Author Topic: RELEASE: The Great War - Vasudan Imperium DEMO  (Read 92632 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: The Great War - Vasudan Imperium DEMO
Another one I need to play when I get my mobo back!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goob, if you had played the campaign, you would know that your wingmates are not Alpha through Epsilon. :(
I did play the campaign! :(  Remember all those comments I sent to you about it?

You'll notice I didn't say in my last post that Alpha-Epsilon were used in VI.  Rather, I went through the messages.tbl recently to enumerate the lines Volition didn't have Vasudan voices for, and the omission of Alpha-Epsilon stood out the strongest to me.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
It is unfortunate that  :v: did not have all of the proper lines for Vasudan pilots in the game. However there is nothing really we can do about it for the moment unless somebody wants to record all of the dialog from scratch. With no voice acting in VI the fact that the occasional Terran pilot shows up to say "Watch your six pilot!" does not tear me away from the game at all.

I don't think :v: had it in mind that players might create a campaign where you were actually a Vasudan, not a Terran flying Vasudan craft.

I don't mean to sound rude, but at the moment I think this thread should be used for comments/suggestions about VI and leave these sort of problems where they belong (The FreeSpace Port Upgrade perhaps?).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:33:49 pm by Redstreblo »
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right, suggestions.

This planet has some severely ugly jpg-style compression artefacts.

I also note that some of those background planets seem to be overstretched; reducing their in-game size might help.

Second issue is that I sort of miss the message beep sound. Without it, I am constantly diverting my attention between flying and looking at the message bar, just to see if there's a new message.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We're looking into getting a proper skybox made for Vasuda Prime, which would solve both those problems. None of us are very good at making either planets or skyboxes, though, so we're kind of stuck unless we get more help.

And as far as the message beeps go, we did recommend the use of Text-To-Speech.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Enjoying playing this campaign so far but I have a little problem : my wingmen don't respond to the order of departure i give them after they destroy the second freighter in the second advanced training mission.  :confused:

But I can skip it  :D

Anyway, good work  :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
This is very good! Remains faithful to the FS1 storyline and feel, and takes advantage of great opportunities to put in Vasudan parts/versions of existing missions. The new missions are good too. The in-game cutscene in the last mission is brilliant.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Enjoying playing this campaign so far but I have a little problem : my wingmen don't respond to the order of departure i give them after they destroy the second freighter in the second advanced training mission.  :confused:

They should depart to the Pinnacle's docking bay. Just watch them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just finished and I liked it very much...  :yes:  :yes: ... looking foward to the complete campaign

Like said before it's true to the original FreeSpace campaign and does a great deal in tranfering a new perspective...

ps. Thanks for the Rain On Ribos 4 references in "Castles on the Sand" btw RoR will return rebalanced and "remastered" next year (I hope)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:15:21 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Solatar

Great Campaign so far.  It took me awhile to get used to fighting with the VLL-9, but those Terrans died well enough.

It does kind of hi-light how useful one or two more Vasudan specific weapons might be.  The Fang, Havoc, and Barracuda all fill nice gaps.  I think a slightly improved VLL-9 (just making it a bit closer in behavior to the ML-16) and a dedicated Vasudan MX-50 might be useful. 

As an additional aside, however, I LOVE the continuity in the new interface art for the VLL-9, Fang, etc. I know it's in the Port, not just this campaign, but it shows an attention to detail that I admire.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
It felt sooo damn weird every time I killed Alpha 1. I felt like I was violating a sacred law or something. That's the only thing that felt off about this campaign. Everything else was awesome!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Agusfri

They are using Music from "Shadow of the Colossus" another great game. Great Demo i`m waiting for the final release  .

Offline Jessnec

Very Interesting Campain! look good!   :)
Excuse by my English :P

Offline PeterX

• Peter
It´s a Vasudan story about the great war....  Any time after anybody will make the Shivan story of that?
Peter :yes:
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It´s a Vasudan story about the great war....  Any time after anybody will make the Shivan story of that?
Peter :yes:

Only with an interpretation... and the shivan "society" would just feel weird. Of course the same thing is for the Vasudans but there you know lots of things about their society :)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Are the afterburners meant to be inoperative?  It feels weird not to have afterburners.

Woops.   My Bad.  NEVERMIND.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:59:31 pm by MaxFreeSpace »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Any time after anybody will make the Shivan story of that?

I think most people are of the opinion by now that answering any of the Shivan questions really damages them as storytelling tools.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Just grabbed this and started playing.  I've gotten up to the mission "Ruins", where I found a major problem.  I click the "Commit" button in the briefing...Then die.  Instantly.  I keep getting hit by the same piece of destroyer-sized debris.  It seems to start in the same location that you warp in at.  I had to restart the mission at least a dozen times before the debris was far enough away that I could evade without going faster than 40m/s.  

Also, and this one isn't a showstopper, but it is noticeable.  In the second set of training missions, the instructor tells you to destroy the target ship's engines, but the directive window says destroy the weapons.  The target ship has no weapons subsystem.

Other than that, when I realized that the last mission was the attack on Tombaugh station...That was pure joy.  When the Lucifer arrives and starts launching fighters...My exact words were, "Oh my God..."
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
Just grabbed this and started playing.  I've gotten up to the mission "Ruins", where I found a major problem.  I click the "Commit" button in the briefing...Then die.  Instantly.  I keep getting hit by the same piece of destroyer-sized debris.  It seems to start in the same location that you warp in at.  I had to restart the mission at least a dozen times before the debris was far enough away that I could evade without going faster than 40m/s.  

In the many play-tests we did on this mission this has not happened to me, even once. But because the debris field is randomly generated, I suppose this is a very real possibility. I will look into this and try to make sure that if this happens, you will not get damaged by it.

Also, and this one isn't a showstopper, but it is noticeable.  In the second set of training missions, the instructor tells you to destroy the target ship's engines, but the directive window says destroy the weapons.  The target ship has no weapons subsystem.

Hmm, we had noticed this bug while testing and I thought we had fixed this. I will change the directive.

Thank you for pointing out these bugs.

Other than that, when I realized that the last mission was the attack on Tombaugh station...That was pure joy.  When the Lucifer arrives and starts launching fighters...My exact words were, "Oh my God..."

Glad to see we caused a player to experience pure joy and genuine fear.  ;) There will be more excitement and surprises like this later in the campaign.  ;7
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

I'm still in the process of playing through the demo.  I have however come across two bugs/glitches.  The first involves the mission where you are ordered to capture the Plato.  Once the Plato is destroyed you are ordered to disable its escape pod.  Only problem is I can't select any of the subsystems on the pod.  I got around this by ordering one of my wingmen to disable the pod. 

The second bug/glitch is hard to describe.  When it shows my fighter being destroyed the game goes into slow motion.  Once the fighter is in pieces the game returns to normal speed.  I have seen this happen in several missions.

I hope this information helps.