Author Topic: The reimergence of a legend....  (Read 13749 times)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
The reimergence of a legend....
There was a convo on this somewhere, but I don't remember where.....

*goes to search*

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Back on subject, personally I beleave the Colossus had tremendous firepower and massive hull plating according to the story... but like all games their was engine limitations. I think when you got victory reports form the Colossus (command breifings), it meant that the Colossus used the weaponary it actually had from the cutscene. But if you took that much weapons and tried to cram it onto one ship, the big C would just take down anything lickity-split... now wheres the fun in that? The Sathanas on the other hand, was built by :v: specifically to do that.... It sees something... that something dies... and because it only has 4 beams to do the job, the engine can handle it.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Well, actually the cutscene was pretty correct at least about the beam weaponry. Sure, there are no missile launchers in the C, but who needs them anyway. If you've got BFGreens, missile launcher don't make a difference.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
missile launchers make for excellent fighter deterent, and the Myrmidon can carry Helios bombs, in my opinion, because its meant for hit and run missions, a wing of them armed with Helios can take out anything smaller than a destroyer in one run, and destroyers in 2

Originally posted by Blue Lion
There was a convo on this somewhere, but I don't remember where.....

*goes to search*

I think it was back on the VBB ( :(  ) , and the two theries suggested were.
A: Although the mymadons capacity for weapons isnt as big as a herc for example, but the actual dimensions of the ammo compartment on a myrm allowed it to carry a warhead of large size, just look at a pic of a myrm if u dont understand

... Or B:  It was just a mistake, someone clicked Helios instead of harpoon while making freespace.

Personally that makes the fact it can carry helios makes the myrm the best allround ship in my opinion.

Pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have a feeling that it was accidental; the Helios is supposed to be a "super bomb," and only the heaviest bombers in the game are supposed to be able to carry it. It makes no sense to have a space superiority fighter carry bombs, and is it also a bit suggestive that it cannot carry Harpoons (important for SS fighters), while most other ships can.

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Stunaep
Sure, there are no missile launchers in the C, but who needs them anyway. If you've got BFGreens, missile launcher don't make a difference.

:nod:

A capital ship needs just beams, anti-fighter and anti-capital ship beams. It doesn't need flaks (but those are pretty good), or laser turrets (um, useless ;)).

Edit:
Originally posted by beatspete
Personally that makes the fact it can carry helios makes the myrm the best allround ship in my opinion.

I agree that it's pretty good thing that it can carry the helios, but at least in main campaign I don't know a mission where you could use Myrmidon with helios. But of course in other missions you can if allowed. :nod:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2002, 11:47:22 am by 665 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Some of the multiplayer mission allow both the Myrmidon and the Helios, so it can be done there. :p :D

Sure, there are no missile launchers in the C, but who needs them anyway.

Actually it has some of those MX-52 things, but those are simply pathetic. :p

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
What are the point of the lasers anyway? They dont do any damage unless the game is on very hard and you have no shields. Volition should of boosted the damage and speed of the lasers to make them more effective.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
either you're a very bad shot or something's severely wrong with you, lasers work very well.  Anyone dependent on missiles cant aim, and anyone who thinks lasers dont do damage needs to get on PXO for a tvt against Shaz.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Originally posted by CP5670
I have a feeling that it was accidental; the Helios is supposed to be a "super bomb," and only the heaviest bombers in the game are supposed to be able to carry it. It makes no sense to have a space superiority fighter carry bombs,

Reminds me of the X-Wing. There's an idea for a campaign..a squad of Myrmidons. But I'll hold it in.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
Originally posted by LtNarol
either you're a very bad shot or something's severely wrong with you, lasers work very well.  Anyone dependent on missiles cant aim, and anyone who thinks lasers dont do damage needs to get on PXO for a tvt against Shaz.

I wasn't talking about primary weapon lasers, I was talking aboout the lasers on the cruisers and capital ships
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Laser turrets are decent for shooting down bombs, especially the quick firing ones on the arms of a Cain or Lilith (too lazy to check the name).  They also at least force fighters and bombers in the vicinity to dodge.  On higher difficulties, a one or two direct hits from a turret can sometimes bring down a whole shield quadrant on a fighter.

On the other hand, I agree that the turrets should have boosted speed and power to make them almost as viable as flak guns.

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
They should also have more mass to them so they push fighters and bombers away.

Offline Stunaep

Originally posted by Shiva Archon

On the other hand, I agree that the turrets should have boosted speed and power to make them almost as viable as flak guns.

IMO flak guns are more of an annoyance. They fire fast, correct, but if you're good at shield management, they can be dealt with. A true nightmare to a bomber pilot are the fighterkiller missiles on the Deimos, Sobek, etc.

Which brings me to the point, why are corvettes and certain cruisers (ok, the Aeolus) better protected against bombers than capital ships. Compared to the size, Deimos for example has a lot more firepower/m2 than any destroyer. Not to mention the deadly AAA and fighterkillers. I'd take on a Hecate anytime, but a Deimos.... heh, makes me think.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
if you're going after a Deimos or Hecate, go for a face shot, theres very little there to stop you.  As for the laser turrets, they're more powerful against hull than maxims, that makes them good anti capital ship weapons.  The fact that they dont push fighters away can be attributed to the fact that they're energy based weapons (though i doubt they're actual lasers, they're too slow for that).

Offline Redfang

Well, those laser turrets don't even have the huge tag, and they're slow and don't make that much damage, but on insane they're pretty bad, indeed. But still not as nearly deadly as flak or beams.

Originally posted by Stunaep

IMO flak guns are more of an annoyance. They fire fast, correct, but if you're good at shield management, they can be dealt with. A true nightmare to a bomber pilot are the fighterkiller missiles on the Deimos, Sobek, etc.

Well, I guess that flak cannons, anti-fighter beams, and fighterkiller (actually I don't know about them, but Piranhas are pretty deadly) missiles are all pretty deadly. But flak guns, at least on harder difficulties do pretty a lot of damage. :nod:

Offline Stunaep

Originally posted by LtNarol
if you're going after a Deimos or Hecate, go for a face shot, theres very little there to stop you.  

Yeah, but an Orion doesn't even have flak (correct me on that) and you can just fly into one of Hecate's many blind spots, load the Helios/Cyclops and blast off.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Try boosting the rate of fire and speed of the laser turret projectiles (along with some other changes); I did this for my campaign and they are actually quite effective now at warding off a number of threats. ;) Also, by default, the Huge and the Megafunk turrets are actually worse than the smaller ones because while they do more damage, they fire at about half the speed and move too slowly to hit anything. :p

Yeah, but an Orion doesn't even have flak (correct me on that) and you can just fly into one of Hecate's many blind spots, load the Helios/Cyclops and blast off.

That's quite true; anyone who has played the Rebel Intercept mission would recognize that. :D

Offline Stunaep

Originally posted by CP5670

That's quite true; anyone who has played the Rebel Intercept mission would recognize that. :D

:D