory comments. So to those people, I apologize for tarring you all with the same brush.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:25:01 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp