Author Topic: Strike Class Cruiser  (Read 25593 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
god's finger.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
God this thing is gonna have some real tactical uses.

Definitely.

Do want :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

So I'm thinking that the colouration is going to be in line with the SSD.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
This might be my monitor, but it seems to me a bit dark-ish colorwise.
Maybe a tad bit lighter?

It all depends on the in-game executor

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
An in-game Executor up to Brand's standards might be impossible to...execute?  But that's a long way off anyhow.  I'm an ISD-gray guy myself, but this looks pretty cool too.

So I've run into a strange problem. I'm trying to bake my AO, but the main hull is rendering wierd. The highest parts are rendering darker than than the lower parts, and the edges seem to be appearing in the AO. Any suggestions?

Offline newman

You need to use edge padding if you want to avoid those edges. Also, the texture appears to be quite low res, judging by that screen you posted. Are you using unique mapping?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I personally would like to see more color on the cruiser.
It definitely is more stylish than most Imperial cruisers and more suited to have colors other than boring Imperial.
I'm not suggesting to make it the Rainbow Cruiser, maybe something to accentuate the details of the model.

Just my thoughts...

Whatever you decide though, it will still look pretty amazing.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's an AO map, ambient occlusion.  It's not the base texture.  It gets overlaid onto the base texture usually to give a more realistic lighting effect, but for studying the AO map itself it's usually overlaid onto a plain white base.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

newman, the padding is at around three. The problem is that the AO almost seems inversed. On the other objects in the scene the AO works fine. But on this one mesh it's like the AO is done in reverse. Those edges are outlining raised portions, while the recessed areas arn't being darkened at all.

Okay, I fixed it. It seemed to me that it was backwards, but when I tried flipping the normals, it just came out black. So I just reset the xform and presto! The normals were all backwards. Flip them and it worked!

Offline newman

Heh, was just about to suggest that. Also, padding pnly works on the image you set up to be saved inside the rtt dialog; it doesn't work if you have it render and then save the resulting pic from the rendered frame window. So for ambient occlusion, I find that the best way is applying a white material and rendering a complete map with a padding of around 2 (ymmv). Just in case it can help.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That's an AO map, ambient occlusion.  It's not the base texture.  It gets overlaid onto the base texture usually to give a more realistic lighting effect, but for studying the AO map itself it's usually overlaid onto a plain white base.
While I did not know that, I was more replying to
So I'm thinking that the colouration is going to be in line with the SSD.
Guess I should have been more specific... >_>

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
can we see the smexy fixed maps?
also, really like the SSD colouring.

An Update:

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
looks good to me. can't wait to see the final.  :yes:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm really liking the curves. :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Very distinct look, would be hard to get it confused with any Imperial ship I can think of.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

That means I need to colour it as closely as possible to another imperial ship, so that people recognize it as imperial. BTW, there are 41 turrets on it now.