Author Topic: MediaVP maps for medical models?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
MediaVP maps for medical models?
Are there any plans amongst the port upgrade team to do Glow/Shine/Normal maps for Dark's four medical skins (Chronos, Elysium, TAC1 and Faustus) included in the Port VP?

I understand that if they are they'd be low on the agenda, as they're not used as often as other models, but i am planning to use them in an upcoming campaign (still in conceptual stage so no rush), and wanted to quickly check. Cheers.

And congrats on all your work so far btw; there's a lot of really impressive stuff coming out of here (the missile tech models and the HoL alternative textures) that are really putting icing on the cake! Good job! :yes:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:04:07 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Narvi

Re: MediaVP maps for medical models?
...medical skins?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
...medical skins?
Yes. Medical skins.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
jojo! they look nice alright, never knew about those.
el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
looks good but what about a re-skin for the GTM Hippocrates
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Narvi

looks good but what about a re-skin for the GTM Hippocrates

That's already a medical frigate. I guess whomever made the FSPort reskins did so because FS1 didn't really have a medical craft.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
i think the colours shown below would work better, i'm presuming as the original's colouring matches the deimos that the ones seen in game or militery operated ships, presumably there would be civy versions
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well first of all the Hippocrates should have its HTL model finished before the textures are tampered with. :nod:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
7th reply and thread derailed, I wonder how it will look next time...  :doubt:
Back on topic, I'm also intrested in those reskins, so it would be nice to see them brought to mediavps quality.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not really since it's pertaining to putting medical textures on a different ship, which is in the process of being HTL'ed.

Since there's an HTL model of all the ships that used a medical texture, shouldn't they be made for those instead?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Aren't all the ships with medical textures now already HTL ships?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No. I just messed with FSPort + MediaVPs not too long ago and they're Retail models.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yes, it has to do with the way that reskins are handled in 3.6.10. Coincedentally, it's the same reason all nameplated Orions use the low-poly models. Modding technobabble follows:

Here's the structure. Retail-style uses a duplicated model, with just the one texture replaced; so, in the Port core VPs, you will find a science01.pof and a science01-med.pof, the only difference being the name of the texture applied.

However this is a duplication of work; if, for instance, there is a change to the high-poly Faustus Media VP model, the Medical Faustus won't be updated unless the model is duplicated and reskinned. This goes for all the Orions, too, so there's potential for errors, more file space taken up, and more memory taken up, by having all these model duplicates that are loaded into memory.

Therefore the FSPort Media VPs use a different approach; each Faustus or Orion reskin table entry loads the one original model, then uses the Texture Replace function to change that texture on-the-fly. This is the way that the HoL reskins are handled, only on a per-mission basis rather than being in the tables. The result is less wasted space and less memory usage.

Unfortunately, as of 3.6.10, the texture replacement function in the tables is not working properly. These lines use version-specific commenting, so as of 3.6.11 they will be properly configured to use the high-poly models.

tl;dr It'll be fixed in 3.6.11.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Awesome. Cheers Galemp. That saves a lot of work :).

Just to check; changing the names and TBL info on some of the medical reskin entires wont cause any problems for your new system will it? I'd had plans to rename the medical TAC to TMM (medical module) and the Medical Faustus to "GTMC Deadelus" (which i vaguelly recall Dark calling it at one point).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It will, actually. FSPort MVP table entries use the ship class with +NoCreate to make the reskin. If you want to use FSPort, MediaVPs, FSPort MVPs, and your own mod, I highly recommend you look through all the necessary tables and pull together what you need from there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
as they're not used as often as other models

I have only seen them being used in one campaign - and it was my campaign "Rain On Ribos 4"

but i am planning to use them in an upcoming campaign

Just use them - I did as well
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
They are used in Aftermath and Civil War also.  The medical models will not work in 3.6.11 and later.  It just defaults to the original model I.E. Faustus, Elysium, Chronos or TAC 1.  However texture replacement will work.  I'm going back into the campaigns and using the original model and texture replacement to create the medical version in Aftermath and civil war.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:35:59 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.