Author Topic: Homeworld complex mod  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Homeworld complex mod
Getting kicked aside by 2 easy Vagyr AI is already saying something about how bad I am. :doubt:
That's not you being so bad as it is the Vaygr being able to build heavy ships right off the bat. Thes best strategy I have found that works against them is go on a defensive and try to build up as many ships as you can while having excess researches to get to the highest research level, because then you can get the battle assist, heavy ion cannon, etc for the mothership, and with the health, attack, speed, etc upgrades makes it basically unstopppable. Do make sure you have a repair and hypserspace module, they will make it even better,
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Also, spam Hiigaran Battlecruisers with Fire Control and Hyperspace modules, just be sure to build the extra weapons on them, and build torpedo batteries instead of ion batteries since the ion batteries have an extremely limited fire arc.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Is TFS still alive? They had a short-lived partnership with PDS which disintegrated in horrible drama.

No idea. Never been in in any Homeworld communities and don't intend to be in one anyway (not when my FPS in HW2 is so low and I don't have the needed skills to even think about modding a game like that + I'm really just more to FSO). Just a case of trying to "force out" some fun out of an old disc that would otherwise be left sitting around doing nothing. :doubt:

------

I uninstalled HW2 already, horrible fps I'm getting and crash-prone but I honestly don't mind one more self-skirmish round trying a different tactic even under ~10fps. This mod is really something when the game gets going ... and this is already saying something considering that I suck! Heck I typed out another long paragraph again for this post only to backspace and try to type something shorter. XD

Really at first I thought the sides weren't balanced properly but seeing how even 2 easy Vagyr AI could knock me out really made me think of a "what if" scenario against real players with real skill and brains. :shaking:

BCs with FC and Hyperspace is something for me to think about. And yes the unstoppable nature of the Hiigarans really just helped big-time because for some reason every defense I need to do always ends up becoming a "last-ditch defense" with something like the MS or some other valuable ship on the brink of destruction or capture...

BTW question, does Complex allow for C&C-style "MCV takeover for access to enemy faction tech" or is it the same as standard HW2 where enemy MS/SY is just dead weight?
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's dead weight.

My little bro bailed on me as a hard AI started closing in for the kill. Our standard tactic is to pair our motherships up close and mount a pepperpot advance using my higaaran fighters and advance bombers with his missile frigate/capture frigate spam.

His offensive units and resource base got steamrolled so he gave me his MS and scuttled the rest. . . . . . . Like a coward.

Chicken.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
*bump for no justice at all*

I did not expect the perforation pods to be so powerful; worse if research progress is stuck because there's no money. Gone is the assumption in my head that the Hiigarans are stronger - true that their biggest guns with the right supports can just walk over everything and their MS is a MAJOR help to base defense...

But those rust-inducing pods backed up by a good set of torpedoes and guns (ala any Vagyr BC/BS/Dreadnaught?) can put even Vortexes to shame... :shaking:

And Vagyr fighters... just, wow. No wonder they don't need so many destroyer variants or fancy flying frisbees, what they have is more than enough with their basic assault craft already very irritating... and by the time I get Shiry fighters it's already too late because the capital ship warfare would've already started by then... at that point on it's a battle against time to spam corvettes and heavy bombers out in huge waves, and this is still against 2 easy Vagyr, what with their Dreadnaughts, custom BS, missiles, etc... :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
You know Vaygr Battleships can build  and mountEVERY weapon in the qeue at the same time right?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
*doesn't understand*

You mean "instant build"? Or "the Vagyr BS can install everything on the list"? Or...???

I normally spam all the upgrades when the economy is stable, the AI I normally fight against tends to not do that (successful BS captures tend to reveal lots of empty special slots, and knowing how 'stingy' HW2 is on enemy faction tech, I can't do anything)...

