Author Topic: Joystick used in viper!  (Read 21267 times)

Joystick used in viper!
I found something that im sure you all would be interested in. I found the exact joystick they used as a the prop for the one in the viper cockpit. I always thought they just used a military surplus one from a real jet or a replica of one rather than a computer gaming joystick! To me it doesnt look like the one in the viper but I guess they did some heavy butchering and modification of it.

http://future-past.com/sets/viper_mk2.php

Not sure how good that one actually works as a game controller but if you want to feel like a viper pilot thats the closest youll get. Personally I prefer just the good old mouse and keyboard.

Note: I just read more and thats actually not the "main" joystick. Its only the secondary one. The page says that the main joystick is also a flight simulator one but doesnt say what model and brand.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:37:13 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Joystick used in viper!
Heh, I cannot imagine that thing being comfortable to hold in a dogfight.

Offline Snagger

Note: I just read more and thats actually not the "main" joystick. Its only the secondary one. The page says that the main joystick is also a flight simulator one but doesnt say what model and brand.

I think it's the same joystick you see Lee use when he opens fire on the Olympic Carrier in his MkVII, though it may have been in Starbuck's Mk II.  It was definitely used as the main stick in a Viper, and I don't recall ever seeing a second sick in a Viper cockpit, though I may just have missed it..  You also see one in the back of the Raptor at some point.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
And Raptor side panel (at least) uses a Logitech Attack 3.
  :p

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Does it develop sensor issues and start twitching the entire Raptor wildly after a few months? :p

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Does it develop sensor issues and start twitching the entire Raptor wildly after a few months? :p

Yes, judging by the number of Raptors they lost throughout the show.
At least they didn't use a MS stick... :nervous:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
...They should have gone with CH products!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What do you mean?  The Sidewinder line of sticks was awesome.

This is the "main" stick used in the ViperMK2. The page says its also a gaming joystick. Does anyone know what model and brand it is?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, judging by the number of Raptors they lost throughout the show.

It's the sidepanel stick, you don't use it to fly the Raptor!

That would explain the lack of Raptors deploying guided weaponry, though. They can't properly designate targets. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
This is the "main" stick used in the ViperMK2. The page says its also a gaming joystick. Does anyone know what model and brand it is?

Hm, that looks like a real F-16 stick to me. I don't recall any off the shelf sticks that look like a piece of metal. :P

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It's called the props department, Dilmah.  :P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

that makes me happy, because I have one and used in in BtRL demo.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

It's the F/A-18 Hornet stick. I am unaware that any gaming joystick would be based on this - the closest match is Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS which is based on F-16 controls and is distinctly different in shape and button distribution.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rebound

The F/A 18 joystick used in the MKII is a Suncom talon joystick they havent been made for many many years and are relativley hard to find technically they are a replica of F-15 sticks but the F15 and F/A 18 share the same stick design.  The new saitek x65f has a similar look.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

that makes me happy, because I have one and used in in BtRL demo.

Same here, though I do wish it had twist/roll facility, it's the only thing that annoys me about it, I used to have a Sidewinder, which did have that function, and have on more than one occasion nearly broken the thing because I forgot that the Attack 3 doesn't :(

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Ah yes, economy joysticks...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol:

In truth, it was the only one in the shop, unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to get a decent joystick. When it dies, I'll probably go online for the next one and get a decent one :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'd even call the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I've got an economy stick. It cost me about 50 USD at Best Buy (way overpriced - it's about 30 USD directly from Logitech), but it ended up cheaper in a way as I was able to sign on for a test run of junk magazines - participation therein got me $20 credit at Best Buy. This was really handy as my mouse died, and I used that credit to get a new mouse.

If I had to get a new stick, I'd try to get a deal on a CH stick. If I had infinite funds, I might go for the new pressure-sensitive Saitek stick.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Mark_01

Hi Y'all. Been a LONG time since I was here....

That is a Suncom Strike Fighter Series stick. They went out of business about 2 years after they released this with the SFS Throttle, which was a split F-15/F-18/A-10 type arrangement. You can still find them on the auction site, but they are GAMEPORT devices, and you'll need a souncard with a port on it. You can still score those easily, too. I know because I currently have one running for my flight sims while my Thrustmaster Cougar is waiting for new potentiometers. Either that, or it IS a F-15/F-18/ A-10 surplus stick, as that screw hole to the right of the thumb switch isn't on the SFS stick....also looks like an LED below the Castle switch...might be a surplus jet stick.