Poll

Do you have a joystick?

Yes
45 (78.9%)
No
12 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Do you have a joystick?  (Read 2402 times)

Do you have a joystick?
i'm guessing most of the people in this community have one...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Do you have a joystick?
There have been several polls like this already in General FreeSpace. Please  do try to post threads in areas where they are appropriate.

Your first post? That was fine. This one? Not so much.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

sorry i was kinda hoping that polls would show up differently than threads but this is just wasting space.  i don't know how to delete it  :blah:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
they normally get moved by admins.

but yea i use ch fighter stick, pro throttle and pedals. its probibly gonna be the last joystick i ever buy :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Even if I could play the game better with another config, I'd never do it without a joystick.  It just wouldn't feel right. :p

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
yeah have a stick and fly with stick.
joysticks generate a better atmosphäre for flying games.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We could just pretend the SCP staff was interested in what people who read the SCP forum use  :)

I don't read general that often anyway so I wouldn't have weighed in there.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Vretsu

Yes.

However, I played Fs1 with the numpad config for years. It has had wierd effects on the rest of my life. >.>

Edit: why is this in the SCP forum? Clearly you have also used the numpad for an extended period.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
when i played descent it was all keyboard. but i think i got my ms sidewinder around the time fs1 came out. good stick, shame they dont make em like that anymore. freespace i always played with a joystick. it feels wrong any other way.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let's make this interesting and move it to games instead then. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I have joystick, but it's a pretty crap thing unfortunately, doesn't even have a rotatable handle :( Need a better one but they are hard to come by there days.

Offline Demitri

Still use my MS Sidewinder stick. Been with me thro the good times and the bad! :p
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

*checks pants*
*clears throat*
Why, yes, I do.
 :nervous:
That said, I have the Logitech Wingman Force 3D that, incidently, came packaged with a copy of FS2 Collosus.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Sobbsy

I do have a joystick, and although it's not the best, it's pretty good for flight sims and the like. My friend has some stupidly expensive (like $300+) thing that I tried once which was also really nice.

Though to be honest, I only play Freespace / Freespace 2 with a mouse & keyboard. I just can't get as much precision & control out of a joystick as I can out of a mouse & keyboard combo.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I do.

But I'm honestly not sure where it is. Haven't used it in a few years.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I do, an old Saitek Cyborg (not 3d), unfortunately my new comp doesn't have a gameport which the stick requires, therefore it is of no use (unless I later fit an old soundcard). So for now I shall stick to my Playstation 2 gamepad.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
OF COURSE!

just a logitech attack 3, though, boght it to play BF1942 around 2003 I think.
or maybe BF2 in 06.
most likely the former

Used to use a Thrustmaster "Top Gun", with a serial plug.  Thing would creak at every bank, no twist axis.
Replaced that with a Logitech 2.4 cordless, and I was damn good with it.  Had a twist, throttle, nice resistance, buttons on the base.  It died.  I cried.
Replaced that with the HOTAS x52.  Though I've managed to cram every relevant control (including 32! different targeting buttons) onto the two units, I'm still pretty lousy with it.  (I play with fov at .39, so keeping targets in view isn't as easy as default).  Been playing on easy for the last 3 months, cause I can't get used to the feathery stick return - I don't care if it's easier on my wrists, I want a bigger spring.  I'm getting better, though; muscle memory is catching up, and every function I want is right beneath my fingers.  only thing I use the keyboard for is comms, and that's because I was never satisfied with the voice recognition implementation.
Oh, and the throttle is badass.  and the Base T switches (for energy management). and the hats.  I even use the 'mouse stick' to adjust position when matching speed.  I may suck at hitting targets, but I'm awesome at formation flying!
So yeah, I have a stick. now two. always have. Can't imagine playing without one. I won't even play mechwarrior without one, although I admit it's a lot easier to get precision hits with mouse/keyboard in the MW series. But I don't care! Long live PC gaming!
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein