Author Topic: PVF Seth WIP  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
If I were to make a high-poly Seth it would probably look a lot like the one in the FSPort high-res interface art.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
Ok I found this model a while ago and im going to hopefully try and get it done.
(it might eb slow as im currently working on a project for a 3d art competition)

Anyway i deleted the old engine flaps and imported the actual seth model so I could make some proportional manipulations.
This is what I have

[attachment deleted by admin]
3D Artist In The Making.
http://krallis27.deviantart.com/

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Ooooooo. That is nice. I do think the cockpit area should see a little bit more smoothing to match along the lines on the left, but other than that, it looks really good.

In any case, I'm glad to see progress has resumed on this model. Keep it up!
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
Thank you.
As ive said progress will be slow due to my other 3d project but i hope to get this finished.

Ive actually had a great Idea regarding the model actually.
I think ive found a way to keep the proportions exact to the original.
Let me explain.

Using the original as a base in XSI is a terrible idea as it is comprised of triangles which are hard to model with properly.
However. It might be possible for me to use a new programme i have to solve this problem but im not too sure how it'd work. Id have to do some experimenting.

...EDIT its not working.

I may have to restart this model as creating a normal map from what I have so far would be a headache that need not happen. and i can drastically decrease the time this would take. But we shall see.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:01:05 pm by Krallis »
3D Artist In The Making.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Those oval areas at the back need to be completely redone to match the same element on the Horus and the Aten. I'm actually not impressed, so far it just looks like a bunch of extrusions, not very imaginative.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
Thats because it is a bunch of extrusions and yes it does look bad. Which is why im going to start the model again using new techniques i have learned. And put some things ive learned over the past while to the test.
3D Artist In The Making.

Offline Kolgena

Also, I'd personally prefer that major alterations are not made to the original model. Like, deleting engine flaps and such shouldn't be done.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Those oval areas at the back need to be completely redone to match the same element on the Horus and the Aten. I'm actually not impressed, so far it just looks like a bunch of extrusions, not very imaginative.

Thats because it is a bunch of extrusions and yes it does look bad. Which is why im going to start the model again using new techniques i have learned. And put some things ive learned over the past while to the test.

Hooray! Proof that telling someone there stuff's no good produces better results than letting them think it's good when it's not!

There have been a lot of cases where this DOESN'T happen, and the guy keeps modeling poorly... or the guy doing the modeling doesn't take it this well. Not to say it was crap, mind you... but it definitely wasn't mediavps-worthy

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, let me add that any contribution effort is appreciated, and any modeling skills are worthy of improvement. So we're glad you're here and that you're working on things.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:25:30 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

Using the original as a base in XSI is a terrible idea as it is comprised of triangles which are hard to model with properly.

I don't know if that is possible in XSI. But in Max, I can remove the triangulation easily (by deleting the "cross" edges manually), while at the same time retaining the UV's.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
I can quadrangulate in xsi but that doenst remove all the triangles completely.

FYI I didnt delete the engine flaps I just deleted the old ones. I currently have engine flaps on the model but like i said i will probably redo it form scratch anyway.
I can get better results that way.
3D Artist In The Making.