Author Topic: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions  (Read 40103 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions
Just a minor thing but TBH I'd personally prefer radio buttons instead. 1 click per turret instead of 2. Non rotation movement types are not at all likely any time soon, and I doubt that such a system would need anything specified in the POF anyway. That'd most likely be handled by the instructions in the ships table entry or something.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
5) A default save name - currently even if you've opened an existing pof, when you go to save it you will have to type in the name of or select that same pof to give it a name, since that field is blank by default. The number of times I've overwritten the wrong model by mistake cos of that.... :\
This should be happening already in 2.1 at least.

3) A 'recent files' list in the file menu
Done.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm unsure if it has been mentioned, but would that be possible to reintroduce PCS1 insygnia editor to PCS2?
It could come in handy for setting up insygnia on user-made models which don't have them by default and a modeler is unavaiable, as well as for modelers who don't know how to set insygnia in the modelling program.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know if this is possible, but one thing that would have helped me is when you are looking at the textures, it gives you the filename of the texture.

EIDT: Apparently it already does... my bad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:10:18 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So... in relation to my previous texture post... how about the ability to 'open currently selected texture in default editor' option?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Have you tried the "Open Externaly" button?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Now that you mention it.. there is one isn't there... it doesn't work for me.. that's why I thought there wasn't one.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Another small request - could it be ensured that saving as POF is the default option despite any filename extensions? I just converted a DAE, added all the pof data and saved, but then found it had saved it as a dae because the default filename still had .dae on the end.

On this model it's lucky because it didn't have any of the kinds of data (rotation basically) that would have caused me to lose work, but it came close! I somehow also saved it as a COB. Don't know how that happened. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's different from a lot of apps, although in the case of dealing with conversions there's usually some exceptions.  I would argue that the default should actually be PMF, that way there's no conversion performed in case you forget to select one, and no data is lost.  It's PCS2's native format so that makes the most sense to me at least.  Every other save is more like an export.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Yeah PMF would be fine too. :)

Also one other thing but the right click seems to have been remapped to roll the model whereas it used to zoom in and out. Middle mouse still rolls. Can we get the right-click to be zoom in/out once more?

Or actually what might be nicest:

Left click & drag -> rotate view
Scroll wheel -> zoom in or out
Middle click & drag -> pan view
Right click & drag -> roll the ship
Twisted Infinities

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
What about a "hide" function? Currently, trying to distiguish special points on a complex destroyed can be hectic. Being able to hide other special points would make this easy breezy.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
What about a "hide" function? Currently, trying to distiguish special points on a complex destroyed can be hectic. Being able to hide other special points would make this easy breezy.
Wouldn't the more obvious solution be to make the current selection more clear?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Hmm no that's a pretty good suggestion actually - cos especially on retail ships you have giant split specials that can make anything below them hard to see. Also subsystems in close proximity to each other can tend to blend together into a bit of a white glob depending on the ship. I've changed my colours around so there's significant difference and I do still have trouble occasionally. Being able to hide some or maybe all but the active subsystem would be helpful.

A hide subobject function could also be useful when dealing with complex models with lots of subobjects and/or moving parts. Like if you have a launch bay tunnel and are trying to accurately define path points - turn off the detail0 subobject and deal only with the hangar subobject. :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I guess this is relevant here... I haven't checked in a "recent" PCS2 (where can I get one?) but I'd hazard a guess nobody's done anything about this:

Consider the model debris01.pof -- 3d debris 'flakes' spawned when you shoot stuff... each species has its own texture which is applied to it. In PCS2, you can't see that it contains anything at all, without creating a subobject (IIRC)

I don't know how this would best be dealt with however

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No problem at all seeing that in PCS2 but only the first species is actually used in game no matter what.  I filed the mantis report on that one.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
How about the ability to move a subobjects origin?

To illustrate what I mean, consider a turret arm. The origin of the turret arm sub object is rarely its actual center... its usually placed at the base so the arm rotates around that point. But lets say you screwed up and exported with the origin of the arm in the actual center instead of the point you wish it to rotate around. You would have to re-export to fix it. Would be nice to just adjust the value in PCS2 instead.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
on point lists (weapon points, path points and any other kind of point (or any data in general) where you have more than one in a list), add sort up/down buttons to the interface that when clicked moves the selected point up/down to the previous/next index, so you can sort them out quickly if they are in the incorrect order. useful for when autogen screws up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:12:40 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
:bump:

i'd like to request the ability to add thrusters to a rotating subobject. So far you can only parent them to "detail0".

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That sounds more like a game-engine limitation.

Does anyone feel like organising all these requests into some rough priority/demand buckets?

Oh, while we're at it, it would be great if turret firepoints were drawn with respect to the physical parent centre, like the game does. It can be tricky to set up multipart firepoints as-is.