Author Topic: In need of OGG static libraries for OSX  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In need of OGG static libraries for OSX
It turns out that the OGG bug which was fixed in Windows is also present on OSX.  Would someone be able to compile new OSX libraries for us to add to SVN?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: In need of OGG static libraries for OSX
Well, for the next release we're hopefully going to just build it from source so that won't be necessary.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

Anyone able to help with this?  Looks like we don't have building-from-source ready quite yet.

Offline Echelon9

Which version of OGG do I need to compile to ensure the bug is fixed?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Dang it's been a while and I forgot.  I will try to get that question answered very shortly.  In any case, you could try the latest stable from each of ogg, vorbis, theora, and vorbisfile (in vorbis-tools?).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:14:57 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

...?

Offline Pyro3d

Hi there,
So, I managed to generate some libraries/frameworks/whatever I *think* will work properly. They work on my system, but I don't have access to another system to test on. Building FS2_Open with the attached frameworks resulted in a binary (for me, at least) that plays mjn.mixael's movies. I don't know if it works for everyone, though.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Awesome, I'll try and test this on the nightly machine by tomorrow.

Offline Echelon9

Hi there,
So, I managed to generate some libraries/frameworks/whatever I *think* will work properly. They work on my system, but I don't have access to another system to test on. Building FS2_Open with the attached frameworks resulted in a binary (for me, at least) that plays mjn.mixael's movies. I don't know if it works for everyone, though.
Pyro3D do you have documented steps you used to build these? I tried on OS 10.6.7, with Xcode 3, and had all sorts of compiler compatability issues.

Offline Pyro3d

Hi there,
Pyro3D do you have documented steps you used to build these? I tried on OS 10.6.7, with Xcode 3, and had all sorts of compiler compatability issues.

None strictly documented, no. Most of this was the result of experimentation with various solutions that I found online (which is one of the reasons I'm worried about it only working for me). I had planned on putting something up once I got a confirmation on whether or not it actually works, but I'll just write up what I did now:

While building OGG, Vorbis, and Theora, I changed the default build settings, namely compiling with GCC 4.0, and changing the "Installation Directory" flag from "/Library/Frameworks/" to "@executable_path/../Frameworks". (The problems generated by the latter, for me, at least, didn't show up in during Compile/Linking, only when I tried to start the binary.) In the builds I supplied, I also checked "Strip Linked Product", but on further experimentation it appears that's not necessary.

With Theora and Vorbis, I used the Ogg framework I had just compiled, basically dragging and dropping it in from the Finder, while making sure that it's getting added to the appropriate target (Vorbis or Theora). Also with Theora I noticed that it wasn't creating dual-architecture builds so I went ahead and added that.

This was all done on OSX 10.6.7 with Xcode 3 (3.2.6 to be precise), but I've mucked about with this install quite a bit (The other reason I'm worried), so I might be special.

Hope that's coherent enough. Also that I don't appear condescending...

Offline Echelon9

Thanks, this is really useful. Those errors you fixed were the ones I was having too, so I'll see if your approach works on a different system.

Offline Pyro3d

Thanks, this is really useful. Those errors you fixed were the ones I was having too, so I'll see if your approach works on a different system.

No problem, let me know if it works.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I tried these the other day and ran into an issue, but forgot what it was.  I haven't forgotten about them though.

Offline Pyro3d

Just did a fresh install, and tested these with 10.6.0. They worked fine; I was able to run the binary, view mjn.mixael's movies from the tech room, etc.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I tried them a few days ago finally, they seemed to be working so far although I never actually hit an intro movie or anything.