Author Topic: Elder Scrolls 5, direct sequel to Obliv?????  (Read 1599 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Elder Scrolls 5, direct sequel to Obliv?????
Well according to http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277273&site=cvg Elder scrolls 5 is in production and is going to be a direct sequel to Oblivion.

"Voice acting work for the game's characters is apparently being carried out at we speak."

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion,"

If this proved true i will be doing my happy dance as i love the elder scrolls games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Elder Scrolls 5, direct sequel to Obliv?????
Seems like it's running on Gamebryo again instead of Id Tech 5.

Writing it off as a no-buy if that's so.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
To be honest I wrote it off on the principle that it is a Bethesda game but Gamebryo certainly doesn't help

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Quote from: Judge, Jury and Executioner
stop right there criminal scum

nobody breaks the law on my watch

I'm confiscating your stolen goods

now pay your fine or it's off to jail

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs

Why the obsession with ID Tech 5?  :wtf:

Also, rumors.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Why the obsession with ID Tech 5?  :wtf:

No obsession at all. Zenimax Media, which owns Bethesda, recently acquired id. They announced that they would be leveraging the cutting-edge Id Tech 5 engine across their subsidiaries, including Bethesda. Many were hopeful that this meant the end of Bethesda's terrifyingly bad, immersion-destroying, glitchtacular implementation of the ancient, abandoned Gamebryo engine.

No such luck, apparentl.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Ohhh yeah. Would actually be pretty interesting to see the megatexture technology being utilized. Oblivion had some problems with LODs, distant land textures, even when somewhat mended with higher resolution textures and such, so that would have been an obvious plus.

I always liked Oblivion, mostly for its modding potential. The stuff some people made for it, just insane!

Offline Topgun

Gamebyro is so buggy it borders on the ridiculous and idTech 5 will probably be open source eventually.

EDIT: While it seems that they won't be using id tech, they won't be using gamebyro either :)

Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.

"We decided to really reboot our technology after Fallout 3, so we had been making plans for that and started doing some things. The id thing came along later, so it's a mix of that plus the kinds of games we do are a bit bigger and more dynamic.
~
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1112467p1.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:00:53 pm by Topgun »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's a no-buy for me since it follows off Oblivion. Which was the worst Elder Scrolls game ever made. If you're not going to blank-slate I'm not going to blank-slate you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
as long as you can mod the everliving **** out of it, it'll turn out decent in the end
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
as long as you can mod the everliving **** out of it, it'll turn out decent in the end

Indeed. Qarl's 3.0 Parallaxed texture mod, for example, made the game look quite nice.

I found that Oblivion and Fallout 3 kinda required mods to be actually fun for me. Which is a problem.

Offline Topgun

Yeah oblivion (and even Morrowind) just suck without mods. I won't buy V until someone has made a smooth leveling mod and a static world mod.