Author Topic: Bible "literally true"  (Read 14629 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Bible "literally true"
*sigh*

I think this is pointless. But it is sad to see you engaging in the same kind of rampant, overgeneralized stereotyping that your stereotypical religious person deploys against gay people.

Go find me a reasonable religious person and I promise I'll change my opinion.

Present!  Been here the whole time, too.

Offline iamzack

So you recognize your beliefs as totally irrational and nonsensical?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
*sigh*

I think this is pointless. But it is sad to see you engaging in the same kind of rampant, overgeneralized stereotyping that your stereotypical religious person deploys against gay people.

My friend Deanna is a devout Christian, incredibly sweet, and devoted to social justice. She believes that her beliefs only apply to her personally and that everybody needs to reach their own conclusions.
So you recognize your beliefs as totally irrational and nonsensical?

They're just not supported by evidence.

Religions are sets of (mostly) internally self-consistent fantasies that supply a narrative to human existence. They proscribe behavior with real-world consequences, and if a religious person believes that obeying their creed will lead them to behave as a better person, then it is rational for them to do so.

Offline iamzack

Okay, that passes. In that case, I will still shun all religious people until I know their beliefs well enough to determine that they are safe to interact with. That's instead of just shunning them forever and pretending they don't exist. :)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I have yet to see an actual literalist. Try to confront one you suspect, and ask them about shellfish. The bible condemns eating shellfish as "an abomination" on par with homosexuality. Or ask him about mixed fabrics clothes. Again, bible says it's not allowed. No, the only Christians so far are cafeteria Christians - No death and doom ideology for me, I'll move over here to the "love your neighbor" line, ignoring the very next passage and just taking what I like.

There is no such thing as a literalist, because they would not be able to function in today's society.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Okay, that passes. In that case, I will still shun all religious people until I know their beliefs well enough to determine that they are safe to interact with. That's instead of just shunning them forever and pretending they don't exist. :)

Replace "religious people" with "black people" (or any other ethnicity/orientation), and it's still hugely generalizing (and mildly insulting).

I have yet to see an actual literalist. Try to confront one you suspect, and ask them about shellfish. The bible condemns eating shellfish as "an abomination" on par with homosexuality. Or ask him about mixed fabrics clothes. Again, bible says it's not allowed. No, the only Christians so far are cafeteria Christians - No death and doom ideology for me, I'll move over here to the "love your neighbor" line, ignoring the very next passage and just taking what I like.

There is no such thing as a literalist, because they would not be able to function in today's society.

Quote from: Matthew 15:11
What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'

The same applies for much of what you are referring.

Offline iamzack

Black people are born black. Nobody is born Christian, Jewish, Scientologist, etc. That's something you're indoctrinated with. Religious people need sympathy and support groups, not special considerations.

*sigh*

Hi Zack! ;)

Replace "religious people" with "black people" (or any other ethnicity/orientation), and it's still hugely generalizing (and mildly insulting).
One step at a time please.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Black people are born black. Nobody is born Christian, Jewish, Scientologist, etc. That's something you're indoctrinated with. Religious people need sympathy and support groups, not special considerations.

They still don't have much choice.  We're special because our parents sucked at indoctrination.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline iamzack

My church was ****ing excellent at indoctrination. I was just lucky enough to have friends outside of church that could unbrainwash me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
My church was ****ing excellent at indoctrination. I was just lucky enough to have friends outside of church that could unbrainwash me.

And what is better about your life now?  I can almost guarantee you, whatever you say is not mutually exclusive with faith.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I generally don't mind religious peeple as long as they don't get all *****y about everything.

Offline iamzack

I have premarital and gay sex whenever I want without feeling guilty. Oh, and I can dance and do drugs and sleep in on Sundays. AND I don't spend all my time moaning to the invisible sky daddy about not being worthy of forgiveness please forgive me blah blah blaaaahhhhh.

My whole life is mutually exclusive with all the faiths I've ever heard of. :P

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I just like being good without needing a supernatural threat to keep me in line.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

and sleep in on Sundays.
That's it. I'm an atheist now. :lol:

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have premarital and gay sex whenever I want without feeling guilty.

Fair point on that one.

Oh, and I can dance and do drugs and sleep in on Sundays.

Nowhere I've read says you can't do the first two.  And my church has evening services.  Or Saturday services, if you don't have anything better to do.

AND I don't spend all my time moaning to the invisible sky daddy about not being worthy of forgiveness please forgive me blah blah blaaaahhhhh.

Quote from: The Lord's Prayer
This, then, is how you should pray:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.

Sorry, where's all the moaning about not being worthy of forgiveness?

My whole life is mutually exclusive with all the faiths I've ever heard of. :P

Less so than you might think.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Quote from: Scotty

Quote from: Matthew 15:11
What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'

The same applies for much of what you are referring.

Elaborate, I'm a bit confused here.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's not what you eat or what you wear that makes a person unclean, it's what they say and how they act.

Offline iamzack

Quote from: The Lord's Prayer
This, then, is how you should pray:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.

Sorry, where's all the moaning about not being worthy of forgiveness?

Who even says the lord's prayer outside of a group chant in a service? Besides even the lord's prayer is all GIMME GIMME GIMME. bread, forgiveness, salvation. **** it, I'll pay my own way, thanks.

Oh, and I can dance and do drugs and sleep in on Sundays.

Nowhere I've read says you can't do the first two.  And my church has evening services.  Or Saturday services, if you don't have anything better to do.

Depends on your particular brand of faith. Almost all of them are against having fun in some way, usually drugs and sex, sometimes dancing, especially where I live. My point about Sundays is that I can think of dozens of better things to do with my time than be preached at about my transgressions.

You know what? My new goal in life is to gay**** on the altar of each type of major religion. Starting with Baptists.

It's not what you eat or what you wear that makes a person unclean, it's what they say and how they act.

And who they **** and when and where and how. :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Depends on your particular brand of faith.

I guess it must.  I've never had any problem with it.  Nor, in fact, have I had any problems being preached to about my transgressions.  Our Pastor takes great care to give sermons about bettering oneself, not damning everyone for sinning.

For reference, I go to a Southern Baptist church in Kansas.  Then again, we're more likely to be partying than be shouting damnation to this group or another.