Author Topic: An Ugly situation  (Read 13267 times)

Personally I never like the looks of or liked flying the ugly/experimental.  Never touched them if I had the option.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
As much as I was thinking that far ahead, I was considering them to be cannon fodder in some kind of bait-and-switch mission, where your training squad is dispatched to mop up a minor pirate base that's been attacking civilians, and then as you engage the uglies (and very quickly blow them out of the sky, because come on, they're uglies...) a light imperial force jumps in - maybe a lancer, carrack and 'dictor, or similar, on an analogous pirate hunting mission...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe the uglies were not even controlled by in game humans but simple AI...wait that sounds familiar :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
i think they'd be a great option for pro players whom would want to show off, because they still have laser cannon(s), and therefore CAN still take on other craft, especially if the fighters in general have low-ish hitpoints, like some of those gameplay videos.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, in FoTG it's not the killing which is a problem, the problem is hitting.

Hey, didn't I see a smiley on each engine of the TYE/DIE-Wing?
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yeah, with that ugly I got to really have a lot of fun, as it's supposed to be a pirate fighter, so I added a shark grin like old WW2 fighters as a little affectation
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd like to see a lambda shuttles wings used on something. Just can't think what.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Archaic

how about the roof of a recreational landspeeder (SW version of a Winnebago), throw in some engines too.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
how about the roof of a recreational landspeeder (SW version of a Winnebago), throw in some engines too.
I'm going to lean a little bit further from the Mel Brooks stuff to start, although the one I'm currently working on will be based on the cockpit of a land-based vehicle. I should have a halfquarter-decent WIP before too long.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
We already had a DIE wing, but unfortunately that was lost in the HD crash

You wouldn't happen to have that HD lying around, would you?

Offline rsaxvc

• rsaxvc
I'd like to see a lambda shuttles wings used on something. Just can't think what.

Like this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lancet_Aerial_Artillery? Not really an ugly though.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw

After spending an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out how to do smoothgroups in the Blender 2.5 alpha release, here for your first-stage perusal is a rough render of a potential low-end ugly. The Deathtrap (for lack of a better name) is a motley collection of spare parts and is :rolleyes: quite useful when it comes to launching attacks on completely unarmed targets.

(And yes, I know the proportions are still a bit off.)

I lol'd at the "box fighter" thing for a good 10 seconds before I realized that that's an AT-ST head! Mounted on Naboobian fighter engines! Then I lol'd harder.

Good job!  :yes:

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
It will hopefully be more recognizable once I add on the nose turret, top hatch and side gunpod (which the exo-atmospheric conversion process probably necessitated converting into some sort of sensor pod or something... Anti-personnel blasters don't seem quite apropos to a non-atmospheric environment).

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
It will hopefully be more recognizable once I add on the nose turret, top hatch and side gunpod (which the exo-atmospheric conversion process probably necessitated converting into some sort of sensor pod or something... Anti-personnel blasters don't seem quite apropos to a non-atmospheric environment).

Are you kidding?!?  Flying around in that thing, you'll want all the firepower you can get!

(You're braver than I thought)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Might I suggest attaching the engines up a bit higher?  Like near where the ear guns would go?  SW has a lot of funny asymmetrical ship designs, but they generally have their engines lined up close to the center of mass like on a real ship/plane.  As it is the ship looks like it would start doing backflips as soon as you throttled up.  Also, Y-wing engines would probably be a lot more plausible for a ship made of spare parts, as the N-1 was an exotic fighter made in very small numbers by a single planet that had no standing army.  It does look like it'd be pretty fun to blow up though. :)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
i would have gone with an AT-AT style for cockpit, the ST is a little too ridiculous for my taste

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
AT-AT cockpit is as big as ... I dunno I'm guessing most of an an entire X-Wing, right?  That's be more an Ugly gunship or bomber IMO

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
AT-AT cockpit is as big as ... I dunno I'm guessing most of an an entire X-Wing, right?  That's be more an Ugly gunship or bomber IMO

It might be more believable though - I mean...the AT-ST cockpit is pretty darn small as is, and I don't know if anyone could confirm that it does or doesn't actually contain any sort of life support?  Either way...the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.  It's like taking a Humvee or M2, bolting some jet/rocket engines on it, and expecting it to fly...and then survive in outer space.

But I've never really been keen on the whole idea of uglies in the first place.  If you cut apart a Cessna and an F-16, you're gonna have a much harder time getting something flyable out of it than if you just repaired the individual planes as close as you could to their original specs.  It just stretches the credulity too much for me.

Realistically, I could easily see some heavily modified Y-Wings, Z-95s, and transports of every shape and size making up the bulk of pirate or civilian fleet much more easily than a bunch of uglies.  I mean...you don't think the Millennium Falcon was the only modified YT-1300 in the galaxy?  I'd much rather see effort spent on creating interesting and plausible modifications to existing craft than on uglies...but that's just me.

Wow...sorry I didn't really mean for that to turn into as much of a rant as it did. :nervous: