Author Topic: FSO Takes A Really Really Really Long Time to Start  (Read 806 times)

FSO Takes A Really Really Really Long Time to Start
Hey all. I've been playing FreeSpace Open for a year now without any problems on my windows vista, then win7 laptop, so imagine my surprise when I ran smack into the most annoying problem I've ever had when trying to run it on my new desktop. It's a Dell Inspiron 570, 64- bit Windows 7, 3 GB of RAM, AMD Athlon 2 X2 240 Processor (2.8 GHZ). I installed FSO at c:/games/freespace and am running the 5.5e launcher and the 3.6.10 executable- everything fresh from Turey's installer. So here's the problem: when I go to run the game the launcher comes up fine, but after I hit "Run" and "OK," the game does nothing for 10- 30 minutes, and then starts, usually right on top of whatever game I've given up on FSO for. I tried re-installing FS2 and FSO, to no avail. I included the patch and file the wiki said I needed, and nothing's working. I've only ever gotten one error message, and that was when I freshly installed it. It was the "IMPORTANT NOTE: There was an error while installing this section. You may need to run the Installer again in order to ensure that this section works correctly" message, and I re-downloaded and replaced all of the files indicated in the FAQ, but nothing was fixed. My computer isn't slow in general- quite the contrary, in fact. FSO is the only application that behaves like this. Please help!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:55:50 am by Rathwood »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FSO Takes A Really Really Really Long Time to Start
Have you tried using the recently released 3.6.12 RC4? Can you run a debug build and post an fs2_open.log (A guide explaining how to do this can be found among the stickied threads in this board)?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Re: FSO Takes A Really Really Really Long Time to Start
The error log is in the "C:/games/freespace2/data" folder....

I was having the same problem .... 

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70231.0

Code: [Select]
Code:
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\multi-mission-pack.vp' ...
Your multi-mission-pack.vp seems to be broken. Move it completely outside the \freespace2\ directory and the game should work. If you intend to play multiplayer at some point, try to find the file from some other source. If you aren't going to play multiplayer, you can forget the file from now on.