Author Topic: The Alpha Protocol Controvery  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The Alpha Protocol Controvery
http://free-pc-guides.com/games/difference-of-opinions-alpha-protocol-eu-vs-us-reviews-whos-right-and-whos-wrong-01928

Obsidian’s first original IP, Alpha Protocol, was launched yesterday in US stores, a few days after the European release. Despite its long development cycle and the fact that the game was initially supposed to come out over half a year ago, Alpha Protocol still managed to capture the attention of gamers everywhere, especially of RPG fans. Why is that? one may ask (granted, an “unenlightened” one). Quite simply because every game that’s coming from a studio founded by the likes of Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone (of Black Isle fame) has the potential of being an RPG masterpiece.

Starting May 28, almost every on-line gaming site has posted its Alpha Protocol review and, like an RPG fan that I am, I immediately started to read…and read…and then read some more. And, at the end of it all, instead of having a clear picture in my mind, there i stood…baffled…and curious like hell.

Many of you have probably noticed how many radically different Alpha Protocol reviews are out there, both in terms of overall scores but also regarding the appreciated/criticized elements. If you take a closer look at these articles (online or written) you will observe that two trends exist: one that consists of bashing almost all the game’s components, and another one that appreciates the game as a blend that’s ultimately better than the sum of its parts. While both currents identify almost the same issues (mostly graphics and AI departments) the first review category finds these issues “game breaking”, while the latter views them only as some flaws that could have been avoided, but don’t damage the entire gaming experience.

The existence of the two very oposite trends didn’t initially intrigue me too much but, after putting the pieces together, I’ve realized that the “negative” one is emphasized almost exclusively within the US reviews, while the “positive” trend is made out almost entirely out of European Alpha Protocol reviews.

So all in all, finally a game that seems to bring gameplay innovations around how you interact with the people of it's world, but it's hampered by bad technical execution that mar the game's potential as an action game: how come US reviews fail to even give token respect to what went into the RPG parts of the game?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: The Alpha Protocol Controvery
I've never heard of this game before.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I've never heard of this game before.

Then you aren't paying very much attention.

Offline mxlm

I like it a hell of a lot.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Most of the especially low rated professional reviews can be described as clueless.

You've got criticisms about it being difficult to run and gun - which it is, as like Deus Ex, you need a lot of skill points before run and gun is practical.  Pause and aim is necessary and intentional.  Then you have bits like the reviewer describing AI as terrible because the enemies run up to you to melee - of course, had he read their dossiers, he would've realized this isn't an AI bug, but the character of that particular faction.

I think they were expecting Mass Effect 2 like gameplay, and got more Deus Ex.  That's all I can think of anyway, because I'm having a blast.  High stealth, a positional sound generator, a silenced pistol and kung fu make for lots of fun.

That said, the minigames really are that annoying.  But since I've never seen a minigame that wasn't at least a little annoying, it seems unfair to harp on them, even if they are awfully common.

Offline mxlm

Hey, so guess what Obsidian's working on now?

Dungeon Siege 3.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm confident it will be fun, because, Obsidian. But Dungeon Siege? Really?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I don't think I have experienced gameplay quite as unpleasant as this for a very long time.

Offline mxlm

Minigames or combat or stealth or all of the above?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Pretty much the entire game except for the dialogue sequences. Nothing feels right. It's impossible to get immersed in the damn thing because everything feels so overwhelmingly contrived and video-gamey.

But the stealth, more than anything. I feel like I'm supposed to be taking that approach, but I've lost count of the number of times I've been discovered and had no idea what I could have done to avoid it. There just isn't enough feedback, and what there is seems inconsistent.

How many skill points do you have in stealth, and are you making use of the active abilities the tree grants?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I finished AP the other day and quite enjoyed it... Like Bioware Obsidian has again shown that RPGs most of all need good dialogue and lots of choices in the quest structure - open worlds and character customisation are only secondary

There are some downsides to it though;
as Ransom points out the Stealth system is curde - even with Master Awareness you dont get much of a feed back on where you can successfully hide (mass use of Shadow Operative got me through higher levels)
The mini-games are another matter: some are unbeatable if you haven't maxed out your techskill at early levels and didn't buy the right gear (EMPs and Imprinted/Interageted Curcuits - last ones are armor mods); hacking is esspecially difficult 'cause you have to find a 7-4 digits code (which is static) in a sea of moving numbers and letters, if you don't conentrate hard enough it really takes you multiple attempts - but high level electronics (ever tried hacking a G22 camera? or the keypads in the Tapei Grand Hotel?) are worse

For those how are going to play (again perhaps) or are still playing my hitlist of tips:
1. Always put points on Sabotage -> it gives you additional time in mini-games
2. Check if you can buy an armor mod that gives you boni to hacking and electronics (Imprinted/Interageted Curcuits)
3. Pause BEFORE minigames -> Pause before you rush into mingames (esspecially hacking) and try to focus a bit, everything will be easy if you just manage to stay calm and focus
4. Pistol your way through! Combine the ability Chain Shot with a silenced pistol and Steel Core Rounds -> You will get enough time to aim headshots (though only at middle and short range) even in the middle of the firefight and Steel Core Rounds should help you to get through enemy armor; Usually 2 headshots (overkill I know) will negate even boss-armor and take down the most standard foes
5. Shadow Operative -> Sorry to say it but this ability IS the stealth system
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:31:18 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mxlm

overwhelmingly contrived and video-gamey.

Amusingly, my favorite moment in the game (Russian boss battle) was also the game's most contrived and video-gamey moment