Author Topic: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon  (Read 23715 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Well oddly it's not set in the usual alternate earth AC universe but still...

Hot Damn
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
I thought Mobius would've been the first to post this. . . . I've followed a little bit of it.
Gonna enjoy it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Not coming to PC. :(

oh wow! you just made my day. I've been left wanting ever since I finished AC6. I recently replayed some of AC5, that was epic. And there's a PS3 version too. nice
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoiler:
Go dance with the angels!
This looks really cool actually. I loved Ace combat 6, more so than HAWK.

Ya know, this is the only reason I bought a 360, for games like these.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
A resounding meh.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A resounding meh.

Shut yo mouth willis.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mxlm

Assault Horizon?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I see they did something smart and made it on PS3 also.
Seriously, what the **** was up with only making AC6 for XBox360? How retarded can you be? Ace Combat was Playstation exclusive since Ace-****ing-Combat 1 (Air Combat in the U.S.).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

aren't they all just console?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Seriously, what the **** was up with only making AC6 for XBox360? How retarded can you be? Ace Combat was Playstation exclusive since Ace-****ing-Combat 1 (Air Combat in the U.S.).
I sense MS threw money at them and/or developing on the ps3 with xbox or better performance may be too hard.
not sure about all those fancy camera tricks and manoeuvres, thing about AC6 that makes it better than hawkz was that it was a lot freer flying, or, if you will,
Spoiler:
dancing with the angels
if that flip stuff and slow-mo is just high-g flip, then cool, maybe.
probably be fun game, but between GT:5, TDU:2, MoH, reach, CoD, there are a lot of games coming.
also, did i see an apache do a barrel roll in the trailer?
can they do that?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I sense MS threw money at them and/or developing on the ps3 with xbox or better performance may be too hard.
not sure about all those fancy camera tricks and manoeuvres, thing about AC6 that makes it better than hawkz was that it was a lot freer flying, or, if you will,
Spoiler:
dancing with the angels
if that flip stuff and slow-mo is just high-g flip, then cool, maybe.
probably be fun game, but between GT:5, TDU:2, MoH, reach, CoD, there are a lot of games coming.
also, did i see an apache do a barrel roll in the trailer?
can they do that?

They have a surprising amount of tricks for a flying tank...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
They damned well better not have anything even remotely similar to the HAWX control scheme. Looking at the trailer, I'm feeling uneasy.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
They damned well better not have anything even remotely similar to the HAWX control scheme. Looking at the trailer, I'm feeling uneasy.

I can't imagine they would, the scheme they had in Fires of Liberation was pretty damn perfect, I was pretty frustrated when I played IL2 BoP since their scheme was less intuitive and effective in my opinion.  If in the new Ace Combat I can't just play the whole thing from the cockpit I'll be bull****.  The only thing I think they might have added was that insta acrobatic maneuver gimmick they used in the Sky Crawlers Wii project.  I assume thats why the Y button prompt keeps appearing in the trailer.  I never played the Sky Crawlers game but from what I read basically your kills fill a meter to allow you to insta hit a maneuver like Pugachev's Cobra and wind up on an enemy's six.  Since I didn't play it I can't comment on how useful/enjoyable it is, but I assume it's the only real change they would make to this game from the previous version's controls.  I'd hope to god they wouldn't be looking at something as inferior as HAWX for ideas.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I was pretty frustrated when I played IL2 BoP since their scheme was less intuitive and effective in my opinion.
Well, that's what happens when you put something originally on PC on console. :doubt:
IL-2 on PC = One of the most realistic combat flight simulators ever.
IL-2 on console = What the **** is wrong with you Ubisoft?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I was pretty frustrated when I played IL2 BoP since their scheme was less intuitive and effective in my opinion.
Well, that's what happens when you put something originally on PC on console. :doubt:
IL-2 on PC = One of the most realistic combat flight simulators ever.
IL-2 on console = What the **** is wrong with you Ubisoft?

True enough, I was hoping for Ace Combat with props rather then IL-2 on the console to be honest, and not that its really that bad but its not quite as good as I hoping.  When I want to play a honest to god simulator its going to be PC.

Actually I really wish Team Aces would go retro and make an Ace Combat set with Korea or Vietnam era aircraft. I'd like to rock the F-86, Mig-15, F-8 or Mig-21 rather than another iteration of modern day aircraft.

The only thing I think they might have added was that insta acrobatic maneuver gimmick they used in the Sky Crawlers Wii project.  I assume thats why the Y button prompt keeps appearing in the trailer.  I never played the Sky Crawlers game but from what I read basically your kills fill a meter to allow you to insta hit a maneuver like Pugachev's Cobra and wind up on an enemy's six. 

