Author Topic: Caprica 1x03 "Reins of a Waterfall" [Spoilers]  (Read 7946 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Caprica 1x03 "Reins of a Waterfall" [Spoilers]
As pointed out in the show the issue wasn't computing power. The issue was getting all the information needed in order to make an AI work. The solution wasn't to try to code it all in (which is the mistake Daniel Greystone was making) but to build a program to that would spider across the web reading every trace of that person from the web and then take a best guess at what algorithm would be needed to do that. 

Remember this is a world where they have the tech to make the holoband so there must be a hell of a lot of data out there to grab.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
As pointed out in the show the issue wasn't computing power. The issue was getting all the information needed in order to make an AI work. The solution wasn't to try to code it all in (which is the mistake Daniel Greystone was making) but to build a program to that would spider across the web reading every trace of that person from the web and then take a best guess at what algorithm would be needed to do that. 

Remember this is a world where they have the tech to make the holoband so there must be a hell of a lot of data out there to grab.

Hmm... Ok I feel a lot better about the show now that I can see the tech better.  I was real bummed out about the show because I just couldn't buy it.  Anyway, thanks Angreifer and Kara for putting the show's tech into a more laymen viewpoint for me.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline newman

Holobands, intelligent robots, and VHS tapes. Ok, I'll shut up now :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Yeah I know they should have gone with Betamax  :drevil:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I just recently listened to the podcast for this episode, and David Eick said they were intentionally trying to make the GDD (I think it's called that) look severely underfunded; he didn't specifically explain the VHS tape, but it would fit in with the image of a government agency that had basically been ignored until suddenly there's a terrorist attack and they're needed.

Offline newman

Yes they should have. But since "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" is the prevalent theme, I guess in the colonies Beta lost to VHS despite being better too :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
On top of that while technology is pretty advanced in the Colonies I think the distribution is kind of low.  Caprica is arguably the most advanced and powerful colony and Graystone is probably at a Bill Gates level of wealth so he has a lot of fancy tech and robot butlers.  Joseph, a lawyer I'll wager around middle class, doesn't have any of that stuff and Lacey who is lower class probably even less.  I actually tend to think if they play it right, it would be an interesting development if over the course of the show the Colonies see a large increase in the availability of technology (especially cylon driven tech) as well as a dependence on AI driven labor and equipment.  When war breaks out it would be a lot more brutal if the Colonies' Military, Economic and Industrial strength has become part and parcel Cylon.  Nothing like waking up to find your toaster ovens, car factories and fighter jets have decided to wipe you out.

Besides, if you want odd check out the motorcycle at Lacey's with the sideways mounted V-twin.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

Yes they should have. But since "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" is the prevalent theme, I guess in the colonies Beta lost to VHS despite being better too :)

Betamax was higher resolution. It lost due to Sony's marketing department. :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
So I guess Sony's incompetent in the colonies as well...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found