What is your opinion on beam fade?

I detest the effect
55 (57.3%)
I like the effect
13 (13.5%)
I have no strong feelings
28 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Beam fade poll  (Read 25082 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Beam fade breaks missions. Nobody else has a problem with this?

I know that Fury doesn't believe the MVPs should support mods, but changing a weapon's effective range is huge. The MVPs could not get away with that on something like the Harpoon or Treb. Why can they do it with beams?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah.. I'm not a fan of breaking missions.. nor the effect...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Beam fade breaks missions. Nobody else has a problem with this?

This is actually my main problem with it.  It didn't matter in the context of Blue Planet, but now that this is in mediavp territory, it's a serious issue.

The MVPs could not get away with that on something like the Harpoon or Treb. Why can they do it with beams?

Supposedly because beams have a targeting range that is much lower than 30km.  It still breaks a lot of fire-beam sexps and tag scenarios though.

If a solution can be implemented (obviously via code changes) which can cause the beams to fade without breaking balance, then maybe this is acceptable (though then you'd have the problem of beams damaging things beyond where they disappear).  But for now, these types of things should probably stay how they are in retail.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm with the General on this one.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
MVP's have not changed beams targeting range at all. Hence it doesn't affect retail missions. If some mod missions have just so happened to use fire-beam-sexp to use a beam past its targeting range, is something I don't really think should be of any concern to MVP's. How much FSU is willing to bother themselves over trivial concerns like that, is up to them. But I think it's silly.

Mods on the other hand can easily get around it by extending beam range across the board if they want to, create custom beam weapon entry for the occasion or just keep using .10's.

Not gonna bother with this further though, what FSU does with beams is their business.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
what FSU does with beams is their business.

why the FSU is under the community projects category, again?

EDIT: Maybe I'm just an absolute moron, but I'd hope that FSU would kind of... not disregard users.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:16:21 pm by thesizzler »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To summarize: Fury says **** you community! :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
what disturbs me more than the beams is the flashy deaths on almost everything that blows up with a blast warning.

and i find it utterly unneccesary in the MVP's. BP is okay, but keep fun mod stuff out of MVP's.

(no offense to anyone...)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Solatar

So mods that make creative use of RETAIL data (fire-beam sexps and tag scenarios) get pushed to the side because they don't use that data in the way that V did?  Making every MOD compatible with mediavps could get tough, but a mission made with retail data should be compatible.  Why should I have to distribute a campaign as a mod folder when it SHOULD work with just normal, upgraded Freespace 2?

I wouldn't have bothered posting, but I feel like I'm seeing the beginnings of a very insular FSU Project in some comments here.  I know for purely logistics reasons - so there aren't too many chiefs and no Indians - much of it has to be done behind closed doors, but completely disregarding community content goes against everything that has made this community last for so long.

Offline Cyker

30K beams looks a bit silly, but the beam fade looks much worse.

Most of the time I don't normally notice the beam fade (Usually because I'm trying not to die :lol:), but when I do it just looks horrible :(

I do hate the bomb flash, but I hate all the white-out effects (e.g. looking at a tiny distant sun and *BLINDED*)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I have to agree with Solatar. Anything in MVPs that would break a mission that is completely constructed from retail components does not belong.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I fully agree with Solatar and NGTM-1R on this issue.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Now that the potential mission-breaking behavior has been pointed out, I have to agree that having those fading beams without a better control of the fade is a bad idea, at least in the MVPs. Not letting ourselves get stopped by constant backward compatibility is good, but that feature seems to have too much of mission breaking potential to be left as-is.

But I still stand on my point that beams MUST fade, and I have yet to read a single argument strong enough to even begin of convincing me of the contrary. SCP guys just have to find a way to have this feature working alongside an out-of-range fire-beam sexp... somehow.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras