Author Topic: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art  (Read 27307 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art
Speaking of TOS Centurions&Cylon fighters, the authors of reimagined BSG used old designs as a tribute towards their predecessors, but that can be considered a lack of originality. In my opinion, it's both. This is one of the main rules of contaminatio.

Let's not argue about this. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I'm sure canon will prevail or they run the risk of losing their dedicated audience.
It is just too obvious to blow it quickly with unlikely changes like those images.
Obviously someone not familiar with maintaining proper theme or else they were told to deviate quite simply for the sake of testing fan loyalty.

Offline newman

Well, concept art is a phase where you'll see a lot of "wild" ideas. Doesn't really mean that's what the show will look like.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I want the wild deviation, the 70s Centurions and raiders are so baaaaaad

Offline newman

You kids have no appreciation for classic sci fi. 70's sci fi was so cheesy it was cool. And doing a modern redesign based on those that works is awesome.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
ITT: massive nostalgic fanboys who would rather have the crappy old designs instead of good, new designs because then 'it wouldn't be the same'
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
ITT: massive nostalgic fanboys who would rather have the crappy old designs instead of good, new designs because then 'it wouldn't be the same'

Good point there.
I gonna write a a few suggestions for reimagined FS2 ships, and post them on the FSU board.
All the upgraded meshes look exactly like the 10 year old ships from retail, just with more detail.
That's so yesteryear.

A mix of the Firefly, the Eagles from Space 1999 and Battleship Yamato would make a Badass new Orion class Destroyer.
And a mix of a BSG Raptor and Flipper would make an awesome new Hecate design.

:P

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
All the upgraded meshes look exactly like the 10 year old ships from retail, just with more detail.
Actually, there's a good few that do, like the current mvp medusa, apollo, ursa, dragon, TAC 1, Chronos,, etc. The list goes on.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline newman

I'm just saying, it's possible to do a modern take on an old design that's both done well and isn't a blatant ripoff. Case in point, the Galactica, or the modernized tos raiders from "razor". You can still see the connection to the original Battlestar Galactica but everything's so much better :P
Now of course they could have gone a completely different route and make the Galactica not have those pods but say a single central landing bay, and made Cylons look like something out of Transformers - the question is, why even call it Battlestar Galactica if you're not going to keep any familiarity with the original one? Just make it your own new franchise then and don't be constrained by anything.

I thought you all would like this. Especially if you make models for a 1cwar release it would come in handy.

The "MK1 Raider"

And the "MKI-B" Raider.

By the way sorry the pics are so big. Im not sure how to post them smaller.Edited:Thanks newman!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:14:43 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline newman

By the way sorry the pics are so big. Im not sure how to post them smaller.

Instead of using [img] tags, you use [lvlshot].

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The Raptor looks kind of Tonka-Toyish.

Other than that they seem to be pretty decent concepts. I'm  assuming the "Cython" is the female android thing? Interesting take on a first gen "skinjob".

Offline newman

I'm  assuming the "Cython" is the female android thing? Interesting take on a first gen "skinjob".

No, it's the huge sandworm-from-Dune-sized robotic snake you somehow missed :P

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Oh, it's the thing he's shooting in #3? That's pretty cool. :) I kind of just glossed over that picture.

Offline newman

No, it's not cool. Neither is turning BSG into Star Wars prequels.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
well, it is "kinda" cool. It's just not BSG-ish.

I don't mind huge metal robot worms and female robot-human hybrids at all.
In a sci-fi universe that supports stuff like that, e.g. Star Wars, and billions of animes.
Just not in nBSG.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:45:06 am by Angelus »

I've only seen the original BSG a handful of times, mainly because it was so crappy IMO, I couldn't stand to watch it. That being said, I still prefer the reimagined old-school Cylons to anything in those concept images. Why? Because it's canon, because it fits the BSG image, and because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I liked the old Raiders, that Mk1-B is interesting though.
I did make my own stealth version deviation to mess around with in BtRL.
http://www.kewltoyz.com/GameShots.shtm
But I haven't gotten back to messing with the stuff in a long time.
I prefer canon based models though. My deviation was a bit over the top. =P

The Re-Imagined Centurions I believe are about as good as it should get.
Subtle variations are fine, but they looked damn near perfect to me.

Offline Striker

Am I the only one who noticed the skinjob's similarity to the Zoe skinjob at the end of Caprica? I'm betting it's an evolution of whatever she was or what became of her. Obviously skinjobs like her either never became convincing enough to pass as human, or more likely they never saw major usage to a point at which their existence was common knowledge.

As for the Cython, I look at it this way. It's a war show, most likely taking place way more on the soil (or snow, or whatever) of the Twelve Colonies. We saw no full on ground warfare in BSG aside from skirmishes. It seems that B&C is gonna be more of a war show than BSG was; imagine a show all about war that only has 3 types of enemies. Gotta have some variety in there, right??

Granted, I think it'll be interesting to see how they make cool looking **** that (hopefully) spans the gap between U87's and the RDM Centurions without making the Model 0005's and old school Raiders not look obsolete and out of place.

But let's be honest, it's BSG and we're gonna watch it regardless.
...lurk

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I want a centurion tank.