And yet even without everything installed those pods still hurt. Stupid vortex had to act the hero and try a 10 v 1 stunt only to die 5 seconds later when I'd already slapped on the plasma fast trackers... WTF!!!! :mad:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Yes, no Complex vet builds Vortexes due to their frakked-up attack scripts.  Hiigaran Battlecruisers have some attack script issue as well since their captains have the mistaken belief that all their guns aim towards the rear quadrant and position their ships accordingly.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Hades

Yeah, I generally just skip those two and upgrade my mothership, the Ark, and that giant space station thingy and warp those at my enemy.

Needless to say, I bet he isn't very happy when I do this. :3
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I haven't found a real use for the Ark yet other than it being some oversized... thing... with a huge fighterbay... I tried to launch an attack with it once but I ended up using it (read: moving WALL) to defend the base against 4-5 frigate waves mixed up with destroyers and corvettes of all things.... always happens when I attack, I'm bad at preventing getting jumped on... well MS + battle asset to save the day when the going gets though, the beam cannons were a lifesaver.

I even had a nice Shuttle with 4 juggs that in the end didn't do a thing as the game ended other than being a Patcher dummy base. :sigh:

My most recent game went better, I had a pair of Vortexes with different guns still refusing to obey orders but I managed to force them back to base... battle asset MS, Ark, a few carriers sitting around doing nothing on fire support (might as well put the sweepers and crappy machine guns to use), 30+ fighters of random classes and the two stubborn pricks kept the repeated capital ship swarms at bay thankfully. AND DAMMIT enemy MS isn't capturable waste my time building frigates for nothing. :mad:

Curiously one of the CPUs decided to send out his MS, building an SY while at it just to defend his last resource point... or maybe he was trying to attack another CPU with me smack in the middle, I have no idea why the MS was moved well away from the spawn point. "Okay, your carrier blocking the front door to my base is annoying and my fighters are taking too long and MS beam cannon for some reason isn't firing, so here's a present..." BOOOOM--- "The Complex match is terminated for CPU x"
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Hades

Can you still send the giant starbase into hyperspace? I used to do that all the time, warp a fully upgraded station right into my enemy's base.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Never tried. I just used it to launch nukes. If it could jump anywhere then maybe because a nearby unit had a hyperspace module.

I made a BC jump once, but then when I called it back I realised it didn't have the module to jump back... crawl back the long way home (the game lagging bad enough that 1 second seemed like 10 seconds didn't help things either).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The second time my brother and I played this mod, we both (unbeknownst to the other) built the battlefortress with a hyperspace module and a blocker too. Both stations were screwed once I managed to jump close to his one.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Just downloaded it...My initial impression

"OH GOD WHAT ARE ALL THESE NUMBERS AND BUTTONS OH GOD WHY DOESN'T MY BATTLECRUISER HAVE ANY WEAPONS OH GOD IT WENT KABLOOEY!!!"

Yeah...lots of stuff I have to get used to. I thought PDS was advanced, geez. Atleast it lives up to it's name

If you think Complex is hard, try figuring out the weapons and classifications in TFS.  That mod has more TLA's than the federal government.

My first game of complex finally done, ended in victory. Was a close one though, they managed to kill my mothership

Offline Hades

Oh that's right, you could build a hyperspace module on the starbase.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Yeah, that's how you get the Battle Ark and another Command Fortress

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Hero_Swe, always build a backup core :)

Had a game of this the other day with my bro and as usual the ai was hounding me, to the point where I had to send everything I owned over to my brothers perimiter while my stock loadout (except a sweeper set) mothership held off seven destroyers. I say held off, I actually limped into the middle of their formation and scuttled my ms as I was skint and at the point where the sirens were going off.

I took five of them out in the blast.

Then they sent the big **** out.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

If you're going to play as Hiigs in Complex, use the Complex: Custom gametype so you can adjust research sensitivity.  That way you can tech quicker up the tree so the Vaygr don't get as far ahead of you in terms of available ships with big guns.