Author Topic: Duke nuke'd ze voor eeuwig. Sucks. (Or I just don't get it)  (Read 10410 times)

Offline Mika

Re: Duke nuke'd ze voor eeuwig. Sucks. (Or I just don't get it)
I actually think regenerative health is generally a great thing. It makes more sense than suffering multiple bullet wounds and then magically healing them, and when you have a narrative device like recharging energy shields that justifies it, I'm cool with it. But I'm tired of the 'red ring around vision, heavy breathing' approach to health, and I'm tired of characters who have like 10 HP (looking at you Call of Duty). And unlimited sprint would be better.

This. If health magically appears again, it's important to have a reason for that. I don't mind weak characters if game play works with it. My CoD experience would have been considerable better had they kept the realistic line up till the end. This especially means a lot work to the sound department, as it does to the map design and bullet simulation. Not going to happen any time soon I guess. The other approach to FPSs is to do something ridiculously awesome, like carrying two 1500s cannons on both arms AKA Serious Sam and just keep making it more awesome. In a kind of way that you are left thinking "They can't possibly do that!" or "Oh no, they are not going to get away with that!". And they do. Continuously.

I liked Duke's one-liners, I laughed hard when I hit an alien bastard with an RPG and Duke spews out something like "Eat **** and die!". Saved me from the effort! Or the end of the episode Birth in Atomic Edition. "It's time to abort your whole friggin' species!"  :lol:

I can't believe they actually managed to put it there without any complaints.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Halo actually does have medkits. I'm betting the recharging health mechanic dates back to when it was a PC/Mac title anyway.

:lol: Yes I never played Halo but I was sure it started this. Weird. This seems an interesting topic to research; who did first regenerative health and why?

Well Halo DID have regenerating health, it just also had medkits. Your shields would regenerate but your health (under the shields) wouldn't in. In Halo 2 and 3, you have separate shield and health, but they both regenerate (the shields somewhat faster.) In Reach you have a distinct, visible health bar that regenerates, but only up to certain percentages.

You forgot ODST where health doesn't so far as I know regenerate (except perhaps to some bare minimum) and basically you have to find first aid stations randomnly placed in the streets for no real reason.
don't you know, that's how socialized healthcare works, medkits are distributed by gov't in random-ass areas.
also, I think i herd doing the dook things gets ego back, but some of it can regenerated hiding behind 'cover' like a 'pussy'

Y'know, it would've been fantastic to have a system whereby you could regenerate 'normal health' in cover but lose points from a separate 'ego' bar by doing it. Ego, on the contrary, would get filled up with combat and Duke actions and could maybe give you bonuses and some health regeneration of its own.

I'm not sure I like regenerating health to be honest. In SP it's okay, but it takes the tension out of it. Getting almost killed and running into cover doesn't have the same dramatic tension as entering a battle with your health in the red and surviving it.

And it sucks in multiplayer. I'm currently playing a game called Frontline Mission Evolved which is basically similar to heavy gear, but more experienced players get better gear in multiplayer which means fights are uneven. When fighting a better equipped player, it's a pain in the ass enough to take them down without having to chase their pansy ass as they run away or for some magic armour regenerating health (or to just get a breather and regain their core health).

Regenerating health like any game mechanic has pros and cons, and while accessible and its good for certain scenarios I don't think it's necessarily the best solution.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think part of the problem is that Front Mission Evolved is reportedly terrible.

I think part of the problem is that Front Mission Evolved is reportedly terrible.

The one review I saw for it gave it a decent, though not great score. Me and my bud just want some giant robot action since there's a dearth of Mechwarrior games. I wish that youtube vid of the warhammer taking on the Atlas would get finalized into a game, but I heard that was just a tech demo and someone cracked down on them with a C&D sort of thing. Probably Harmony friggin Gold and their Robotech bull****.

The one review I saw for it gave it a decent, though not great score. Me and my bud just want some giant robot action since there's a dearth of Mechwarrior games. I wish that youtube vid of the warhammer taking on the Atlas would get finalized into a game, but I heard that was just a tech demo and someone cracked down on them with a C&D sort of thing. Probably Harmony friggin Gold and their Robotech bull****.
Yes, it was Harmony Gold.  You may immediately commence profuse obscenities towards them, their executives, and their legal department.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Yes, it was Harmony Gold.  You may immediately commence profuse obscenities towards them, their executives, and their legal department.

They should just use the friggin "reseen" versions then. (ie . Screw harmony gold. I don't mind Robotech but until they do something more with their license than some direct-to-DVD boobfest I don't give a damn about 'em.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Less Robotech *****ing, moar kicking ass and chewing gum.

Less Robotech *****ing, moar kicking ass and chewing gum.

Yeah I still want Duke Nukem. But I want a Mechwarrior game too.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
how much of the planet would be left if you stuck duke in an atlas?????
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
What pisses me off is that the Warhammer they used in the trailer looks almost nothing like the Macross version.

Not to mention the 'legal' bull**** of "we can close your game because of this one little thing!"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:56:22 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
how much of the planet would be left if you stuck duke in an atlas?????

Hopefully not the part that Harmony Gold exists on.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

What pisses me off is that the Warhammer they used in the trailer looks almost nothing like the Macross version.

Not to mention the 'legal' bull**** of "we can close your game because of this one little thing!"

I got the impression it was just a tech demo to garner interest/investment, and they didn't actually have a license to make the game.

To be honest, the Warhammer they used does look a lot like the Macross version. While some of the details have changed, the fundamentals of the design are the same. Two-pronged foot, similar hip, two-breasted torso with 3 guns and a forward-protuding cockpit section. Missile rack on the right shoulder, spotlight on the left, etcetera. I was going to say the same thing you are, but I think in court the similarities would probably have them rule in favour of HG.

I heard that they actually were planning to make a game (see the "in-game footage" tag in the lower-right of the video), and that they had permissions from everyone but Harmony Gold.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

I heard that they actually were planning to make a game (see the "in-game footage" tag in the lower-right of the video), and that they had permissions from everyone but Harmony Gold.

Hmmn, they should still be able to just cut the unseen designs and still make the game. I've never seen any news saying the game has been cancelled, and it's still featured on the Piranha Games website: http://www.piranha-games.com/. Has there been any official indication that the game is cancelled or is it just fan speculation?

Incidentally Piranha is also working on Duke Nukem to some extent. Sounds like a good company :D

All of the "more information" stuff is over a year old, so I'm not holding on to much hope.

All of the "more information" stuff is over a year old, so I'm not holding on to much hope.

A year old? Remember we're also talking about Duke Nukem forever here, after 12 years people still have hope in that game, so don't give up hope after one year.

Also remember that court decisions take time. At worst I would think the game is on hold while HG and Mr. Fasa piss all over each other in front of the judge. Not to say the game's even in court. Who knows.

Hell I'll fire Piranha an email to see what's up if they give any bits of info.

EDIT - **** they're making that game in Vancouver. I should go get a job there.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
There I fixed it so it's more clear about most folks feelings about HG.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Harmony Gold gets no props from me until they make that live action Robotech movie. If I want to watch Macross, Southern Cross, or Mospeada I'll watch them not Robotech.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Actually you broke it, it was right the first time. :p
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL