Hosted Projects - Standalone > FringeSpace

FringeSpace Project General Info

(1/3) > >>

JGZinv:
-= Purpose =-

This project is designed to duplicate, as closely as possible, the "feel" of Tachyon: The Fringe,
to the Freespace 2 SCP game engine.

Tachyon was always plagued by bugs, hacking, and a lack of updates. This mod is an attempt to
rectify most of the egregious problems, and to update the playing experience for Tachyon fans.
FringeSpace is not a clone of Tachyon: The Fringe. It is not officially licensed. It is a fan-made total
conversion of the gameplay of T:TF, using the ship and gameplay concepts from T:TF.

As the project gains momentum, we'll be putting more information up, and sharing our progress
with you. Should you wish to help, please check the Help Wanted section, and we'll consider your
application carefully.

-= Common Questions =-

When will it be done?

Soon™  ;)

How long has this project been around?

Well JGZ started talking to RK around late August 2006, the FS site was started
Sept 25, 2006, so somewhere in there you could say we began this journey.

Tachyon had all sorts of hacks - how will you prevent it here?

The server and client will have to be using the same version, or will not be allowed to enter a
server. File checking will be done upon all clients trying to enter the server.

Can I request a ship?

Not currently. While we do love to hear ideas from our fellow fans, there's a large amount
of work just for the basics of gameplay and we already plan on importing over 30 in the first release!

Our goal is to import all fighter-class ships for the initial release. This includes all the fighters
seen in the Single Player game. A later release is planned, which will add capital ships and
bases to the mix.

Can I send you my Single Player or Multiplayer idea?

We will have a forum dedicated to just that - keep an eye here for further information. Keep in
mind, though, that we're not planning on a single player campaign at this time.

What!?! No single player campaign?

While a campaign plot been discussed at great length, the bottom line is that a single player set of missions
takes a great deal of resources for something that gets old very quickly. Tachyon has survived for over
10 years (and as of this writing still going) due to it's multiplayer. It's only right in our minds to focus on
that end of things first. A very large amount of the resources needed for multiplayer, can also be used for
single player as well, so it's not like we're wasting our time.

How many ships or bases will you be importing?

A bunch. There's at least 18 capital ships and a greater number of bases.

All of the fighter-class ships are planned for the initial public release. Capital ships and bases will be
included in phase 2.

If I want to help, who do I contact?

See the Help Wanted thread in our section here.
Otherwise, RazorsKiss or JGZinv should be able to help you.

If someone asks me about this mod, or project, what should I tell them?

We're planning o­n setting up a media package in the future to enable you to help spread the word.
In the meantime, tell them this:

"FringeSpace will update and enhance Tachyon: The Fringe with modern graphics, a flight model
that simulates that of TTF, and rid us, o­nce and for all, of the egregious bugs and hacking that
always plagued Tachyon. If you have skills of some kind, they're always open to volunteers."

What programs are you using?

Mostly Photoshop (various versions), 3DS/Audodesk Max 2009 or similar,
Frooty Loops,  PCS2, various freeware.

What will be the minimal software/hardware system configuration required ?

FS2_Open MINIMUM Requirements:

Pentium 733Mhz or Athlon equivalent

128MB RAM

HT&L Graphics card with 32 Meg

300MB Hard Drive Space

8X or faster CD-ROM Drive

Direct Sound compliant sound card

100% Microsoft-compatible mouse

Recommended:

1GHZ or better processor

512 MB RAM

HT&L Graphics card with 64 Meg

EAX compatible sound card

16x or better CD-ROM

Joystick recommended

700MB HD space

What will be the major improvements switching to this game engine?

1. Graphics!

At least OpenGL 2.x equivalence, and all the bells and whistles accompanying it.

2. Code

FS2 has a well-established modding community, open-source code, tons of documentation,
and built-in mapping/modding tools - did I mention tons of documentation?

3. No more hacking problems

The client will have to have a certain version, and certain files in order to play on the server.

4. Moddability

Something you can build upon to create and play in. Tachyon was quite locked down and unflexible.

Aardwolf:
Uh... does "DX8 equivalence" include OpenGL 3.0, or is that somewhat out of date?

JGZinv:
A little bit out of date, figuring it was wrote in 06.

I did update parts of the above, but wasn't sure what to really say there.
Suppose it should be at least OpenGL 2... although at the time we were trying to
inform people based on what they knew... and Tachyon was DX6 originally.

I'm not sure exactly when FS will release, so to say that by then the OpenGL 3 improvements
will be made to FS2O... seems presumptuous.

Aardwolf:
Oh, I was thinking of shader model 3.0. GL 2.0, isn't it?

JGZinv:
Currently we're on Open GL 2.x far as I know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version