Author Topic: Is FreeSpace dying? In fact, how long can it live?  (Read 15586 times)

Offline Glowhyena

• PC Gamer
    • Steam
Re: Is FreeSpace dying? In fact, how long can it live?
still love the games as play them as forever.

Hey, admins and mods... Please change my username to Glowhyena. Thank you, because my outbox is empty after I sent two different admins.

I know, I wasn't being serious, hense the smilie xP
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Roanoke

It's a small thing, and I'm in no position to change the situation, but HLP as a board just looks so dated. Especially compaired to v2 and the old campaign specific themes. (Yeah, I know they can't be swapped over but I still miss 'em).  :sigh:

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
honestly this is the best board layout i've ever used.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Kolgena

What do you mean? It looks waaay better than those invision boards that almost all other forums use.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The HLP's forum theme is keeping me here, don't change it!

I will only tolerate some minor logo change... like that one time (BTW that was a fast switch).
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The admins might swear otherwise but I think SMF is very usable.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I believe even an0n agreed that SMF is good. It's easier to get used to as compared to vbulletin.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The admins might swear otherwise but I think SMF is very usable.

SMF has a load of very useful features for the end users. It's a PITA to use as an admin.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I believe even an0n agreed that SMF is good. It's easier to get used to as compared to vbulletin.

Well, pffft, if an0n said it, we better get this **** into high gear.

Kara, I'm expecting results.

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
I see the future of the Freespace Community being less about Freespace the game and more about the FSO Engine. Look at all the total conversion mods in the works.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I see the future of the Freespace Community being less about Freespace the game and more about the FSO Engine. Look at all the total conversion mods in the works.

I'm not really convinced of that. Bablyon Project is the only TC that has produced noteworthy campaigns from its own fans and even then not so notworthy as to match up to things like Shrouding the Light or Transcend.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I'm not really convinced of that. Bablyon Project is the only TC that has produced noteworthy campaigns from its own fans and even then not so notworthy as to match up to things like Shrouding the Light or Transcend.

and yet we have Stellar Assault well on the way, FotG is preparing some kick ass models, WoD is imminent and WCS is preparing their first full campaign, they have already released a mini campaign and there are already fan campaigns made for it.

edit:

not to mention all the FS mods that use FSO features
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:48:54 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
and yet we have Stellar Assault well on the way, FotG is preparing some kick ass models, WoD is imminent and WCS is preparing their first full campaign, they have already released a mini campaign and there are already fan campaigns made for it.

There was a BtRL minicampaign too, and like the WCS ones it more or less surfaced and submerged directly.

I remain unconvinced that any of the TCs will produce a work of comparable complexity and quality to the better FS campaigns outside their own Main Campaign. We've had years of TBP campaigns to prove the point.

edit:

not to mention all the FS mods that use FSO features

Uh, that's not terribly relevant to the discussion since I already named several of those, so apparently I'm including them with regular FS...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
This is the craziest time anyone could choose to say Freespace was dying. I've only been following HLP sporadically through the years until recently, and from an outsider's perspective, the last 10 years seem to have been practice for you guys and now you're the masters. Vassago's Dirge, WiH, FSPort 3.2, the new mediavps, it's like generation two of the FS modding community. I don't wish to disrespect the work you guys did over the years in calling it 'practice' because some incredible stuff has been created. I hope you get what I mean. But to say Freespace is dying at this moment is nuts.
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Back on the subject brought up by the OP:

I fully disagree, because of all the things others have already said -- it's very active here, development continues to improve, and really, can you mention a space game better than FS2, let alone to mod? Nope.

Also, forum activity doesn't equal the full 100%. For instance, I don't visit here often, but i'm still at work on my FS2 projects here actively.

Thing is, as long as there wont be a FS3 with full FRED3 functionality, I doubt FS2 will die at all for at least another decade. Ask again in 2020. ^^

- JC
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
One other thing to note is that HLP is not the only FreeSpace community in existence. There are other FreeSpace communities as well, such as parts of SectorGame and a certain Polish(?) forum. And then there's the Facebook group, which I spam links to here on a regular basis.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
FREESPACE(tm) is ETERNAL.

Saying otherwise is HERESY! And you all know what we do with heretics!

Beware citizens, and keep your eyes open for heresy!

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Apparently not. After playing Blue Planet on the new graphics and shiny stuff, it seems modding is only getting better, hats off to the people in the upgrade project, you really impressed me on my return  :lol:.

The community is as always eager to brand heratics, like the way kara did to me lol but I got over it... hope he doesn't read this and get offended. However I'm confident it will survive especially with all these (ok there arn't that many but still) great projects in the works.

It up to debate if the FRANCHISE itself is still alive comercially, but last I emailed Interplay, they are still 'discussing and planning' a fs3. And GoG picking it up seems to be either a last desperate money making attempt or generating hype for a new game. One can only speculate.

Now I have a question of my own. How is multiplayer? Is it still alive? I'd really like to play some bombing runs with someone...

WAIT why am I here? OP is apparently LONG gone.

....bombing runs :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."