Nearly right.  The 'tactical manoeuvre' gauge is filled up  by keeping your target within a certain distance from your plane.  It charges up to 3 levels with each level granting a better firing position at the end of the sequence.  Against the grunts this is too easy to pull off Lv 3's but against the aces you will be lucky to get the odd Lv2 and Lv1's are only worth doing to keep yourself out of their sights.  Fun game, bets played with a pad IMO.  There are no lock on missiles in the game to it is balanced out a little by the addition of varying amounts of homing on the main gun.

Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why don't we have a thread about Joint Assault? :nervous:

I am filled with skepticism, but I hope it's only me. The strangereal world worked admirably and perhaps it was one of the reasons why the arcade style of AC has been widely accepted all these years. Two ACs taking place in the real world? They may be interesting, but I believe their arcadeish settings would somehow become odd.

What's wrong with the creators of the series? There are many countries in the strangereal world we've never seen in combat, and we also need a remake of the JP version of AC3. StarSlayer's suggestion of an AC using Korean/Vietnam War era fighters is interesting as well, but very unlikely to become a reality. I hope JA and AH are experiments, and AC7 (if they will ever make one) will take place in the strangereal world. I also hope they won't turn the player character into a super hero.

In AC1:
- We had many pilots.
- Missiles were hard to evade and dogfights were quite interesting. It took time to eliminate each enemy, and no superweapons were available.

In AC2:
- Rhere was a character (Scarface 1), but his role was kept to acceptable levels.
- Without considering the XFA-27 "Game", which could launch 4 missiles per time, all other planes ensured balanced gameplay. Not as balanced as the one seen in AC1, but still nice.

In AC3:
- We played as the Nemo AI. Original, effective, justified the overkills and what happened to Nemo at the end of the story was also well thought.
- The missiles were quite amazing thanks to their capacity to predict their target's position and deflect, and action was quite balanced. The best way to evade them was waiting and break at the very end, when you could see the missiles on the screen and hear their flyby sound. Good times. Speaking of the rest, there were many superweapons, but most kills were very well deserved.

In AC4:
- We have the Mobius 1 Vs. Yellow 13 thing, which was handled quite well. Things tended to be quite exaggerated near the end, though.
- Things have begun to screw up here. Loads of missiles launched from safe distance could potentially ensure 4 kills at once. The quick maneuver missile was also quite unbalanced, especially in multiplayer. Standard enemy missiles were still quite difficult to evade in certain scenarios. Notably, you could shoot down most enemy fighters by simply closing in at high speed on their front and launch a couple of missiles when possible... interesting at the beginning, but tends to become boring (especially when you have to deal with it in AC5 and ACZ, as well).  :ick:

In AC5:
- Argh... the way the Wardog/Razgriz guys were considered got me perplexed after a while.
- Same errors of AC4 in terms of balance, which has even got worse. Enemy missiles became rockets capable of "some" maneuvering. Then, we had the FALKEN (first seen in AC2).  :rolleyes:

In ACA:
- Nothing to say. lol.

In ACZ:
- No comment. Cipher/Demon Lord has become the most pimped AC player character ever. I didn't really like what NAMCO Bandai did there.
- Missiles have become more rocket-like than ever. At high speed, you can pretty much ignore those launched against you. Also, swarm missiles made the 4-easy-kills-per-time thingie even easier to do. Excellent game under many points of view, but with a seriously compromised balance.

In ACX:
- We had Gryphus 1/The Southern Cross, whose role has been significantly emphasized but not as heavily as we have seen in AC5 and ACZ.
- Finally, no more balance oddities! The game was challenging, especially at higher difficulties, and enemy missiles were never to be underestimated. Enemies were quite good at evading missiles, and their maneuvers were kind of impressive. In fact, ACX is the AC I played the most (about 250 hours reported on my saved data) and it took more time than usual to get acquainted with the highest difficulty level (even now, it's pretty much the only AC in which I start a mission and don't know for sure if I will complete it). I wish all ACs had ACX's physics and missiles.   :D

I haven't played AC6, but as far as I know Garuda 1 isn't any different from the others. From what I have seen and been told, it's more akin to ACZ than ACX and, IMHO, this is a very bad thing. I am waiting for JA (which I'll get in a few days) and AH, hoping that player characters will be... normal in these games.

You know, at some point people begin to be sick of certain styles. I hope a) we won't have any superheroes and b) dogfights will be challenging and balanced as they were in the first ACs plus ACX.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
basically your kills fill a meter to allow you to insta hit a maneuver like Pugachev's Cobra and wind up on an enemy's six.

blegh  :ick:

Offline RVR72G

This.

And I wonder why there's so many people relate this game with Modern Warfare only because of the helo-gunnery portions.
http://acecombatskies.com/index.php?showtopic=25240&pid=623486&st=380&#entry623486

For the release date, it's 2/1/2011