Author Topic: Frontier First Encounters - in Direct X  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Al-Rik

Frontier First Encounters - in Direct X
While looking for Oolite I noticed there is a improved version of Frontier First Encounters. There is a thread in the official forum of Frontier Games.
The original version and the improved versions are both shareware, if you play it longer than 30 days you should pay a small amount of money to Frontier Games.

While the game isn't really beautiful, it's highly addictive. Flight model is Newtonian.
You can switch with TAB through the modes of the Autopilot:
Off = Front, Main & directional Thrusters are controlled directly by the pilot. That's the mode for dogfighting
SET = the pilot sets a velocity and control the direction of the ship, the autopilot controls the thrusters. That's the mode for atmospheric flight.
Auto = the autopilot controls everything, and that's the mode for long distance travel. And it only works if you have selected a target for the autopilot.

Joysticks are supported, but only with one button, so you have to map the needed keys with Joy2Key or an other 3rd party Software.
Pro Tip: Map your directional thrusters on the coolie hat, it makes evading much easier.

Here some screen shots:
Ship Info Screen

You can buy different ships:

Commander Info Screen

Flying low over a city

Various newspapers bring information and propaganda

Speaking of Propaganda

Use the Star Map to set your course through hyperspace:

The System Info shows were to go after the jump:

The Orbit Map can used to set course for the autopilot.

View after leaving a space station

Sirocco Station on Merlin, a moon of the Gas Giant Aster in the Ross 154 System

A Space port on a more friendly world:

On this website is the download link:
http://www.eliteforever.co.uk/games.html

And there is the thread to give feedback:
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1084&page=110

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Frontier First Encounters - in Direct X
is this newer than the opengl version?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

don't give money to frontier! david braben is an egotistical dick with a disproportionately large jaw
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Which version is the best one, though? Also can I use the version with the videos with the other one, and then gain the video sequences from the first one?

Offline Al-Rik

is this newer than the opengl version?
It's much newer than the open GL version, the Build from AndyJ is from April 2013.

AFAIK the open GL version has had no new models, FFE 3D has a lot of new models and textures.

Which version is the best one, though? Also can I use the version with the videos with the other one, and then gain the video sequences from the first one?

IMHO the build from AndyJ. Izzys build doesn't work on my PC.
It's possible to copy the video sequences from the first on, but they are... special ;)

don't give money to frontier! david braben is an egotistical dick with a disproportionately large jaw
Well, there is no DRM or something to ensure that you have to pay,...

i don't want to give him the INTELLECTUAL VINDICATION of enjoying his game
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When calling out the creator of the entire space trading genre on a board dedicated to space combat games, you're going to have to give us more than "he has a large jaw"
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

i said he was an egotistical dick as well!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Whilst I don't agree with the way he treated Bell, an ego seems to play a very big role in being willing to create new genre's and ideas. History is replete with egotistical dickheads who changed the world to greater or lesser extremes.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
i said he was an egotistical dick as well!

Without examples, you're only going to convince people who value your opinion highly. I won't hazard to guess what percentage of HLP users that is, but I doubt it's 100%. :p

So if you really don't want people to give him money, perhaps more than just an opinion is required.

giving him money will increase the reproductive fitness of him and any children he may have, which will increase the probability that his massive jaw will be propagated down through future generations

q.e.z.

also i generally strongly dislike the way he paints himself as this Innovative Leader Of The British Computing Industry when his career can basically be summed up by decade as "elite, frontier, rollercoaster tycoon 3, disneyland kinect adventures"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the graphics are somewhat better. but i only flew from one planet to another. ive never gotten very far in the game, and this aint the first time ive given it a shot.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
giving him money will increase the reproductive fitness of him and any children he may have, which will increase the probability that his massive jaw will be propagated down through future generations

q.e.z.

also i generally strongly dislike the way he paints himself as this Innovative Leader Of The British Computing Industry when his career can basically be summed up by decade as "elite, frontier, rollercoaster tycoon 3, disneyland kinect adventures"

That's it? **** I'm buying this game tomorrow then. :p If we stopped buying games for that reason, we might as well stop buying games completely.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”