Author Topic: United States Congresswoman Shot  (Read 17821 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: United States Congresswoman Shot
Aw someone called the thread on it? I was rather enjoying the hilarious twist. :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, back on topic, looks like the shooter was registered as an independent voter. He also believed the Government practiced Mind Control through Grammar.

Looks like this guy fell out of the mental tree hitting every branch on the way down....

Edit: Though I still suspect the barely veiled threats that certain quarters have made over the last few years encouraged him, people like that are looking for excuses to behave as they do, he would have found one sooner or later, but there was certainly an environment of "I don't condone violence (nudge nudge, wink wink)" from various angles that probably made it happen sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:49:42 pm by Flipside »

Will you settle for an AA battery next to an expended 5"/54 casing?
While I have some doubts about people carrying 5 inch guns the way they do with 7.62 mm's, I'd sure like to see that. :p
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
So here's an update regarding those vile picketing plans: apparently the Arizona state legislature unanimously rush-jobbed a law that makes it illegal to picket or protest within 100 yards of a funeral.  Apparently a similar law in Ohio was upheld by a Circuit Court of Appeals, so there's a good chance that this will stand.  Of course, people are still free to protest somewhere further away from the site, but at least this combined with the human shield should ensure that the girl's family doesn't have to see that filth.  Good on the Arizona lawmakers for working together that quickly.

Offline Solatar

So here's an update regarding those vile picketing plans: apparently the Arizona state legislature unanimously rush-jobbed a law that makes it illegal to picket or protest within 100 yards of a funeral.  Apparently a similar law in Ohio was upheld by a Circuit Court of Appeals, so there's a good chance that this will stand.  Of course, people are still free to protest somewhere further away from the site, but at least this combined with the human shield should ensure that the girl's family doesn't have to see that filth.  Good on the Arizona lawmakers for working together that quickly.

That's amazing that they through together legislation that quickly.  I'm actually quite impressed. :yes:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's also another thing that people should hate Fred Phelps for, in his rush to abuse his First Amendment rights, he may well be damaging those rights for other people. That said, it's a very specific law, I don't see any real direct risk from it, but it's still annoying that, in abusing the tolerance America has shown them, they are causing tiny little chips to be knocked out of the very law the requires that tolerance.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, when you put it that way, the guy's even more of an asshole for driving things to this point.  But at the same time, I don't see this specific law as being some sort of significant infringement on free speech.  The concept of funerals or memorial services being very personal, respectful experiences is something that cuts across all cultures, and I'd like to think that pretty much any sane person would gladly give up the "right" to be an asshole at someone else's funeral so long as no one could b an asshole at theirs.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh, I agree, by itself it isn't a danger, I suppose it's just ridiculous to my mind that we would need a law telling people to respect the feelings of a murdered 9 year-old girl's family, I'm pretty sure that the Founding Fathers of the US expected people to exercise a certain level of self-control using their own intelligence and not just pointing blindly at the document and saying "But it says I have the right to!". That thinking risks turning the Constitution from a 'living, breathing document' into, almost, religious doctrine.

It's a Catch 22 situation, I've always respected the US Constitution, for all the arguments over interpretation, it's probably one of the best intentioned documents in the world, but I seem to recall that it mentions the 'Right to Dignity', and that, I think, is what people should be aiming at when dealing with the Westboro protests, protesting at a funeral is abusing the victims right to dignity.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I seem to recall that it mentions the 'Right to Dignity'
Not specifically, but it does mention this:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I seem to recall that it mentions the 'Right to Dignity'

You're thinking of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union most likely. Which definitely did include that right.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ah, that could quite possibly be it.

It's a difficult situation, how do you defend the Rights of everyone involved in these sorts of situation? As far as I'm concerned, the Freedom of Speech should not only end at someone's chin, as the old saying goes, it should also end at someone's heart.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Have the police made any progress on this supposed maybe sorta accomplice? I haven't been able to find any mention of him in more recent news postings.

Yeah, he was just a taxi driver, they're ignoring him. In other news:

Shooting prompts surge in gun sales across America

America. **** Yeah. :blah:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's just.....depressing :(

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Really depressing, but expected.

It's like when the Obama administration was going in, the surge of gun sales because people worried that tighter gun control would be part of his platform.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline iamzack

I want a handgun when I eventually move into my own place. I wouldn't have any bullets, because I have poor hand-eye coordination, but I could use it to threaten an intruder, maybe. Anyway, if it didn't work, I'd make sure to get a nice heavy gun so I could just chuck it at somebody's head.

It's a terrible thing that someone like me is allowed to own a gun.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Have your cat trained in schutzhund
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well Zack, if you get a gun...

I'd suggest that you get a very large Smith & Wesson. That way, even if you have no bullets, you can at least bludgeon the intruder to death with a massive pistol.

:p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

M1911A1.  Large, heavy, and semi-automatic.  Do I need to mention the amount of nearly-excessive overkill a .45ACP round will be?  Rule #37 doesn't apply if you want to minimize or prevent collateral damage.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Again, no bullets for Zack.

A Smith and Wesson .50cal pistol will effectively double as a club, and its comparatively simple mechanisms (to that of an automatic pistol) mean that you can thrash, beat, and bludgeon with confidence.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Since actual performance as a projectile weapon is not necessary I tend to think a flintlock pistol would work pretty well for her since the thing was essentially meant to shoot once and then be used as a mace afterward. 

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”