Author Topic: trying to get online  (Read 2184 times)

Ok guys I have everything from here I need to get Freespace going, I've been playing since I first found the game, all my stuff is up to date, today, just a few minutes ago I tried to play online. Nogo from the start, game warden acct is set according to the top thread in this section I am set up correctly, but when I go into multiplayer it shows the three dedicated servers, but I can't join any of them, if I click join it takes me to a screen where I can host a game, which I am no where near ready to do yet, how can I get into one of the games that are up already?

( yea I'm that anxious for yall to kill me :))

All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The reason it's asking you to host is because the first person who joins one of those dedicated servers is, as I understand it, asked to pick the options.

The reason you saw that is because nobody's likely online. Multi happens, but you gotta get on IRC and get a crew together.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Correct on all counts. If the number of players on a server is 0, the first person to join gets to "host" the game.
Let there be light
Let there be moon
Let there be stars and let there be you
Let there be monsters and let there be pain
Let us begin to feel again
--Devin Townsend, Genesis

Oh ok thanks guys:) I thought that those three servers were there to just join and wait in for others :)
I'm not sure, but I think I am able to host a game cause I had one for a minute or two until I closed it remembering that I haven't run my weekly cleaning programs yet.
I like to know for sure theres nothing on my system before other s connect :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hosting simply means you get to choose which mission gets played, etc. The dedicated server still does all the heavy lifting, you're basically a standard player.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

thats good, but I have a question, I'm running windows Vista totally updated, on a Emachine T5082 Pentium 4 dual core processor 2 gig or ram. on cox cable internet runnin through a Dynex router with a firewall on the router
Is it possible for me to host a game with my current system?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If we could host games on P2 and P3 systems with 56k modems when FS2 was released what do you think?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras