Author Topic: REQUEST: Film Grain command line  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: REQUEST: Film Grain command line
You people are thick.

He doesn't want to change existing missions. He wants film grain in WHATEVER he plays.

Yes, he wants it nao, and the only way to get it nao is to either edit missions or to edit the table.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Enjoy. No more additional commandlines options are going in for post processing until it is out of Experimental. Period.

Don't like that? Then help us code it so that it can be a complete feature.

This was posted on IRC (including the 'help us code it' suggestion) but didn't seem to go over well.

Offline Kolgena

I believe our requester is thinking of a very different type of film grain than exists. The games that have film grain on all the time (Mass Effect 1 and 2, Alien Swarm, Just Cause 2) look good with them. If I'm not mistaken, film grain as it is now in FSO doesn't give nearly the same effect.

But I could just be plain wrong. I've only seen screenshots of the effect.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
You people are thick.

He doesn't want to change existing missions. He wants film grain in WHATEVER he plays.

And you MUST think we are thick if you don't think we didn't get that. It still isn't going to happen, no matter how many all caps or font size increases are used.

So, if he want's flim grain, it is either a mission edit, or a script. That's it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I believe our requester is thinking of a very different type of film grain than exists. The games that have film grain on all the time (Mass Effect 1 and 2, Alien Swarm, Just Cause 2) look good with them. If I'm not mistaken, film grain as it is now in FSO doesn't give nearly the same effect.

But I could just be plain wrong. I've only seen screenshots of the effect.
Oh, I experimented with it a month and a bit ago, it looks kinda samey.

Anyway though, has the OP got the point?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One thing that I should mention is that until we get post-processing implemented correctly, nothing like this will be contemplated. Without a coder to maintain the post-processing code, there really is no point in trying to implement something like this (hence why post processing has been moved to the experimental features section).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Never once did I say I wanted it "nao" nor did I ever imply I wanted it "nao". I merely wanted it to be considered for future implementation. Instead myself and AoD received a massive amount of instant nay-saying from a bunch of nay-sayers. Quite frankly, it was a response not at all needed or called for, but it happened.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Somehow, I think you're taking this too seriously.

The only reason this isn't done is purely technical, as I said above.

Also, from a design perspective, effects like film grain should be in the hands of FREDers and scripters (and, as Zacam said, enabling those effects via LUA is trivially easy).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Never once did I say I wanted it "nao" nor did I ever imply I wanted it "nao". I merely wanted it to be considered for future implementation. Instead myself and AoD received a massive amount of instant nay-saying from a bunch of nay-sayers. Quite frankly, it was a response not at all needed or called for, but it happened.

Well, you  just have to be careful about saying that things should be easy. The fire-turret SEXP should be easy. It's not. There are many things that seem 'easy' that aren't.

Furthermore the original request (see first post) was apparently botched which didn't help matters.

I'm inclined to consider the whole thing a misunderstanding rather than anybody's fault, but you can't characterize everybody who said 'no' as a 'naysayer' - people are not going to instantly understand what you really mean. You have to explain it.

If what you're asking for are end-user postprocessing options in the future in the context of a new graphics menu, and with the understanding that they can be overwritten by the FREDder, then I'm all for it. But it was not clear that this was what you wanted, especially given the unfortunate first post.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:38:37 am by General Battuta »