Author Topic: Esarai's Fleetpack - New Content 06-13-2011  (Read 81936 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Esarai's Fleetpack (Emperor Flagship and Phoenix Multirole Frigate)
It appears to be fairly good but my critique side of me is dying to scream out. No offenses but I personally believe critique is the path to a better tomorrow and improvement in the long run  :D.

The efficient use of textures certainly is admirable but the UV map on EFM2_1 does not take advantage of every eekling of space  :wtf:. Meaning you wasted texture space that could increase texture resolution. I have learned that every little bit of space counts and every bit of space used means more pixels for us to see and enjoy  :eek2:.

The UV space on 2 is a lot better except that the space for the engines is god frighteningly huge :blah:. Given the size of thruster glows I've seen the resolution would be clouded by said glows. You could save tons more space for more visible parts of the ship by squeezing that engine section down to size and expanding the others.

Additionally the bevels in the hull appear to be embossed. Meaning the diffuse has highlight shading on it. I recommend you scrap that except for a non normal map version. This is because diffuse shading could conflict with normal map shading, creating odd visual effects. I recommend you create a layer made of only lines and create a blurred version above it or use photoshop's layer effects without the highlighting. It will create the illusion of an overcast bevel on all sides. This way when the normal map lighting hits it, it will not conflict with the diffuse map and will work on all angles and not just a specific few.

These are just some suggestions I have learned over the years both personally, from others, and college. You obviously don't have to listen to me but hey, have my two pennies  :D.

normal mapping has certainly increased the complexity of uv mapping. you cant reuse hardly anything. you have to leave about 10 pixels of space between sections (depends really on how you create your normal maps). you cant be as efficient as you used to be. on the other side of it map size has increased by an order of magnitude since the good ol days. of course your technique need not be perfect if this is what the result is.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft

2048:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0vw3yn1p5qddm3m Dabger this one's normal maps are broke.  Will fix soon.
4096:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kebs90z7ypojw9y
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:09:04 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Well it is a fairly sensible argument. I noticed on the first texture that there was a great deal of space that could be used to increase the amount of viewable space. And as you have said, there are some requirements for normal maps but given the huge texture sizes we have now making a more efficient UV layout would fix a lot of things. Still the sheer resolution covers things up fairly well.

On the flip side, Normal mapping has made some texturing methods simpler now that highlights and shadows are done dynamically.

I'd much rather make a contribution to the Argos Naval Yards for a re-design of your super-destroyer, especially since there's new reference material in the form of the SFLv Leviathan. :p

Hehe well I am a changed modder now however  :D, I'm more finicky about directly copying stuff. Still.... those Morrigi ships are pretty.... neat... *twitches*
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Congrats on releasing it Esarai. :)

Does it include those neat beams I made for it?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I suggest rolling all your release posts into a single fleetpack post. I can handle the merge if you'd like.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm definately getting this gem.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Turret27's normal is pointing the wrong way.
I've said it on IRC, but I'll say it again here so people who have downloaded it already can fix it themselves :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you do make some good points though, the point about baked in shadow and highlights, which many of my textures make use of (many were made before i even heard of normal mapping). i figure it would be easier to just redo the maps than it would be to try to fix them. problem with nukemod is that simply bringing it up to a modern standard is a daunting process because theres about 20 ships that need new models textures or both.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Can you make a blue version of this, Esarai?
It'd fit better with Emperor, Solaris, Horizon and Amaterasu.

I've been redoing some of my own stuff as well and it is taking a darned long time. I bake shadows as well but recently, having been reaquainted with a certain awesome normal map generator, I can generate an additional occlusion based off of the normal map details. It pops out the details even more.  :D
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
so people who have downloaded it already can fix it themselves :P
If the people that download it know how to fix it. :P

Oh that normal.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:34:55 am by Commander Zane »

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
That thing is so pretty it makes all others look like garbage scows.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What's with the mini triangles all around the ship ( in mid space ) that I can see in PCS2?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Now I'm curious, are the normal maps enabled on those screens?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They seem to be.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

I'm asking since when I look at it on the test missions (Launch tube doors opening for fighters, ****ING GODLY), the normals are hella' extreme.
Should probably change my settings.

I love the missile spam.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Thanks all!

Hey Battuta, I bet combining threads would be a good idea, so let's go ahead and do that.  I'll edit first post on them so all ships are available and no posthunting ensues.

ShadowGorrath, the triangles are a sneaky way to get PCS2 to size the bounding box appropriately.  As you can see, detail0 has no geometry that extends beyond the main weapons.  This causes the bounding box to be to small, and collision detection works on half the barrels.  Those triangles make the bounding box large enough to accomodate all turret weapons, and are set invisible no collide so they won't randomly whack fighters around.

Woah monsieur Zane, how did you ever get a hold of those normal maps?  Those are from the alpha version, and have been replaced.

<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I got them from the link on the release thread, before it was merged (Just literally now).

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'll make an update to the pof (putting in the right maps and fixing the turret normal) and upload it to FSmods.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't forget to fix MP turrets firing points (they're a bit off barrel).
Also, I think that you should start a new thread with all your ships, Esarai (I've just uploaded Ioa to FSMods, so you may want to include that too).