Author Topic: A Lesson in Humility  (Read 10469 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Because in FS, guns are all that really matters.
IRL (and in Falcon), gun is a backup weapon, most fights are done with missiles.
Then, it's more importaint to be able to operate flight, radar, CM and missile controls as quickly as possible.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Never had an issue myself. IRL a lot of those controls are handled with keypads and MFDs and stuff.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They're all on a HOTAS, at least in F-16.
Keypads are good when outside of combat and when you're not pulling over 6G trying to evade the enemy fire, or catch them into your sights.
At 6G, your hand would weight a few kilos, so I think it'd be easier just to move your thumb to reach the CM management switch.
Same with locking and firing missiles, I don't know how I would use radar cursor without HOTAS.
And of course, you can lock targets while evading missiles and dropping flares thanks to HOTAS (at least, my setup and real F-16 are capable of this).
On keyboard, you'd need 4 hands (one for CMS keystrokes, one for flight controls, one for cursor controls and one for target management switch).  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I didn't need four hands.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Don't you know, Battuta uses his feet!

:lol:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
****, discovered

going to have to kill you now

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did you just monkey yourself?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

EXCUSE ME

I expected better than that kind of OVERT RACISM from YOU of all PEOPLE

WE are not MONKEYS we are CHIMPANZEES there is a DIFFERENCE and I don't CARE if we all just look the SAME TO YOU

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dude, too soon. We didn't blow it all up yet.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

EXCUSE ME

I expected better than that kind of OVERT RACISM from YOU of all PEOPLE

WE are not MONKEYS we are CHIMPANZEES there is a DIFFERENCE and I don't CARE if we all just look the SAME TO YOU
Dude, chill
Have a banana
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

There are two ways to do this:

1. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Script_-_Scripted_Mouse
2. PPJoy (fake your system into thinking your mouse is a joystick)

Maybe I am an idiot, but I cannot get this to work. I create a 'config' folder in the data table of the mod I am running (fsport), create the files with the same names as the wiki,put the code in said file and in game I see zero difference. Also, I couldn't find a PPjoy that works on 64 bit windows.

Edit - One other thing, what does it mean when my directives turn red? That they were failed? And while on the subject, what is the difference between grey and white directives?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:01:11 pm by Stormy Fairweather »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Don't you know, Battuta uses his feet!

:lol:
Oh man, this is terrible. :P On the other hand, it's a kind remember that I should use my recently earned money to purchase a pair of rudder pedals.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
One other thing, what does it mean when my directives turn red? That they were failed? And while on the subject, what is the difference between grey and white directives?

White directives are active directives (have yet to be completed or failed). Blue/grey directives are completed ones, and red ones are failed.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer

There are two ways to do this:

1. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Script_-_Scripted_Mouse
2. PPJoy (fake your system into thinking your mouse is a joystick)

Maybe I am an idiot, but I cannot get this to work. I create a 'config' folder in the data table of the mod I am running (fsport), create the files with the same names as the wiki,put the code in said file and in game I see zero difference. Also, I couldn't find a PPjoy that works on 64 bit windows.

Edit - One other thing, what does it mean when my directives turn red? That they were failed? And while on the subject, what is the difference between grey and white directives?

Hello !

This mouse script just work fine for me... I use a joystick, but I wanted to give it a try.
You must not only create the mouse_script.cfg in data/config, but also copy/paste the code above ("table entry") in a file you will call "script_mouse-sct.tbm". Then, put this file into your data/tables directory.

Just tested it in FSPort. Enjoy !
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Ah haha ha ha ha.

I spent so much damn time trying to get that to work, and after trying it I find I prefer the keyboard/mouse combination I had set up. I had been putting both files into the config folder, or tables, hadn't been putting them into seperate folders. Thanks a lot for the explaination anyway.

Red are failed objectives? I had kinda figured that, but if the 'objective' is not a mission one, like taking out a squadron of fighters during an assualt on a cruiser, does it matter? Does failing objectives that are not even secondary hurt you in any way?

PS - Geez guys, I am running out of questions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:14:42 pm by Stormy Fairweather »

I would just like to thank GB, The E and Spoon for bits of this thread. It's been a bugger of a day and this was just what I needed.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
They're directives, not objectives. Objectives are quite different, and are essential for the mission. Directives are there just to help you get an idea of what you should be doing at the current moment, and may or may not be crucial to the mission outcome.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
although objectives do usually appear in the directives list.  for objectives, usually primary are required to pass the mission, but there are more than a few with impossible primaries due to the narrative that don't hold you back.  secondarys and bonus are not required to pass.
I like to stare at the sun.

Thanks for the info, that clears up a fair amount of confusion.

Although it did create two new questions, is there any point to doing all secondaries aside from a medal collection? And when you complete a mission and there are recomendations, are the recomendations in relation to secondary objectives you missed? Usually after a mission with recomendations I go back, follow the advice and complete extra objectives, but in Shell Game it recomended I watch one of the ships to see what the enemy is doing, but I killed all ships and don't really see what more I could have done. The wiki had little on it, and nothing at all about secondaries. It gives you a walkthrough, but I am unclear as to whether it hits any/all secondaries. Took me about twenty tries to nail each one of tose transports and frieghters, and I would really hate to think I still missed one.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Actually there really is no point to most secondaries aside from medal collection and kill count.
I usually just ignore the ones that are too hard.
That being said though, there is an amazing sense of accomplishment when get all the medals...