Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 585547 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Hee, that looks fun.  I should stop by for a visit.  That reminds me, I haven't seen Sara's crazy floating island yet either.
Next time if I am assed enough to be on at the same time, I'll give you a tour of the places I'm most familiar with.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Sounds good. :)

I don't know what sort of crazy lucky star I've been born under in this game, but I've yet again found a very extensive network of caverns literally right next to my house, this time on the multi server.  Pred, I think the opening might have been one of the places you mined, since the entrance was a diagonal tunnel.  However, there was one passage that was mostly blocked by gravel, and when I opened it up a bit, I found a whole bunch of caves leading off in all directions.  We're talking iron, gold, redstone, lapis, even diamond...I didn't even get to mine all the stuff I saw, since my iron pickax ran out of juice.  Now I'm really glad I chose this cliff face instead of another spot I was looking at, although I could do something really cool with that place at some point.

Oh, and does that mob spawning issue people have mentioned include animals too?  I pretty much never see any of them in my area, which means I'm almost perpetually out of food.  Mushroom stew can only get me so far.

Mongoose, give me your coordinates (Press F3) and I'll put a station up for you.
I'm at X = -1230, Y = 88, Z = 1050.  I'm kind of a little ways from the railway, but if you have a good spot for a station, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:22:58 am by Mongoose »

Offline Grimper

If you go to my house (it's on the same rail line you are, but back the other way), and go down into the basement, you'll see my farms. You can grab any grown wheat/watermelon, just make sure you replant the wheat. Also there's a free seeds chest there, take as much as you need.

Also unless everything is fully grown, don't hit the lever by the the ladder <.<
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

I grabbed Minecraft yesterday, best/worst decision ever; got a decently big castle built so far. Just need to work more on interior and find some way to keep the monsters out of it. I might just join the server(s) you guys are on to build something in the corner of the map so I don't bother anyone ;)

Something so great about building blocks, it's like reliving youth with LEGO.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Grimper

Yeh.......only youths play with lego...silly youths indeed...
<.<
*hides*

I still build star wars legos and I'm 20 u.u
Specially now that I can buy the bigger sets myself <.<
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:46:00 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Haha, no worries, I mean it positively. I was hooked within less than 10 seconds after learning how to place blocks in Creative Mode. Spent most of my evening building my castle and fending off a lot of enemies that tried to kill me. Today I've learned how Survival mode works so I'm set to join a server and build something permanent. Sadly, at work for now, so i'll have to try later today.

I personally played with LEGO till I was 16 and I had to pass my entire collection of blocks and platforms off to my nephew.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:43:08 am by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
LEGO's are eternal man.

I'm 30 and every time my niece and nephew want to play lego with me, I'm having just as much fun as they are :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Yup, I still have all mine. Whenever I play Minecraft I feel a yearning for them. ATM they're a few thousand miles away though... :blah:

Offline Aardwolf

There are three types of cave systems not including 1.8 underground additions: small, medium, large. The largest can extend all the way to bedrock and have a good chance of having visible diamond. Large cave systems aren't always very accesible via the surface, so you were pretty damn lucky.

I read something like this on the wiki, but I'm not convinced... Did this small/medium/large categorization comes from notch, or from disassembly of the java bytecode? Because I'm inclined to think it's just some idiot making distinctions where none exist.

Anyone who has played Minecraft for any length of time knows about small/medium/large/epic caves, they are obvious and easy to tell the difference between just by walking in them.

Small: short, coal, maybe some iron
Medium: still somewhat short, good odds on iron
Large: big, could take a while to explore, small odds on diamond
Epic: best way to describe it, Sara's mines. you are almost guaranteed to find diamond, but the odds of you finding every pathway on your first try are slim due to the shear size.

You don't need a guide to classify them, you can do it on your own with a little experience.

Yes, any old minecrafter can pick one of "small", "medium", "large", or "epic" which is the most descriptive for a specific cave system... but they are just words. I see no evidence to suggest these are distinct categories with different intrinsic properties, which is what the above list would suggest.

Edit: I see the wiki no longer has the small/medium/large/epic categorization... it now lists
  • Small Cave (Dud Cave)
  • Medium Cave (Splatter Cave)
  • Large Cave (Epic Cave)
Again, find me evidence that there are distinct modes of cave generation.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:23:08 am by Aardwolf »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
There are three types of cave systems not including 1.8 underground additions: small, medium, large. The largest can extend all the way to bedrock and have a good chance of having visible diamond. Large cave systems aren't always very accesible via the surface, so you were pretty damn lucky.

I read something like this on the wiki, but I'm not convinced... Did this small/medium/large categorization comes from notch, or from disassembly of the java bytecode? Because I'm inclined to think it's just some idiot making distinctions where none exist.

Anyone who has played Minecraft for any length of time knows about small/medium/large/epic caves, they are obvious and easy to tell the difference between just by walking in them.

Small: short, coal, maybe some iron
Medium: still somewhat short, good odds on iron
Large: big, could take a while to explore, small odds on diamond
Epic: best way to describe it, Sara's mines. you are almost guaranteed to find diamond, but the odds of you finding every pathway on your first try are slim due to the shear size.

You don't need a guide to classify them, you can do it on your own with a little experience.

Yes, any old minecrafter can pick one of "small", "medium", "large", or "epic" which is the most descriptive for a specific cave system... but they are just words. I see no evidence to suggest these are distinct categories with different intrinsic properties, which is what the above list would suggest.

Edit: I see the wiki no longer has the small/medium/large/epic categorization... it now lists
  • Small Cave (Dud Cave)
  • Medium Cave (Splatter Cave)
  • Large Cave (Epic Cave)

Open dynmap, look at subterranean  view. You'll see some short dud caves, some medium cave systems, and some that are ****huge furballs. It's pretty obvious.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net

I don't know what sort of crazy lucky star I've been born under in this game, but I've yet again found a very extensive network of caverns literally right next to my house, this time on the multi server.  Pred, I think the opening might have been one of the places you mined, since the entrance was a diagonal tunnel.  However, there was one passage that was mostly blocked by gravel, and when I opened it up a bit, I found a whole bunch of caves leading off in all directions.  We're talking iron, gold, redstone, lapis, even diamond...I didn't even get to mine all the stuff I saw, since my iron pickax ran out of juice.  Now I'm really glad I chose this cliff face instead of another spot I was looking at, although I could do something really cool with that place at some point.

Oh, and does that mob spawning issue people have mentioned include animals too?  I pretty much never see any of them in my area, which means I'm almost perpetually out of food.  Mushroom stew can only get me so far.

Mongoose, give me your coordinates (Press F3) and I'll put a station up for you.
I'm at X = -1230, Y = 88, Z = 1050.  I'm kind of a little ways from the railway, but if you have a good spot for a station, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Alright I found it, and I'll start construction soon. I also left you some wheat.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Aardwolf

Open dynmap, look at subterranean  view. You'll see some short dud caves, some medium cave systems, and some that are ****huge furballs. It's pretty obvious.

I have seen subterranean maps.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Steam

Well if you're going to be like that, open the code and look for yourself. It is obvious to anyone else who has played Minecraft, as proven here. If you won't accept that then fine.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE

Well if you're going to be like that, open the code and look for yourself. It is obvious to anyone else who has played Minecraft, as proven here. If you won't accept that then fine.
Seriously guys, does it even matter?  :doubt:
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net

Got the basic structure for your rail up, now I just need to lay the rail itself. Make sure you approve of the way it leads to your house.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Steam
Seriously guys, does it even matter?  :doubt:

Not really, no.

So do I really need the XOR gate Qaz? Supposedly the elevator is only for up, so a lever at the bottom to bring it back down should be enough right?

Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
hurp, brain fart, yeah, a switch at the bottom is all that's really needed.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Got the basic structure for your rail up, now I just need to lay the rail itself. Make sure you approve of the way it leads to your house.
Oh wow...I wasn't expecting something that comes right up to my doorstep.  Thanks a ton. :D

...and as soon as I get in to see it, the server hiccups.  Womp.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:29:42 pm by Mongoose »

Offline -Sara-

ATTENTION!

The storehouse is up! This is where from now on at the server we'll store any item we don't need so that we can get our hands on resources and items whenever we want. It can be accessed from the spawn point and is blended into the bridge in front of you.

In the back of the storehouse are 27 passworded storage chests, each with a small welcome gift. :) These are for the server players. Let me know when you want one: only Qaz and I know the passwords. If your password somehow gets comprimised please ask Qaz or me for a new one, or change it yourself to whatever you like.

Remember that we ALL use the storehouse. Feel free to take whatever you need, but try to leave some for others too. ;) It would be very rude to hoard all the remaining gold ingots and diamonds just because you want a bling-bling porch for your own house. Try to ask around a bit ingame when some other players are also online when you're taking rare items.

Some final notes:

* The storehouse works on the principle of taking what you need and donating (atleast some) things you don't need. If everyone takes, but nobody donates, the storehouse will eventually be empty. If you are bored and feel generous, you could always craft and donate some food, tools, armour, wool or such.

* The TNT is locked behind bars. This is done to keep it out of the hands of grievers. If you want some TNT, just ask around for someone who has access to the chest so that they can give it to you or share you the password.

* If at any point there are too few chests to store all the items you want to donate, please ask me to expand on the storehouse but don't butcher it's design in favour of functionality. The storehouse is designed to blend in with the spawn area. If you are donating cobble, dirt or any easily obtainable block and the chests are full, please discard those items instead. Nobody will use 4 chests worth of say, dirt or sandstone.

* To find the storehouse, type /warp spawn and look for the sign saying The Storehouse. Follow the arrows to get the storehouse. In a few days there will probably be a /warp store command to go there directly.

* If you need items for a project which already has it's own storage, please do not raid the storehouse if the same items are available at that project's storage. This goes both ways: if you need items for say, your private house, please take it from the storehouse and NOT from someone's project. Project storages are for those projects while the storehouse is for all your houses, for adventuring, making yourself new tools and so on.

* And last. Ofcourse don't rob or grief the storehouse. The server has logs on all the actions we take and many observative players will all too gladly point out a thief or griever. The storehouse is here so that we can make this game easier for eachother, not to give eachother a hard time. :yes:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Can we post our minecraft stories/experiences or is this not the place?