Author Topic: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion  (Read 64915 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion
But aren't the gefs against development?
Define "development". The gefs are very, very advanced in some specific areas. More so than the UEF and GTVA combined.

Hold on a sec, do they have some giant super-destroyer juggernaut that we haven't heard about yet?  :shaking:
Stupid gefs are hard enough fighting against as it is...(I blame you, Simitar!)
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

They are presumably far better and building, maintaining and living in self-sufficient space habitats than anyone else.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But aren't the gefs against development?
Define "development". The gefs are very, very advanced in some specific areas. More so than the UEF and GTVA combined.

Hold on a sec, do they have some giant super-destroyer juggernaut that we haven't heard about yet?  :shaking:
Stupid gefs are hard enough fighting against as it is...(I blame you, Simitar!)

No. The Gef have absolutely no need for something so crude.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I said very advanced in some areas. Those areas do not include military technology, the Gefs are not an army.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

I would guess stuff that has to do with Stealth, electronic hacking and EMPs and so on.

Offline crizza

Or launching a headshot asteroid at enemy ships  ;7

Offline Crybertrance

I would guess stuff that has to do with Stealth, electronic hacking and EMPs and so on.

From where did the gefs get funding and/or research for their advancement in stealth/emp tech. is beyond me. I pictured the gefs as some kind of crude piratey faction. :doubt:
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
From where did the gefs get funding and/or research for their advancement in stealth/emp tech. is beyond me. I pictured the gefs as some kind of crude piratey faction. :doubt:
Raids on poorly defended scientific stations? Or they have their own scientists and mine the crap out of some asteroids to get funding.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

The Gefs are damn good at surviving in isolated space habitats which means waste reclamation, materials recycling, and everything else needed to survive in a really small closed system, and pretty good at genetics too since IIRC Battuta's said some Gef cells are no longer quite human.

They also have gigantic Hephaestus-class foundry ships that are the best imitations of a GSV they can pull off.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wouldn't pick out stealth, EMP, or electronic warfare as areas of particular Gef sophistication. Where the Gefs excel is in living where they do.

Remember that Kostadin cell is just one (conservative) element of Gef society. They've been expanding out into the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud for decades. They have an entirely spaceborne infrastructure, with access to both the riches and dangers that implies. While their ships and habitats remain crude, they've had to explore radical technologies to survive: von Neumann assembly, cloning, genetic engineering, radical cybernetic augmentation.

The deeper Gef factions are no longer tied to Iain MacDuff's agenda. They have their own transhumanist plans. Infighting is still constant, though, and the standard of living even among the radical Gef factions is fairly miserable by in-system standards.

Offline Luis Dias

Hm. So it's a kind of a post-singularity / post-apocalyptic kind of dystopian cyberpunk society within BPverse, contrasting as hell with earth. I was aiming more for underground pirate mafias that learned how to exploit security holes in the bigger Sol economy (thus the "hacking" angle). When I mentioned "stealth" I wasn't referring to high-end technological feats, but simpler stealth techniques that were based on experience, tenacity and general cleverness.

Von Neumann' **** hints at a very possible big danger lurking in the margins of Sol, like a virus that is only contained and restrained by the sheer lack of resources / energy they have available....

I like where this is headed. Multiple vectors and strategies may well imply that at least some form of humanity will be able to survive the Shivaggedon.

If von Neumanns were practical in the FSverse don't you think one of the pre-Ancient victims of the Shivans would've tried using them?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Iain MacDuff

Related to Quartermaster Colin Macduff?

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Crybertrance

-Snip-
They also have gigantic Hephaestus-class foundry ships that are the best imitations of a GSV they can pull off.

Slightly off-topic, but what is a GSV? and where is it stated in the BP-verse about the Hephaestus class?

GSVs are a thing from Iain M. Banks' Culture series; they're massive, self-sufficient habitat/constructor ships. (The name stands for General Service Vehicle, but that's not much help.)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
and where is it stated in the BP-verse about the Hephaestus class?
Knowing about the hephaestus is one of the many privileges of lurking in the #bp channel.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Crybertrance

and where is it stated in the BP-verse about the Hephaestus class?
Knowing about the hephaestus is one of the many privileges of lurking in the #bp channel.

Damn, I missed it then...Whenever I go onto #bp, everything is as dead as a bone!

I suppose it might be based off this.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nope. Very much no.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

If von Neumanns were practical in the FSverse don't you think one of the pre-Ancient victims of the Shivans would've tried using them?

The answer to this question is much more interesting and intriguing than one might initially think. I think of Von Neumanns obviously as "living beings" that could be obeying darwinian principles and so on. In darwinian speek, what you are saying is that there are a lot of strange attractors that might be funnelling the landscape of genetic solutions towards something ultimately impractical against Shivaggedon. A lot of odd questions can arise though.

First off, is that even true? Is it true that *no* species has managed to survive against the Shivans in this way? According to FS2verse and BPverse, we have not sufficient knowledge of the galactic landscape to know the answer to this question. So, possibilities abound. It is possible that many species have survived this way. It is even possible that many of these Von Neumann species have competed against each other for their own survival. It is possible that some, a few or even a single one of such species actually dominates the galactic landscape.

Another completely different possibility is that there is very little competition between these Von Neumann life forms, since obtaining resources for their very energy-efficient economies might not actually interfere with any other Von Neumann life forms. However, in the landscape of possibilities, if enough variety is achieved, you would expect some of them being more aggressive than others.

Many have already thought about Shivans and Vishnans *as* Neumann probes, or we could even say these denominations are too simplistic to even begin to define these higher webs of complexity. Perhaps one of the first intelligent beings in the Galaxy ended up creating such probes, and when a very aggressive species emerged from darwinian pressures, they started competing with each other. One darwinian strategy that may have emerged from natural selection pressures was precisely the genocidal strategy, where a species genocides an entire living species when it begins its warfaring before a new Neumann species is created by the organics.

Think of it as "Mass Effect done right".