Author Topic: Nukes?  (Read 6988 times)

Offline newman

Why? It only tempts people to actually do it. :P

If the military followed that logic they wouldn't have any weapons at all. All the moral implications of detonating a nuke anywhere inhabited aside, from a purely military standpoint you have a powerful, expensive weapon that you want to be able to deploy in any environment possible. Playing a guessing game as to where you'll actually need it and designing it according to that is simply not the way it works. It's dangerous and could cost lives.
Also, what slayer said. This exact nuke was seen in the show. Got a problem with it's design, I suggest you take it up with whoever designed it :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why? It only tempts people to actually do it. :P

The Cylons land on planets, planets are big, and whatever nuke tech they use is apparently fairly clean. The need and the ability to use the nukes in atmosphere does exist.

And yeah, canonical design.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If the military followed that logic they wouldn't have any weapons at all. All the moral implications of detonating a nuke anywhere inhabited aside, from a purely military standpoint you have a powerful, expensive weapon that you want to be able to deploy in any environment possible. Playing a guessing game as to where you'll actually need it and designing it according to that is simply not the way it works.

A military's weapons and equipment are the physical expression of their doctrinal beliefs, save where cost or politics dictate otherwise. There is a reason why nukes are not used in the military; they're stupid. They naturally limit one's offensive, defensive, and logistical options as a result of their side-effects. They destroy the reasons why anyone would go to war in the first place; territory and resources rendered uinhabitable and unuseable. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with why tactical nuclear weaponry is a dead concept in the modern world.

In space, these rules do not apply, so one is free to use nuclear weaponry as much as they like.

I'll accept Galactica has orbit-to-surface nuclear weaponry because it's a lot easier to control a platform like Galactica through checks and balances and thereby insure nuclear weaponry is only used when appropriate.

Also, what slayer said. This exact nuke was seen in the show. Got a problem with it's design, I suggest you take it up with whoever designed it :)

I'm checking again as I write this, but I don't believe that we actually did see the whole thing, just the forward two thirds. Retraction will be issued as appropriate.

The Cylons land on planets, planets are big, and whatever nuke tech they use is apparently fairly clean. The need and the ability to use the nukes in atmosphere does exist.

Which is why they gave Galactica her battery. (Which incidentally renders the use of fighters and Raptors to deliever nuclear weapons to ground-based targets redundant.)

Also, you seem to be forgetting that they made a point of mentioning there was a strong need for anti-radiation meds for both Helo and Anders' merry little band. They're not that clean.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, I remember all that. I just don't buy it.

When the Cylons are landing, your battlestars are unable to enter orbit because of a blockade, and you need to wipe out the beachhead or face losing the whole planet, you'll be damn glad you have the option of some Raptors with nuclear weapons.

The need for anti-radiation meds in a small area is pretty trivial compared to the need for Jesus to resurrect your dead planetary population after the Cylons invade.

And no, we saw the entire nuke in Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2, when Boomer detached it from her Raptor.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:57:30 pm by General Battuta »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I believe you get to see it when the nude Boomers start fondling it.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Edited to be more polite.

Also, this

They destroy the reasons why anyone would go to war in the first place; territory and resources rendered uinhabitable and unuseable.

sort of makes me wonder what you think goes on in Hiroshima these days. Tactical nukes don't need to be significantly more damaging than that (can even be far less so if desired.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:03:28 pm by General Battuta »

Offline newman

I'm checking again as I write this, but I don't believe that we actually did see the whole thing, just the forward two thirds.

As hard as it is to believe, when a bunch of people come together to make a bsg game in their free time then they make it a point to know something about BSG. And when we model something that was seen in the show then we first find every possible and sometimes impossible reference material we can on it to make it as accurate as possible.

I trust this screecap from "Kobol's Last Gleaming pt.2" settles the matter, however. As for the rest.. edit: Oh, what's the point :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:28:44 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

As hard as it is to believe, when a bunch of people come together to make a bsg game in their free time then they make it a point to know something about BSG.

:nervous:

Good thing I'm not working on art assets then...