Author Topic: Tstrings.tbl generator.  (Read 9166 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Tstrings.tbl generator.

Thanks for the link!

Well, if/when wxFred starts getting off the ground, actually including this capability into it (via the Campaign Editor, maybe?) might not be a half-bad idea. We already do have a fair number of externalized tools though that building a common framework to run them all in would be nice in the meantime. (This, the ModPack Checker that FSF wrote, PCS2, Mjn's ANI Tools, Contemplates (interface Generator) my proposed HUD builder, etc).

So, maybe a nice all-in-one wrapper for a Community ToolKit/Toolbox/whateveryouwanttocallit.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline m!m

I'm working on some kind of modding IDE which should contain all sorts of modding tools from a table editor to a mod exporter which would package the files inside a VP. I already got a working EFF viewer/editor and an ANI viewer. I'd also like to integrate a visual HUD_gauges.tbl editor where you could create a custom  HUD layout by using drag-and-drop and then export it to the desired resolutions.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
2) An integral part of FRED. - This would be a lot more complicated. It would allow the user to add new messages or remove old ones and have the tables automatically updated to feature them.
 On the other hand while the stand alone is something that is only run a few times during the dev cycle this feature would run constantly and therefore has much more of a chance of causing problems when different developers have different versions of the tables or missions.

That's the reason why I wouldn't want to see it in wxFRED. It makes more sense as a standalone or at least something you must explicitly choose to run from FRED.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
A binary that wxFRED can call, sort of how VPView32 can call other things such as  TblView?

Offline m!m

Sorry for the necro post but I wanted to make this available to anyone who could need this tool.
I created a github repository for this project here: https://github.com/asarium/TStringGenerator
The repository contains the source code and I also uploaded binary packages.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm, this is neat.. I'll have to try it out.

I'm working on some kind of modding IDE which should contain all sorts of modding tools from a table editor to a mod exporter which would package the files inside a VP. I already got a working EFF viewer/editor and an ANI viewer. I'd also like to integrate a visual HUD_gauges.tbl editor where you could create a custom  HUD layout by using drag-and-drop and then export it to the desired resolutions.

EFF Viewer/editor? Really? I would like that if it exists.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline m!m

I actually have an application that is capable of reading and displaying EFFs and ANIs but it is unpolished, full of bugs and pretty much unusable right now.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I actually have an application that is capable of reading and displaying EFFs and ANIs but it is unpolished, full of bugs and pretty much unusable right now.

:(

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That's why apng will be awesome.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's why apng will be awesome.

Quoted for truth. Cannot wait for that.

Offline Yarn

I found a minor bug in TStringGenerator: the first XSTR structure that the program finds becomes the last tstrings.tbl entry for some reason. This happens in both versions 1.0 and 1.1.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline m!m

Do you have a mod where this happens? I could not reproduce this here but I may be  simply lacking example data.

Offline Yarn

Do you have a mod where this happens? I could not reproduce this here but I may be  simply lacking example data.
Yes. It happens with the attached file (which is FSPort's fs1_tech-wep.tbm with all index numbers changed to -1) if translated by itself and no tstrings.tbl file exists.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline m!m

Ok, I can reproduce the bug and also have found the cause of it. I documented it in a github issue here: https://github.com/asarium/TStringGenerator/issues/1

I will however wait until I have finished the my current refactoring of the code as I will not change anything in the current code base which is simply horrible :nono:

Offline m!m

Ok everything is done I just pushed version 2.0 to github and also added binary distributions. Please add bugs you find to the github issue tracker, thank you.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is there a readme or something? I assumed I could place it in the mod folder and run the jar.. but no such luck.

Offline m!m

You have to execute one of the scripts in the bin folder with the -r or -root option to specify the mod folder:
Code: (Example) [Select]
> bin/tstrings -r "/path/to/your/mod/root"