Author Topic: Starship Schematics  (Read 14837 times)

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
i'm not one of the model wizards.
but i have to say: this looks nice.
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
this looks nice.

indeed.

What's the poly/ tris count so far?

It's pretty heavy. Just over 41k with the thruster section only 1/3 done. I've been trying to skimp on details as much as I can though. The spine of the ship is another problem. It's supposed to be a bunch of cylinders grouped together but that would probably mean an additional 10-20k. I have an idea to try to fake it though. Still I think I'm going to have to dig in and try to find savings where ever I can.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd use this version to make normal maps, and use a version one LOD less than this as LOD0 for the game.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

So should I just go full tilt boogie with the details and worry about the poly count later?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Also, not sure if you're aware of this, but there were two variants of this ship, the differences being the number and placement of those round docking clamps things.

Further to what Newman said, it's worth pointing out that you're actually modelling the version that WASN'T in the episode Scar.

Yes, BtRL actually refers to the Monarch repeatedly in the final mission when the Monarch is actually the same class as the one you are modelling and not the six legged version. That's due to the fact that the version that actually worked best changed multiple times during development (including once after voice acting had started) and it was too much work to actually fix it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I'm using this page as reference : http://www.meshweaver.com/portfolio/Battlestar_Galactica_Modelling.htm

Offline YIIMM

What they mean is that there are two, visually distinct mining ships.

The Majahual, which was the ship seen mainly in Scar, has this arrangement for its legs.

The Monarch, which is they type that you are currently modelling, looks like this.

Cosmetically, it can be easy to miss if you aren't looking out for it.

Ok, that makes sense. The only reference I was able to find for the other variant was this:

But this on has only five feet.

It's an easy fix though.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:33:43 am by rscaper1070 »

Offline newman

Which app are you using, and how are you texturing and UVW-mapping wise?

As for those renders.. could definitely use at least some ambient occlusion to get the detail more visible. I'd suggest losing the green, too - it doesn't work so well with resized thumbnails - that color gets murdered by the compression so the thumbs look bad. I'd suggest doing clay renders in some neutral gray-ish color.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I'm using 3ds max. I've just started learning how to model and have only mapped one model so far. I just found a really good set of tutorials so my skills are set to improve. You're right about the clay render, I noticed somethings right away that needs to be tweaked here and there. I need to figure out what can be handled by normal maps because this thing is up to 60k polies.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
V nice.
What tutorial set are you using?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline newman

Well, as for Diaspora, unfortunately we only let in people who can do the holy 3 well enough - modeling, unwrapping, texturing. Doing otherwise only created problems in the past. Nothing preventing you from learning by doing, however, so you shouldn't stop on this one.
Back to the model. First let's check we're talking about the same number - in Diaspora (or indeed any game) the polycount actually refers to the triangle count (can also see that by setting it in the statistics configuration window for the viewport). This is the number that is actually important as all meshes are triangulated when being converted to POF (no, that doesn't mean you should work with triangles from the start, keep using quads but keep an eye out for the tris count).
Secondly, while the model does look ok, don't get me wrong but it doesn't look like it should take up 60k - can you post a few wireframe shots of the ship so we can get an idea of the mesh topology?
Thanks.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Shade

I'd guess it's all those small details on the underside, since they're modelled in. Many of those could be done in the texture with a normal map, though, or at least simplified and then polished off with the normal map. There are a few such details on the topside as well, but below is where the real savings are to be had.

That aside, great looking model. Can't wait to see it unwrapped and textured :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline newman

I'd guess it's all those small details on the underside, since they're modelled in. Many of those could be done in the texture with a normal map, though, or at least simplified and then polished off with the normal map. There are a few such details on the topside as well, but below is where the real savings are to be had.

Until I see a wire, I have to disagree. Most of those greebles are actually simple shapes that shouldn't take much tris at all so I wouldn't normal map them just yet. Like I said, need to see a wireframe to get an idea where all the tris went. In the end it could really be those shapes in case rscaper spent a lot more tris than needed on them, but to be sure we need those wireframes. In any case the ship doesn't look to me like it should take up over 60k in it's current state.
Also, rscaper, don't forget to check if 60k is a triangle or polygon count.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:23:57 am by newman »

Just touching base here a little. You were right, the 60k count was the tri count, the poly count was still over 50k though. I ascribe that to my inexperience as a modeler. I've been diving into Digital Tutors and have been learning a lot so I think I'm going to start from scratch and see if I can't create a more efficient model.

I never had any thought of joining the Diaspora team really. What I really want is to play the game and since assets are what you guys need I thought I'd try to put a shoulder behind it. So when I put together an efficient model that looks good I'll post it here.