Author Topic: A security concern  (Read 1286 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Does anyone else have a file called 'FS2NetGV.exe' in their /FreeSpace2/ directory? If so, can someone describe the function of said file?

I received a security warning concerning the presence of Win32/IRCbot in this file.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The file IIRC is old Parallax Online lobby application. It is falsely recognized as IRCBot because it uses IRC protocol AFAIK. It can safely be ignored or deleted, it's useless today anyway.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmmm. Well that program is meant to be able to access IRC. Its purpose was to allow users to check if games were running on FS2NetD and to allow them to be able to talk in the lobby (which is basically an IRC channel) without needing to run the game.

Doesn't mean the program is safe of course but I've not heard of there being any issues due to it. Access to the source would be nice of course.

Here's the release thread though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:34:59 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I believe that was a game viewer written awhile back for FS2netD in 3.6.9.  No longer works as far as I know.  Never used it myself.  
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras